Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Who has given up on summer???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Who has given up on summer??? Reply with quote

Looks like another summer disappearing before our eyes....Go on your last trip to the island or camping trip to the woods Cool You will need it for it is a long off season!!! Regards, Kevin...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: season Reply with quote

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: season Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:

Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said!!
ws6transam
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post.

Just wanted to let you all know that August 21st through the 24th was our first trip to the island, and it was incredibly fun and relaxing! We stayed with the Burye's near lake Mary, and when we weren't poking around the woods, or dodging rainstorms by hanging out at the historical center, we were in the back yard just plinking bean cans with the .22! We went to the coast guard chapel on Sunday and enjoyed the service very much.

My son wanted to thank the Whipples for the great after-service goodies, he got his share (and mine, too I think).

We're hoping to return again next year, probably in August, maybe for more than just four days. As for me, well, that twisty old trail you call a road on the north side is still singing my name, so I think I'm going to need to bring me a good dirt bike for next time I come up! There's some serious poking around that I want to do, especially around the ledges.

Oh, and exactly what is the story with that 20,000 pounds of scrap steel on the north bay, anyway? Is it some kind of old boiler for a sawmill or something? Some boiler from an old steam locomotive, maybe? Where's the rest of it? ...and is that date of 1963 that's painted on the side a date of decomissioning, or is it just 45 year old graffitti?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: trip Reply with quote

This is a gal that used to call bois Blanc Island home so you are talking to a old timer ..

Can not answer your question but wanted to say welcome to the island !! .. Glad you enjoyed it and keep coming back !!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Boiler Reply with quote

On the hotel wall there once was a picture of that boiler in operation. Standing by it was a group of people that I have since found out were the Duman's. They were the 2nd owners of that saw mill. the original owners were the McRae's. One of the Duman's told me that his dad painted the date on the boiler to signify when he owned it. The year was 1903.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That boiler sits near an old railroad bed. We have found old spikes and the old timbers from the bed nearby.
djhitz
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: "Sunny, commercial, summer!" Reply with quote

No one get's sick of summer. Do you, really? We plan for it, three seasons a year. Shocked
Memorial Day is not the beginning of summer and Labor Day is not the end. Run that Greatest Spectacle in Racing (Hi, Jim Nabors!) Happy Very Happy
Fourth of July! #Usa Get those fall fashions out before school starts. We still might have days in to 70's in November. An Endless Summer's is in your Beach Boy's, surfboard. You can watch Gidget and Beach Blanket Bingo all winter. If you really nee a summer fix in winter go to a tanning bed. Maybe you lucky ducks can go to Florida, Hawaii, Cancun. #roll_on_floor
Not much surf on the south shore, maybe an ore boat might pass by close.
Shall we not trade a natural summer for a commercial one?
It was too dry this summer but the water was up. You gotta take the good with the bad. Flowers still grew, right Mike? Did you have a fire on the beach? Did you get sunburned? Ate by bugs? Did ya take as full advantage of summer as you could till next year? Did ya get ya a snootful of summer fun #Beer ? Even though summer's almost ended, we're already looking toward next summer. #Crazy
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the summer slipped by me..Spending it in air conditioned comfort was alright but I did miss getting all sweaty and craving a dive into those cold waters of Lake Huron. Not enough time but managed a couple brief visits to the Rock.. My favorite season is Autumn anyhoo.. Less bugs and plenty of quiet as the leaves change.. We have color in the trees starting and cold nights to remind us to git busy stackin wood.. 'Til next summer then.. Very Happy In the meantime, sharing everything BBI is a sweet way to spend the day.... Cool And there is still, at least, one more trip this year to look forward to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: