Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Gibbons
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: bill Reply with quote

Bill, it is fun
I have enjoyed your interests and glad Kevin came on to save the day ..

You have a ton of stories that I know I would like to hear and I know others would too . You are full of history ..Have you wrote them down ???

I have started my own life history not much but its going forward !

Enjoy your posts !!

Aunt Zoe was your aunt .... Did you spent any time with her ???

We enjoyed her .......
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and connie my e-mail at the office has changed I don't even know what it is right know. My home email is kgibbons@blazeconnect.net but I won't be home until november. But my wife will get it. I would love copies of the famaly tree. Let Glenda know or send it to her and she will getr me a copy. I finally got her on here to email you bill. Thats is hard.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Kevin

Thanks for your e-mail addy

Bet you will be glad to get home in nov...
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I will be glad to get home. I thought I will add a little history to the post. My dad and grand parents move to the island in 1923 and my grandfather was a logger. My father used to go to school at the sand bay school house. He had a ferry boat that ran in the 1940's he also had the first one that carried a car. He also carried the US mail while he was running. He was supervisior for 17 yrs on the Island and one of the big things he was responsible for was getting the new dock which is the dock that Curt parks at now. He Worked on getting electricity and telephones on the island which we got. He wasn't the supervisior when we did get telephones though (Pete Fisher) was. He was a competor of the plaunt family which I was also,with the ferry boats. Ray Plaunt and him were very good freinds for life. The same way that Curt Plaunt and I have been good friends all of our life. Even though we don't always agree. I ran the North Star ferry from 1975 to 1989 when I sold it to Jim Nagy. I also had a gas and fuel oil delivery company on bbi. And had bulk propane and some 100lb bottles for sale. When I first started running the fare was $!.25 and when I quit it was $3.00. Time has sure changed.

I also had a small escavating business on the island only for a couple years. My son Eric is now running a Esscavating business on the Island. I try to stay out of the politics on the island as much as I can now because everyone starts fighting and start not liking you for your oppion and I don't like that. And I have fell into that, but now I try to stay out of it and stay friends with everyone that I can. I have seen friends come a full circle on the island a couple times. So while your mad at one person tommorrow you are best friends. It isn't worth it.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to everyone in November Goodbye for now. Good luck with everything Bill and if you want to get a hold of Glenda do by email not on the site because she doesn't check the site.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I enjoyed your post . I was around when you first started the boat ferry ..the first boat before the northstar .. I do not know why you quit but you did a really good job ... one time I had to lay behind you up in the cabin , remember ?? that was the week we were all heading downstate because our cousin crashed and burned at the airport on the island ..
you helped us out alot ..

Your Dad sure did do great things too

I like to read history ..it brings back alot of good memories too ..
we talk about you and the North Star ...it was fun !!

thats one of the very bad things about the island .. you try to get along with everyone and it just can not be done ..I tried..
trying to make a living there is hard for that reason too ...

its great if you do not have to depend on making a living there .
there seems like there are alot of folks working there now ..am I seeing things correct ???
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Gibbons Family Reply with quote

TIG The last time I saw Aunt Zoe was when Nancy and I came to MI. We had stopped at her relatives in Hopkins, MI. We went to Monroe to check out some family history on the Weiss side. and we stopped to see her in Charlotte. Very Happy Bill
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet she has glad to see you ..

Its been a long time since I have seen her
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: