Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Bible family stories?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Bible family stories? Reply with quote

Mildred Bible, wife of John, had a problem with racoons.

(Okay,everyone remember it was a different time. Racoons weren't cute. They were disease carrying vermin, no one protected you but yourself. Yes, currently cute fuzzy animals, but then they were like we see mosquitoes now!)

Mildred Bible bought one box of shotgun shells a year. They were used to kill the racoons who got into her garbage. She would hang the pelts of the dead near the garbage as a warning. As far as I'm concerned,that was warning enough.

Thing is, one box was never enough. When she ran out of shells, she would beat offending racoons with a shovel until they died. (Hey, little old lady here! Think it through!)

One night, her dog got in the way & she brained him! IT DIDN"T KILL THE DOG! but he was never "right" after that. When Mrs. Bible would drive in to town to get her mail, that dog was running all the way from her house to the Pine's, barking at her front axle. He went home the same way. My Dad said everyone in the Pines always knew where Mrs. Bible was, thanks to the dog!
culverkid85
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA!! That sounds like the old lady here in Ohio that beat a deer to death in her garden with a shovel recently...she is getting jail time. This lady is 75 years old! I can imagine this lil ol lady with a shovel..and the raccoon making that awful noise they make! Go old lady!

Hmm...maybe John Bible got bit by one of those raccoons and that is why he did so many straaaange things??
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone like the Bibles, or did they just tolerate them?
culverkid85
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Gramma and my Uncle Willie, they were, well, a nuisance. Now, I am not sure if she meant just John or the family as a whole..?! She didn't elaborate or want to talk much today...!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: