Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

ISLAND CONNECTION
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lori Karpinski
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: ISLAND CONNECTION Reply with quote

I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE MYSELF TO EVERYONE!

I AM LORI KARPINSKI. I AM THE GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER OF MARY ANDERSON, WHO WAS A LONGTIME RESIDENT OF THE EAST END OF THE ISLAND. I SPENT MANY A SUMMER BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER ELECTRICITY ON THE ISLAND. MY UNCLE SID'S WIFE, ANN ANDERSON, TAUGHT SCHOOL ON THE ISLAND FOR MANY YEARS AND LATER, MY GRANDMOTHER MARY ANDERSON SOLD HER A HOUSE AT THE PINES. MY GRANDFATHER WAS RAY ANDERSON WHO OWNED THE BAR ON THE ISLAND AND ALONG WITH MY FATHER OWNED THE BOIS WHICH FERRIED PEOPLE TO AND FROM CHEBOYGAN FOR SOME TIME IN THE 1950'S, UNTIL IT RAN AGROUND IN A TERRIBLE STORM, WITH MY UNCLE LYLE ANDERSON, GRANDFATHER RAY ANDERSON AND FATHER DALE CHAMBERS ON BOARD. THEY WERE RESCUED WHEN THE ISLANDERS FORMED A HUMAN CHAIN OUT TO RETREIVE THEM FROM THE PILINGS. ALL SURVIVED BUT WERE INJURED. MY GREAT UNCLE IS EVERETT JEWELL. AS SOME OF YOU OLD TIMERS KNOW, I AM A DIRECT DESCENDENT OF THE MCRAE'S/KERR'S. MY MOTHER, BEVERYLY ANDERSON CHAMBERS, CURRENTLY OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THE MCRAE/KERR CEMETERY. MY MOTHER, WHO IS STILL LIVING, HAS LOADS OF ISLAND HISTORY FROM HER GRANDMOTHERS, MARY ANDERSON, AND LILLIE JEWELL AND OF COURSE OUR OWN HISTORY THAT WE LIVED! I RECOGNIZE SOME OF THE NAMES ON THE WEBSITE!

I MISS THE ISLAND AND LOVE TO LOOK AT THE BEAUTIFUL SCENERY IN THE PICTURES THAT HAVE BEEN POSTED.

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO FINDING OUT WHAT HAS CHANGED AND WHAT HAS REMAINED THE SAME.

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO OWNS MY GRANDMOTHER'S (MARY ANDERSON) OLD HOUSE AT THE EAST END, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

THANKS FOR A WONDERFUL WAY TO BE CONNECTED WITH SOMETHING SO DEAR TO MY CHILDHOOD.

LORI
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori - Ron Petersen here from Iowa - I knew Ann Anderson and happened to be on the island and attended her funeral - Never knew Sid - I am a good friend of Everett Jewel who happens to be in Arizona for the winter - He will be back toward the end of this month and probably on the island with us the first part of May - He is getting along fine and wold welcome a chat with you I'm sure! Ray Anderson was married to Everett's sister
His residence is on Long Lake just south of Chebogan.

Check out the Kerr/McCrae history attachment on the first page - I put this together with Everett's help - hope you enjoy and would appreciate any comments
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori - Ron Petersen here from Iowa - I knew Ann Anderson and happened to be on the island and attended her funeral - Never knew Sid - I am a good friend of Everett Jewel who happens to be in Arizona for the winter - He will be back toward the end of this month and probably on the island with us the first part of May - He is getting along fine and I'm sure he would welcome a chat with you! Ray Anderson was married to Everett's sister.
His residence is on Long Lake just south of Chebogan.

Check out the McCrae/Kerr family history attachment on the first page - I put this together with Everett's help - hope you enjoy and would appreciate any comments
Lori Karpinski
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the response. Yes, my Uncle Everett stays in touch with my Mother, Beverly. Actually, the family history regarding the cemetery was written by my Mother and given to Uncle Everett, which he has shared with you. As you probably know, my Aunt Mary passed away last year. You are right, Uncle Everett's sister was my Grandmother, Pearl Anderson.

I am so curious about the old home of my Great Grandmother, Mary Anderson. Do you know who owns it now. The home was located at the East End of the Island, next to Beard's.

Thanks, Lori
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you on that and I just talked to Biff (Everett) and he didn't know for sure who had the house now - I'm sure someone will chime in here with that info - Take care and hope to meet you some day
Biff says HI!!!!!!!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

I am connie Faye Richardson and was raised on the island for many years then went back after I married .... I had 3 children that went to the Pines School there and Ann Anderson was the teacher then ....
sid and Mary were good friends with my Family .... Fay D. calkin and Ila Calkins and my mom and dad ..Harry and Connie Feeley ..
We also rode the Bois many a time ..
Welcome to this site ..I am glad you are here to enjoy the pictures and etc.
I hope you can make a trip back to the island some day ...

I live in texas now but I am able to visit the island ... I still have family there ..
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lori,

I was raised on the island and have lived here all my life. I grew up next door to Mrs. Anderson and Sid, when they stayed in the Pines during the winter months. If I'm not mistaken, Mrs. Anderson sold her house on the East End to people by the name of Mars. But I'm not positive about this. We just have to hope that someone on this site will jump in and correct me.

I remember Ray Anderson and also Lyle, Sally, and their daughter Vallerie and son Mark. I often wonder what's happened to all of them. I probably haven't seen Vallerie for about 45 years. We would swim together when she'd come up.

Ann Sullivan came here and started teaching when I was in the 3rd grade. She married Sid and stayed here to teach for about 22 years. After retirement, she continued to stay here until she passed away. One of her nephews now owns the Pines house.

My parents bought their first house in the Pines from Everitt when I was about 1 yr old. It's the house I was raised in. We've known Everitt for a long time and in fact he is the godfather of one of my sisters.

Glad to have with us.

Clover (Gahn) Schlund
jeff
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lori,

Ann Anderson sister owns the house now, i believe her name is mary. Ann's nephew wesley also uses the house , plus marys other children.
Last we knew they lived in new york, but it has been a couple years since we have been on island full time.

jeff
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: The Bois Reply with quote

I recall riding on the black Bois a long time ago. The last time I saw the Bois ,it was sunk, setting on the bottom, in the Cheboygan River, up where the Thompson Lumber Co. was located. That was a sad sight. Is it true that the Bois was built on the island at Latura's place?

There is a spot under Albums here, where you can post historical pictures. It would be nice if you could find a picture of the Bois to post. Also, anything else you might think interesting about the island.

Also, the Historical Society might be interested in any history you or others could supply.

I recall crossing to the island in Ray Plaunt's silver colored airboat (snowbug). The other passenger for the trip was Sid Anderson.
Lori Karpinski
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the news and everyone's replies and information. Ron, please tell my Uncle Everett hello back and that we love him! I think some of you are speaking about my Grandma Anderson's old house at the Pine's which was given to Ann before my Grandmother's death. After my Grandmother Anderson passed away, my family had to make a decision regarding the house at the East End. It was sold, but I don't remember to whom. Hopefully someone will have information regarding that house. In response to Valerie and Mark Anderson, my 1st cousins, Valerie is living in Cheboygan currently and Mark is living in Seattle Washington. Both are fine. I will see if my Mother has any old pictures of the Bois to post. We probably have some old pictures of the Bar someplace also.

I can't wait until I have the opportunity to return and meet some of you in person.

How many year around residents are there currently on the Island?

Lori
Lori Karpinski
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I forgot to post an answer to your question about the Bois being built at Latura's place. It is my understanding that it was constructed on the Island at Latura's. Someone must have purchased the Bois after it ran aground during that terrible storm, if you saw it sunken in Cheboygan. I didn't know that.
Lori
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Where? Reply with quote

Describing where on the island has always been a problem for everyone. When you say the East End, people might think that East on the island begins a little way East of the main Twp dock, or they may think that island East begins when you get past Snow Beach, or Walker's Point or anywhere in between.

I've got a pretty good map and I say that island East should begin at the curve just past the bar going East. In general, from that point to Laffey Point the shore faces East.

Now, if that is the case, then everything West of the bar that faces generally South would be the South Shore.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Andersons had a place just before you get to the bar, traveling from West to East, on what I call the South Shore. That would be in the area where Willy lived. Willy owned the orchard and shipped apples from a dock at the little point there, where Arnett's have a cabin now. That would be just East of Packard Point. Does that sound familiar? Williams rebuilt Willy's old house. VanDerbeck's have a place there too. I recall an old barn. The corner of it stuck out into the main road and you had to drive around it. The road that was up closer to the homes was formerly the main road and you could drive on either branch when I was young. The road that bypassed the houses eventually became the main road.
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago I believe Sid Anderson lived in the little settlement of cottages to the Right (South East) of the Coast Guard Station.....he had the only phone on that end of the island and we use to go to his place when we needed to call off the island.

I witnessed the Bois capsizing....it was our plan for out Cousins to return to the main land that day....As we approached the Pines in our Model A loaded full of people the wind became so intense that the car felt as those it was guivering in each gust. Before we reached the dock it was decided that my Cousins wouldn't be leaving the Island but we proceeded on to tell the Captain of our change in plans.

The Bois wasn't going to take passengers and had to leave the safety of the dock in order for the boats to keep from damaging each other to due to limited tie down space.

We watched....wind so intense a persons foot had to be on the brake of the car.

We sited the water spout....the Bois rared nearly standing on end and rolled unto her side.

My Father was among the recue team. I believe the men were taken to the cottage on the Bluff that has the beautiful stone walkway....can anyone remember the year?

I believe "Biff"Evert Jewell and a _____Robarge ran the Bois with Jay Robarge as deck hand after this ordeal.
Lori Karpinski
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks guys for the information! You are correct in saying that the Anderson's owned property next to the bar. That was my Grandfather, Ray Anderon, he owned the bar and the orchard which he later sold and subdivided.

My Great Grandmother's home, Mary Anderson & my Uncle lived with her, Sid Anderson was at Walker's Point! I should have been more specific. When I was a little girl, Beard's lived next door. The home was right on the beach. It was a cedar shake home.

That is the first accounting by an eye witness of the aweful storm the Bois was in. My father, Dale Chambers along with my Grandfather, Ray Anderson and my Uncle Lyle Anderson were aboard the Bois that day. They were injured. My father was hit in the head and knocked unconscious by a freezer that was on the boat, he came to underneath the boat! My Grandfather and my Uncle abandoned ship and tried to swim for it. The seas were over 20 ft., my father said. They became entangled in the pilings near shore. As you know, the rescue team, that formed a human chain to rescue them, saved their lives.

After the accident, the Bois was not operated by anyone in my family.

Thanks for sharing what you saw with me and thanks for rescuing my family. I really appreciate hearing your eye witness account. I will pass along the information to my Mother.

Lori
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we're going down memory lane, when we were kids, there was an old green trailer across the road from the school, between Card's house and Calkins' house. It seems to me that mention was made at one point about Sid and Anna having lived there for a spell. Anyone know if that was true. We used to get Birthday and Christmas cards every year from Corrinne Sullivan, who was Anna's mother. Two things you could always count on in that school. A visit from Wes when he was on leave from the Coast Guard, and occasionally his sister Cynthia would come along, usually in the winter. Second was Mrs. Anderson planning her summer sojourn to visit her mom in " upstate New York" by way of Canada. I believe Canton was the home town.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That trailer you remember Al belonged to Larry Dunbar, one of the previous school teachers. Anna Anderson rented that trailer her first couple of years as teacher, but she and Sid never lived in it together. Once they got married, she moved into Sid and Mary Anderson's house.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander the names are not quite right. It was Tom Jewell and Louis Robarge that had the Bois and the Bois the 2nd which was just a passanger boat. The last owner of the Bois that I can remember was August Jutnun and then Phil Gahn. Oh by the way Clover I saw Val last summer she moved back to Cheboygan.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't seen here in just years and years. I'm sure I wouldn't recognize her if I fell over her, or her me either.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Bois II Reply with quote

I loved the way the Bois II was built. It was a nice looking boat. It reminded me of an airplane inside, the way the seats were arranged facing forward and a center aisle. I recall it being loaded over the stern. It was backed up to the end of the ramp at the dock in the Pines. The ramp is still there. Passengers went down a little hatchway into the cabin at the rear of the boat.

Kevin, you need to record or write down all the stuff you remember about the island. Your memory is great.
Lori Karpinski
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,
I am hoping that maybe you will know who now owns my Great- Grandmother Anderson's place at the East End (Walkers Point)? I have been curious as to who owns it currently. Hope you can help!
Lori
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I answered who owns Mary Anderson's house. Scroll back up towards the top of this page. Unless I'm wrong and Kevin does know for sure who owns it now. But I think it's Ron & Chip Mars.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lori
No I don't know who owns your grandmother's house now. I have been away from the island for a while. Clover would know a lot more then me on new things. She thinks that Mars own it. I would bet that she is right. I do remember your grandmother though. She was a great woman.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin your alive. Haven't heard from you in a while.

Lori,

I'm Tony Babcock. Victor and Roberta Babcock's son. I was born and raised on the Island. I remember Sid passing away but Don't remember him. Mrs. Anderson taught me from D through 8th.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I'm not familiar with what D means. Does it mean........................oh never mind, I won't ask.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And without even knowing, it explains a bunch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: