Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Bruce Lord.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Bruce Lord. Reply with quote

Hey, Bois Blancers. If anyone sees Bruce Lord up there this week, tell him Dan Hitzeman of Fort Wayne says, "Hi!" Thanks and Happy Fourth of July, mine and Bobbie's 10th anniversary.
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Another Promotion. Reply with quote

Wow! I went from "black fly bait" to "lost buoy" to "Stone Skipper" in just one week. Gee, Rob. I might never make it to "Resident Royalty" but thanks.
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Posting Ranks. Reply with quote

...going for "Beach Glass Hoarder".
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: s Reply with quote

Just keep coming back and comment and you WILL make it Smile
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Bruce Lord Sightings... Reply with quote

"So who's seen Bruce, Mary Lee and Doug?"
I wish I could be up this week too.
Bobbie and I were up at Pictured Rocks and Mackinac Island the second week of June.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Bruce and Doug Reply with quote

Bruce stopped in at my place Monday, with Doug riding their John Deere machine. I"m home now, unfortunately. I hope to get back up there by the 8th or so.

They were having a good time, methinks. Doug drove the machine home.
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Bruce Lord Sighting #1 confimed for ol' Danno. Reply with quote

Thanks John Elmer Engel. I've seen your picture in the album and have read some of your posts. You look cool, like somebody I'd relate with.
Bruce is my number one contact on BBI. He lives about 10 miles from me in Allen Co., IN. He has a nice little family. He's a first rate builder. If you've seen his log castle in the trees up there then you know what I mean. His, Indiana home is impressive too.
I've only managed to get to BBI once, last year after gazing upon it from across the Straits for 40 years wonderin' "What the heck's goin' on out there?" He and Mary Lee gave me an excellent tour of the island after my own partial one.
He's up there at a great time the lucky buck for the 4th and fun day.
Anyone sees him tell him Dan said, "Hi, you Harlan Hoosier!"

Last edited by djhitz on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Tree Hugging. Reply with quote

I see you must be a tree hugger, John. We too. Bois Blanc (White Woods) Island is so full of great trees you can't even hardly see the houses through the Mackinaw State Forest.
Thanks to our trees, we can all literally breathe (O2) easier.
You ever hugged the "Giant White Pines of Taquemmenon?" We have. They're some 175+ feet tall. I understand there's some pretty giant white pines on Bois Blanc. Some of the birches are big, too. It's the biggest concentration of big birches I've ever had the priveledge to traverse.
Bruce kept as many trees as close to his house as possible. That's very commendable. If any would break off in a storm, that metal roof would deflect 'em like bullets off Superman's chest.

Last edited by djhitz on Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Bruce Reply with quote

You have a great guide for BBI. His place is awesome. The porch view from his ridge into the forest is simply great.
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Lord. Reply with quote

Yeah! Who'd a thought a little ol' boy from Indiana like Bruce could go up to Bois Blanc Island and become the "Lord of Lake Mary Forest".
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Bruce Reply with quote

Right on.

Bruce's story of how he got on BBI is just one example of how so many on BBI got their introduction to the 'isle'. My "Ohio" neighbors are similar in that they heard it from a friend who heard about it from a friend, etc. I lived in Cheboygan for 9 years and NEVER went over to BBI...never. I finally, out of curiosity, spur of the moment, said to my wife, "lets check that island out." as we were camping at Cheboygan State Park. That was when I moved from Virginia back to Bay City. Anyway, I loved it and bought, and camped, and am perpetually building...(with play time stuck in between)
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Independence Day. Reply with quote

Happy Fourth of July, Bois Blancers. Happy Fourth of July, Lord family.
You're awesome.
It's Bobbie's and mine "Tenth Anniversary!" Marriage to the right person is a "good" thing, despite all the stupid stereotypes.
Put your flags out, pitch in to clean up America. I don't think Iron Eyes Cody would get teary eyed over Bois Blanc Island.
Think back to those men, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, Lewis Morris. Stephan Hopkins and more and their wives and children on that great day in 1776. We Bois Blancer's know:
Quote:
"the Laws of Nature and Nature's God entitle them"

It's a free country but everything in it cost money and it's costed a lot of lives, too. God still blesses, America.
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Dan- I ran into Bruce and family at the Tavern last night and he laughed when I told him you said hi. Happy Anniversary to you and yours...many many more.
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Bruce Lord Sighting #2. Reply with quote

Hey IslandNana. Thanks for passing on my message to Bruce. What's the name of that tavern? I understand it's changed hand a couple of times in recent years. Is it called the "Eagles Nest" a befitting partnered name to "Hawk's Landing", eh? It's not just "Bois Blanc Island Tavern, is it?
Thanks for the anniversary wish. This is such a great site. You people are all so wonderful and I learn more and more on the computer every time.

"The Lord's are with us."

Happy Fourth of July, I wish we were there.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm missin it too.. That's Barb's Boblo Tavern.. Unless the right person comes along with the right amount of money.. Cool
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Susie..... Laughing
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

I'm a little late but I hope all of you had a Happy 4th !! ..

When I lived on the island I often thought of the cheboygan people and wondered why more of them did not come over to check it out ..
I guess it could be a fear of the unknown ??

I'm glad the people that did finally go for it is there enjoying what I have known all my life .... and I can not be there each summer so all of you are sort of enjoying it for me too?? I hope so ..

Things were way diffret back then ..some times they did not have a place to eat on the island nor a bar ...boy did my Grandma fight against that !! ..Good on her ! Very Happy she did not win .but she fought with all her might what she believed in ! .
But yet I can see packing a lunch get your car over ..at that time Ray Plaunt could only haul one car at a time but that is all we needed back then.. ..I can not believe yet all those cars going over at one time and that is only one boat load ..where do they all go ?? Guess the island still has lots of places to hide in all those trees !!.... ... I can appeciate those trees now since I have lived in the wide open spaces of Nevada ..I love it there though too ...

I really feel very lucky or blessed to be here today typing

because I spent the 4th in the hospital .. It could have been my very last day here on this earth ... I will never look at life ever the same again ..
We have to enjoy every moment ......
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: The Island Girl: Resident Royalty! Reply with quote

Dear Connie Faye, Whatever ails you,"Darn it to heck!" I hope with God's help you're able to beat it back.
Bobbie and I have lost 3 out of 4 parents in the past two years. We've also manifested health problems that we can't get rid of at this point. We understand ailing, suffering and loss.
I recently spied a facial photo of you in the album from 2003 and you look a vibrant as your photo from your heading swimming by the old dock. You still maintain the little girl spirit. I'm glad you were a happy kid. I was too. I had great parents. I think that was the key.
I resent the comment made to you by some one about "dirt hadn't been invented yet" by 1955. I happen to have a sister who was born that year.
I, without even having met you think you are one of the best citizens Bois Blanc Island has to offer.
If dirt hadn't been invented yet then sand had been and I've had my toes in the same sand as you and loved it.
I just wanted to honor you in my own way in a series of posts hopefully designed to mess with Bruce Lord's head.
Seriously IslandGirl, our prayers of thanks recovery and God's strength go out to you.
Sincerely, Daniel J. Hitzeman

Last edited by djhitz on Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Daniel Reply with quote

I hope somehow you will understand how much your message meant to me .. I feel in someway you knew that I needed to hear just how you felt .. you put it all out here for God and Everyone to see not even worrying a tad bit how anyone felt .. and because you were so free with your feelings you touched me heart ..and for that thank You !!

All my life I have been known as the girl that was always smiling ... My cousin that works at the post office nicknamed me MS. Social Butterfly .. Hes one of my Fav. Cousins ... I grew up with boy cousins and 3 brothers ..and that was a very good thing !! ..I was a bit spoiled to say the least ! ..

The past few years have been a real trial for me .. the spark and smile started to fade away but
I have my Great Grandma Kimballs Grit and I have hung in there fighting all the way !! .. This too will past ! ..guess it is in the plan .something I have had to go though to make me stronger yet ..because I believe everything that happens to me has a reason and if it is only for me to learn somethng from it ..its worth it ..

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses ..I too understand how that is as I learned early in life that very special people leave us and we have to be strong to over come .. I lost my father at the age of 9 ..a couple of years after the picture was taken of me with the dock .. I was my Dads little girl .(and proud to say I was born after my Dad came back from fighting in World War 2 )... it was a great loss ..he drown at the age of 33 leaving my mom and 4 kids to raise alone but we were not alone really we had my Grandpa and Grandma Calkins on the island and just a trail in the woods from them ...
yes all said and done ..my childhood was a VERY HAPPY one ..how could it not be ?? with a wonderful mother and the loving Grandparents I had that took up the lost space in my life after my Dad left me ?? and living on one of Gods Fav places ..the island ...
my Dad was working on Mac Island and he would drive his boat to the west end of the island when he came home and my mom and older brother Dave would go pick him up for the week end then take him back
to the west end so he could go back to Mac Island ..well one weekend my mom felt he should not come home and she tried to change his mind and stay there but he said he had to come home ..he missed his kids ..well, he never made it ..so life had to go without him... This was 1957 .
Then in 1988 my Brother too was lost coming back from a day on Mac with family ...and he left 3 kids ..
The thing that we always were thankful for was they both were found ..
this is getting a little long ... but isn't this site here to get to know each other ??? ...

I want to welcome you to the island .... I hope your health will allow you to come back and keep coming back to our island ..

I have a long way to go yet to over come this health issue I have but
still planning to be on the island in just a short few weeks ....
smelling the pine trees .. walking the beach .... having a bit of time alone and being with my family will surely help me ... I need that fix ...
I'm still planning ..but yet I will have to make a descion in the next few days ...

Again Enjoy the island and for me too !!

~~Connie Faye~~
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Respect of the White Wooded Island. Reply with quote

Hey, look what I did. I originally started this "Bruce Lord" subject matter to get a long distance "Hoosier Howdy" off to Bruce Lord which I did according to IslandNana, thanks again. I also made a very nice lady "theislandgirl" feel better after a trying time. I meant every word too. You and we should always maintain the heart of a little child. Our one responsibility in life is to make it through a 24 hour period still breathing and if you can do it with a smile, you got style. I hope you get to feeling better. Very Happy
My Dad and three uncles were WWII vets, too. I wish my Dad would've been hanging around your Dad on that fateful day. My Dad was a lifeguard. He died 2 and 1/2 years ago at 81.
I'll be back to Bois Blanc eventually. I have to see the "ridges".
In the meantime I'm going to get off the Bruce Lord subject to pop up somewhere else. He's back home again in Indiana.
John Elmer Engel if you're Lake Mary Muse then you better get to singing over by Lake Mary.
Has anyone seen the photographic work of Alec Chambers? Wow, it's good to have you aboard, dude.
I think this post makes me a "beach glass hoarder". Sionora for now!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sooo glad you are enjoying the site and meeting everyone.. It will be great to git to know ya here and hopefully on the Rock too.. Cool
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: The "ROCK"? Reply with quote

Pray tell, Al'sSister. (Was ist der Stein?) What is the "ROCK"?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: quite the guy Reply with quote

Love your spirit !
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few of us that fondly refer to the Island as the Rock.. My dad used to refer to it as Alcatraz! (sp?) He learned to love it like the rest of us over the years.. LOL! Our little Island has many names.. Cool
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well believe it or not it is me! I'm back from vacation and trying to figure out why I don't just stay there. After spending six months up in a row up there I have never been the same, always wanting to go back. I made many friends that year, but some have drifted away and I'm sorry to say I have forgotten some names. Luckily I run into alot of old friends when I get to visit, but there never seems to be enough time to talk and get to know how they are all doing now. It is sad every time when I leave because I didn't get a chance to visit and get reaquianted with so many. We are always ready for visitors and appreciate every time we have one. One of my favorite things is visitors. And Dan I will talk to you soon and I appreciate your thoughts. I sat on the north shore at Mcray Bay for about two hours last week and .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: