Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hi from the Millers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Hi from the Millers Reply with quote

Hi. My name is Doug Miller. My wife Grace and my one and one-half year old son John own property on the west end. We bought the land in 2000, after several years of indecision and quite possibly driving Sheila crazy! As many of you know, the prices have continued to escalate so I am happy I finally bit the bullet even at that comparatively late date. We are very happy with our property and hope to build a small cottage as soon as we can. One of the reasons we bought the land, aside from the great view of the Bridge, was that it contains the remnants of a lime kiln which we of course plan to preserve.

I first came to the Island in the summer of 1976, the bicentennial year. I was a camp counselor at Camp Hayo-Went-Ha, a YMCA camp on Torch Lake. With another counselor, we brought a group of 14 year old boys to the Island for 3 to 5 nights (I can't quite remember how many it was) of hiking and camping. My memory of the Island from that trip is a bit vague, but I do remember a general store of some kind (maybe the same one Sheila owns now?) and remember that the Island seemed almost empty--even more so than now. Mostly I remember the freeze-dried food we carried with us--it tasted like hot, wet, salty cardboard.

I didn't come back to the Island again until 1993. I was working with Maryann Middaugh in Lansing. She and her husband Mick have a cottage on the west end and she told me about the A-frame cottage that Glen and Judy Munro rented out on the west end. I rented the cottage for a week and have been going back almost every summer since.

That very first summer I stayed at the Munro's cottage I began looking at the real estate for sale. I still have the listing sheets that I got from Steve Beagle--and the prices look awfully good today! I seem to remember for example a 400+ feet of frontage parcel near Sand Bay with 10 or more acreas of land for about $45,000.

I think the best quality of BBI is the peacefulness it provides. Going up north on the mainland often doesn't seem any different than downstate. But once I am on the Plaunt ferry leaving Cheboygan, I feel like I am really up north. And while it is very peaceful on the Island, we can still watch the ferrys heading to Mackinac and see the lights on the Bridge and on Mackinac Island--and even go to busy Mackinac if we desire. It is really the best of both worlds.

Grace and I look forward to coming to the Island for many years, and look forward to our son and his many cousins coming for many years after that.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Hello..... Reply with quote

Welcome and nice to see you here! You are among alot of Island lovers on this site. Check it out and join in. Were you the one asking about Lime Kilns? My bro Mike probably knows more than anyone, but he is quite busy most the time. I did email and ask him about them, hopefully we will here from him. Again, Welcome! Lisa
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the site! Know what ya mean by the west end view, thumbs_up! love it! What do you know about the lime kilns? I haven't read or researched anything about them at all. I'd like to see the remains someday.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to meet you all on the Island some time later this year. I don't know anything about the lime kilns for sure, but my understanding is that they were used to produce lime which was used, among other things, for the mortar on the fort on Mackinac Island. I have assumed that to mean that soldiers from the fort may have spent time on the west end operating the kiln. But I am just speculating (wildly!). I do recall reading in historical info about Bois Blanc that a lime kiln may have been operated on Bois Blanc around 1820 or so. But whether it is the one that is on our property or whether ours is a much later one I just don't know.

By the way, Rob, my wife Grace's dad lives in Big Rapids--retired there several years ago. And my best friend from college, Bill Swartz, grew up in Big Rapids--his dad was a pharmacy prof at FSU and he and his brothers (all over 6'4") were basketball stars back in the 70s. Small world. You are more then welcome to see the kiln anytime--your property is pretty close to ours--I think at the end of the same private road.

And Lisa, since you might actually be on (or near) the island this time of year, a question: is the water open up there and the ferry still operating, are people using snowmobiles, or are they flying in to the Island this time of year?

A final note: Although we don't yet have a cottage, we have already decided on a name for it. And while it isn't as good as my favorite BBI cottage name, we like it. That favorite, by the way, (which I think is now gone) was HadHisWay. What made it funny was that HadHisWay was for sale before it was even finished--so perhaps HadHerWay was really a better name! (As I recall, the good sized new cottage and 100 feet of frontage on the east end was for sale for only $60,000 about 5 to 7 years ago). Anyway, we plan to name our cottage 'Calera.' It is the name of a wine that, according to the label, is the spanish word for 'lime kiln'--apparently the wine is made at the site of an old lime kiln. Because of the old lime kiln on our property and because my wife Grace teaches Spanish at Michigan State University, we think it is a perfect name for our cottage.

Blah, blah, blah--can you tell I am living vicariously on the island by emailing to you all? Thanks for indulging me!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go on and on all you want to... It's interesting and enjoyable.

I'm planning to go over to the Island for my birthday in February. (Are you coming, Lisa?) That's if the plane is flying the day I want to go! We are getting colder temps but can only guess at the possibility of an ice bridge this year.. The bridge is the preferred way for most because frequent plane trips can get pricey!! Laughing Brother Al was down for a short visit and a few appts. We were wondering of his possibilities of getting back to the Island because of the snow storms moving in.. He must of made it....

'Calera' is a wonderful name.. I always enjoyed 'WeWannaStay!' I remember saying that alot when we were small and heading to the dock on the tailgate of a pickup truck.. Begging! Crying!

Keep checking in though. We have a few Island residents keeping us posted..
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Welcome to the board Doug! You'll find a great bunch of people here. Alot of residents and alot of wannabes (me included). We wannabes do just as you say, live vicariously on Bois Blanc through this board. Anyway, welcome and I'm green with envy over your land purchase........sigh, someday........... Crying
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al's Sister wrote:
You can go on and on all you want to... It's interesting and enjoyable...
Ditto! That's what this place is for. Very Happy

iCalera es un nombre muy bonita! Es mas mejor de Bridge View Beach House. Okay, okay, don't show that to your wife. It's been a long time since I sat through espanol.... Hola, me llamo Roberto #roll_on_floor The story about HadHisWay and HadHerWay is funny, sounds like you guessed it right. I still think property prices are pretty reasonable. We had looked over on Beaver Island the summer before we came to BBI; we were shocked to find the prices to be about half of what they were on Beaver.

Doug, our driveway is about a mile past Bible Rd. and we share it with the Palmers, Chris & Keri Viers, Fran Vallely (the mailbox that looks like a locomotive), Alex and Bonnie somebody and also another party I haven't met yet. Are you close by? That's an interesting bit about the lime kilns. I just did a Google search and didn't come up with anything substantial. Have you been able to research it at all at the museum on the island? Sadly, I've only been in there once and I didn't stay for very long. I've promised myself that I'm going to enjoy the island more and work on the house less this coming season.

My wife is a native to Big Rapids and I'm a transplant from Chicagoland. I'm not familiar with the Swartz's. I really like it here in little old Big Rapids, it's way better than the hustle and bustle of suburbia.

Once again, welcome to the site!

Ramble on, we're all ears. Razz
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as Susie, my dear sister, answered. The plane is the way to go right now. Info is posted somewhere on this site. No ice bridge as yet, but we have a few people in here that will let us know.... No ferry right now, it was hitting ice a couple weeks ago, so had to stop.
Hope this helps................Lisa
PS I am in Traverse City, but come hell and an ice bridge I will be there. Razz
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug, and (again) welcome to the BB. Very happy to have you here!

Interesting that so many years elapsed between your '76 visit and the return in '93. Guess the Island gets in your blood and you can pretend it isn't there, but it surfaces eventually... Or maybe that's just me. Wink

I was five years old in '76, and I remember we were there when they were shooting Bicentennial fireworks off the Bridge on the 4th of July. My Dad drove us in the old pickup out to the west end, and we watched them all night.

I also recall there being a group of boy scouts staying near our camp that year - it was the only year they came, to my knowledge. I think Don Leonard (who also owns/owned property near us) was involved. Our place is north of Thompson Lake.

Anyway, good to have you aboard and glad you finally "took the plunge" and bought some land. Perhaps I'll see you on BBI this year.

Take care,
Dan Reynolds
South Lyon, MI
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I remember watching the fireworks that night on the west end too. The bridge had 76 lit up in the center and the fireworks were going off above it. Wow, I was only 6 years old!! Shocked
We had to have met sometime, anyway that brings back great memories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also grew up in "Chicagoland." Went to K and 1st in Evanston, then moved to Glencoe for 2nd to 9th. We then moved to Michigan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: