Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Posting pics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Posting pics Reply with quote

Mike or anyone else who reads this,

How do you post your pics so large? I tried to upload some pics but they are always too large. Hints? Tips?

Thanks,

Pete
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

There are two constraints on pic size. Max width or height is 1280 pixels and max file size is 1024000 bytes which is about 1mb. My guess is if your scaling your pictures by pixel size you may still be over on file size. I use Irfanview for picture editing. It's freeware and pretty easy to use.

If you're still having problems, send me a pic you're trying to upload and I'll take a look at it.

Rob

http://www.bridge-view.net
Kacy_Martin
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Office 2007 installed, or Windows Vista or newer (I'm not sure what other MS software will install this) there is a software called Microsoft Picture Manager. Open the image with that program (usually works by simply right clicking on the image and clicking edit | or click "Open With" Microsoft Picture Manager). Then you can simply click "Resize Picture" on the right, then click the "Percentage of Original width x height" radio button that shows up on the right. Then you can increase or decrease the image until it fits within the accepted range on the site.

Another way of doing it that doesn't require installing any additional software (but a bit more convoluted) is to open the picture in MS Paint, then click Image from the menubar, then click Stretch/Skew menu option. Then you can reduce or expand your image by a percentage (you'll have to do a little math to figure out the right percentage).

Paint also uses a pretty terrible compression algorithm (VERY lossy) for saving jpeg images. So if your jpeg is too large (filesize) to fit on the page you can simply open the image in paint, then immediately Save As (choosing the jpeg filetype) and it will use Paint's jpeg compression algorithm which will surely drastically reduce the file size (you'll have to be careful not to accidentally overwrite the original file).

Facebook Profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: problem Reply with quote

I haven't tried today, but for the last two days I have been trying to upload a picture that absolutely meets the requirements, and I get the too big or corrupted window.

I normally use the XP Resizer to reduce the picture size, or I use Photoshop Elements to resize.

With the Windows XP resizer, you right click the picture to get the menu, then click resize to see the options. I normally use the custom default setting for all the pictures I have posted.
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, I just tested it and it didn't work for me either. I'll look into it in a bit.

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Upload Problem Reply with quote

I just tried to upload a small picture of John & Mildred Bible. It is a JPG, 800 x 567 and 44.3 KB. It would not upload. This confirms that there still is some kind of problem.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can no longer delete pictures, not even my own.
As one of the moderators I may need to delete any offensive photos, not that I have ever had the need. I think there has only ever been one and Rob caught that before anyone else viewed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any techies care to volunteer to take a look? Send me a PM. I don't really have time to mess with it right now.

Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. I deleted a couple of pictures in my personal gallery. no problem.

Tried to upload a 78kb 600x800 jpg and up came an error

"Your uploaded file is too large or corrupted" Not too large and I may be corrupted but the image isn't. Opened fine with my editor and win photo/fax viewer.

Only thing I could think of to do is check the file size settings in the php control panel... re enter and reset them? If I can find the info you sent how to get in there, I'll look but I am not going to make any changes.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Rob has already looked at those settings.. I checked them and every thing looked in order but I didn't change anything.. I'll go study them again but I wouldn't know how further than that.. May be a host issue.. Confused
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I can delete pictures in some sections but not in others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: upload problem Reply with quote

Conis, I think I was the last one to upload a picture. Maybe I broke something? Go ahead and remove my last upload and see if it helps.

Is there a way for us "common" folk to remove our own pictures? I always can find a way to edit, but not delete the picture.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I'll try deleting it but I don't think thats' the problem. Somthing snarled up in the upload script...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Deleted Zela Shoals Bouy, Unable to upload anything to my personal gallery after that... So you didn't "break anything"...
Poppa Boot Hands
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike shouldn't have a problem winning photo of the season if he is the only photo on there!! haha

How's the weather up there? It's getting warm down in Ann Arbor; wondered if the ice bridge is still in?

I am getting itchy to make it up there already and it has only been a few weeks...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at it for a couple hours today. Ran a db repair thru MySQL and used phpMyAdmin to look at the entries in the config file in the database. I swapped in some updated php files from a fresh version of the album mod. I'm still scratching my head. Shrug

Any IT folks care to volunteer to take a look?

flymom
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried posting about a dozen pics yesterday (Tues), all significantly under the specified size, and got the message "Too large or corrupted file." Was going to look for advice, but see that this has been a problem for others and not just me. (Whew. I thought I was just clueless!! Confused )
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Can't post pics Reply with quote

I guess I'm joining the crowd. Can't post pics. I resize them, I run spybot on 'em and they are good, but they get the message that they are too big or corrupted file. HELP!!!
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read all of the threads, but I use a photobucket account (www.photobucket.com). I upload my picture on to their site. Once it is uploaded I open the the thumbnail to a larger view. I copy the larger view and paste directly to a folder in my pictures. Once I do all of this, then I can upload on this site from my pictures with no issues.

I'm sure there are other ways, but this works for me.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Give it a Try Reply with quote

I don't see where you recently tried. Give it a try and see if it works. If it works, or does not work, we will learn something from it.
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Can't post pics Reply with quote

John Elmer Engel wrote:
I guess I'm joining the crowd. Can't post pics. I resize them, I run spybot on 'em and they are good, but they get the message that they are too big or corrupted file. HELP!!!

I've got some trees to cut and a barn door to hang today. Perhaps I can look into it after the kids are in bed tonight. Still open for any volunteers to put some fresh eyes on the problem.

Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob... Has to be some issue with the php upload script... php isn't my strong suite. For some reason the file size or format is being corrupted or otherwise undefined.

It doesn't make sense that a post would accept a url from another source.

You may have to get with the phpBB people to sort this one out
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: PNG & GIF Reply with quote

I thought I would try the other formats offered, PNG and GIF. I tried to upload a small file of each type and it failed too.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you all know, I've delayed doing anything with the photo contest til this issue can be resolved..
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: contest Reply with quote

And here I thought I was the winner for sure! Laughing
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes all the happy times at the White Family Reunion Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: