Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Crater/ Sink hole/or Just a story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Crater/ Sink hole/or Just a story Reply with quote

Question Heard a story about a large Crater with steep sides, quite large and very symmetrical off the Fire tower road.. No trees in it, just small patch of grass in the center.. Mike White or others .. what do you know? supposedly appeared in the Early 1900s..

Uncle Steve
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 larg holes not far apart. My Dad Victor Babcock has always thought they were made by metiorites. A few people know where the big one is but not may know where the smaller one is.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: sinkholes Reply with quote

I worked for BBIBABS grandfather, Gene Babcock, when I was a teenager. He told me there were three. The biggest one is easy to find. Go to geocaching.com and look for "hole in the island". That will help you find it. The second one is a little smaller and harder to find. I located it about 15 or 20 years back. It is north of the biggest one about a quarter mile. Both show up on aerial photography.

I was beginning to wonder about there being a third one until this summer when I walked right up to it. It is smaller then the other two and further north on the north side of the E-W railroad bed. Have fun searching. It doesn't show on aerial photos.

The island is composed of limestone and dolomite bedrock under the glacial till. Water movement can dissolve soluable rock to create voids. Sometimes this will produce caves or sinks. If a meteor hit it would creat a berm of pushed up earth around the perimeter. Look at the craters on the moon for an example. On BBI all three holes have no sign of berms around them. So, logic tells me that the only other explaination is that they are sinks.

There is a place on the north shore up in the hardwoods that I call the Mystery Spot. A small stream runs into this low spot and disappears into the ground. I believe that this is a fourth sink being created.

It may take thousands of years to creat the void. It would be possible for one to suddenly appear though, when it suddenly caves into the void below. I bet that the big sink was there long before the early 1900's though. It was probably "discovered" setting there in the early 1900's when someone walked up to it.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony are you talking about the pot hole and thqat small sink hole right off the railroad grade in the burnings?
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Kevin and I wounder if the one on the north shore Mike is talking about is what Dad calls the cable marsh or just below the cable marsh, it had beaver in it 25 years or so ago.

Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, are you back home now? If so, hope I'll get to see you sometime this coming week. Maybe I could con you into showing me these 'potholes' and the railroad grade itself - not sure if I would recognize it. I hope all is well with you.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: kevin Reply with quote

good to see you on here kevin
sorry we missed you this summer
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Mystery Spot Reply with quote

Tony, it is the one just below the cable marsh where the beaver were. At one time the whole creek drained down a hole in the mud at the low end.

This "mystery spot" is easy to get to because of the trail nearby. By the way, it was used by the people who lived in the clearing nearby to water their livestock.
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I worked for BBIBABS grandfather, Gene Babcock, when I was a teenager. He told me there were three. The biggest one is easy to find. Go to geocaching.com and look for "hole in the island". That will help you find it. The second one is a little smaller and harder to find. I located it about 15 or 20 years back. It is north of the biggest one about a quarter mile. Both show up on aerial photography. "

Mike,

I wonder if you had the geocaching cache number? (eg. GCXXXX)
I tried searching geocaching.com and came up empty

Thanks!
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with a bit of further searching I found it!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware there were limestone/dolomite sinks on BBI. Nor does it surprise me...

Numerous sinks in Pigeon River SF, many have evolved into 1-2 acre lakes, very deep with high banks all around. "Devils soupbowl" being one of them, very near the PRSF headquarters E of Vanderbilt, Rumor has it that one of these sink/lakes mysteriouslydrained itself dry overnight,then gradually refilled over 6-9 mos period. Hate it when that happens.

East, south of M68 toward Millersberg, are the mothers of all sink holes. All on State land and if you have Michigan County Mapbook, they are marked. Presque Isle County.

Many many years ago, went over there to check out these "sinkholes". WTF? Sounded like an attraction? Found this one... a deep sucker maybe 75-100' deep with stairs down in. Who could resist that? Got down to the bottom and could barely breathe. Like 540 degrees F. Mold, moss, humid and mosquitoes at the rate of 500 per cubic inch. Like a vertical cave/shaft. It was just swell and so much for the Presque Isle County mother of all sinkholes, tour.

BBI shares the same rock formations as much of North Eastern Michigan. Dolomite/limestone. Some of which are fragile water solulable soft lime. It dissolves, erodes and what's above it collapses into the cave below. WALA = sinkhole.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I didn't know that the people that lived on the north shore used that. I came across an old cabin back in there a few years ago tracking a deer and I wen to find it last summer and couldn't. But I found one of there dumps or maybe a michigan basment something like that. It was a hole about 20 by 25 or so. It is back behind the grasses area just east of the burned out old hunting camp. I know the cabin is in that area maybe I'll hook up with you and we can go find it.

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: old cabin Reply with quote

No problem, and an easy hike. I know the one just east of the burned out cabin. The other old cabin may be further east. I know where one is back there. We may be thinking of the same one.

Here is another site. Someone has cleared an area right beside the old sucker creek on the north shore. Looks like Joey has put a septic in. It is right beside the road. Next door east was a house and a dock out front. The house is long gone, but the outhouse walls are still standing. Crude with old cedar shakes. It is one of the few things left standing on the north shore.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad told me of one West of the Bible road and an old modle T ro A I don't remeber but I would like to go see that also. Maybe next time I'm up I'll see if you Dad and I can find a couple of these places..

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

Mike take pictures so you can share with us when we are able to upload pictures here again ..I see that he got one pic here in this chat page ..
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: west of cross Reply with quote

West of the cross is the Culver's only a few hundred yards. There is a bunch of postings about the Culvers on this site. Not much left of the car. The next place is quite a bit further west and back in the woods, the Joe Eckey place by a field. Between the two places is the big Catosh marsh. Inland behind the marsh there are trails that Alber's probably would prefer I not talk about, because it is their hunting grounds.

I did an intense search of the whole area this summer looking for a rare fern. I came up empty in that area.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trails are no secret to the Babcocks and Twigg.. Next time you See Hank ask him about the time he go out of his blind to feed the deer and when he started back to his blind Twigg was sitting in it..... Laughing

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the memory of my "big dad twigg" that I had forgotten ..

Your dad and "twigg" have spend alot of time together this summer .. first time this long in years . its been great for both of them !
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they always have a great time together.....2 pees in pod.....Hope they will be able to get to gether next year also... I heard he may come down for deer season???? maybe a rummor.

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: its Reply with quote

Tony ..its always in Twiggs mind wanting to come for another Deer Hunt .. I do not think that will happen this year ..no plans as of now ..........
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should start planning a trip this fall. You can't spend all that money 6' under you know..... But a little serious, may not have many more chances with my dad's and his health. Hope they have a lot more but on the real side not sure how many more years. Sad It is fun to have my boys around when there together so many educational stories for them to here..... Laughing

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: MY Reply with quote

YOU ARE RIGHT TONY SAD BUT TRUE .. NOT MANY YEARS LEFT FOR TWIGG EITHER .. HES FAILING FAST ..

GLAD THEY HAD THIS SUMMER

ITS GREAT FOR YOUR BOYS TO HEAR THE STORIES ..

WISH IT WOULD HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE FOR THEM TO HAD STAYED AWHILE WHEN WE WERE UP BUT WITH ALL THE SPORTS THAT WAS OUT OF THE QUESTION
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: