Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ice Conditions 2009-10 Winter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Ice Conditions 2009-10 Winter Reply with quote

This morning it was 4 below and no wind here at Sand Bay. Mike Harrington called to tell me that he found two white swans with their butts froze in the ice a little offshore from the gazebo. A rescue was contemplated. We thought maybe it would be better to wait and see. We might have injured them trying to get them out. Sure enough, the temp went up to above zero a little and the wind started to blow a little, and they wiggled their behinds out.

The ice froze like a mirror on the South Channel last night. It probably will not stay. We haven't had luck like that in years. It shows that the lake is cold enough to freeze under the right conditions though. Cool
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: More Info Reply with quote

By the way, West Duncan Lake, has ice one foot thick as measured with a tape measure. The trail from that lake to Sand Bay Orchard is now open.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much snow on the island? Good sledding yet?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Snow Reply with quote

The snow is not deep enough for "good" sledding, but it has settled down to a firm 6 inches maybe. Enough to get by with. At the moment, you could sled on the county roads.

Freighters are still going though the channel disrupting the formation of ice. With the pending warm up and some wind, it probably won't matter anyway.

I tried out my new Nils hand crank ice auger on West Duncan. It makes only a 4 1/2" dia. hole. I could cut though one foot in about 10 seconds.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Mike , has a date been set by the C.G. to close the South Channel ?

Uncle Steve
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: winter posts Reply with quote

I'm enjoying the posts and looking forward to them all winter long ! Smile Smile
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: closing Reply with quote

No date is ever set or thought about until there is ice from shore to shore, and the forecast is for cold weather. Then --

At that point, someone on the Township calls the Coast Guard to ask if they would close the channel. If the Coast Guard thinks it is OK, they transmit a notice for 72 hours to the ships giving notice that the channel will close on a certain date. Those ships continue plowing though the ice right up till that date. Some, that don't get the word, may go though after that date, but that is rare.

Last edited by mikewhite on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Mike, I didn't know the process....

Uncle Steve
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Ice 2010 Reply with quote

We are having a January thaw. Here is what the ice looks like out my window. There was a weenie roast held on the twin lakes near the narrows the other night. It was nice. So nice another is planned for tomorrow Sunday at 1pm. Ice 16 inches thick according to Mike Gahn, "instigator".

Image 2572
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy hearing the "Winter news " on the island ..

Thank you Mike !

Lv you !
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Ice on the move Reply with quote

Lately there has been no ice to see from Pointe Aux Pins, but from Sand Bay there still was ice as the prior picture showed. The latest approaching warm front brought a pretty strong east wind. This morning I watched a line of open water appear, and in a few hours most of the ice headed west to dissolve, pile up on the south shore, or possibly come back when the wind switches later.

I hope that it all stays away, and when it turns cold again, smooth ice forms. I still have hopes for an ice crossing. I must admit it is pretty boring around here with not enough snow to really snowmobile. Right now it is raining and the beaches have no snow on them. Pretty sad for Bob-Lo at the end of January.
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully it will stay out Mike,

you're to go below freezing and stay there for over a week +
hopefully long enough to allow the ice bridge!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Freezing Up Reply with quote

Here it is, Thursday, the 28th of January. The temp has been falling all day. The loose ice came back and is locking in, in this area anyway. Still not much snow and that can be good for making ice. I may check things out by this coming week-end.

The Coast Guard closed the channel some time back.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO...what are you saying??? YOU puttin the trees in this weekend or WHAT. I need to get over and check my water pump. I can not remember if I drained it or not...water line runs along the ground, I did put some newspaper over it...so it should be fine PLUS, I did remember to pour ANTI-FREEZE all over the ground next to it!!!
Thanks for the updates mike!!!
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparty your supposed to put the anti-freeze in the well and then no problems with that pesky freezing thing.....

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Worry about freezing Reply with quote

Number one spartan(aka garden boy) and grandson of the real babs, it sounds like you both worry about freezing. Don't ya know all you have to do is drink the antifreeze in the bottles, and WOW, no more worries.

Ice four inchs in front of VanVoorhees. Ice doing a lot of talking.
Out further it is WAY thinner - don't even think about it.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's cross on Wednesday...get the trees in Thursday and get the trails groomed by the 12th. I have a large group of riders headed over to the island to drink all of Larry's beer and eat the rest of the pizza that weekend!!!
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. MIKE!!!

I tried the anti-freeze drink this weekend...REALLY MADE me GASSIE!!! Sad
Not sure you were spot on with that advice???
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget your 6 wheeler.......that will make such a big hit over there........ Laughing

blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with turbo and maybe a little can of booster juice. That way your tracks should all come out the same depth, 'cause you know it's not neighborly to leave uneven rutting. And anyone who follows will appreciate the fact that you went the extra mile to properly groom behind you....
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya one long rut all the way around the island should do....... #Mad

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Can't make ruts Reply with quote

Sorry to spoil your fun, but you can't make ruts in the snow, if there is no snow. So far - no snow to speak of.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmers almanac predicted a cold dry winter for the great lakes and have been right on so far.

Mid state, had a couple 6" dumps in December, most that that has melted down to about 3" of ice pack/ snow. In Mount Pleasant last week... mostly bare ground. I haven't plowed at all in January... Nothing signiificant in the forecast, either...

Just got an email from my son in law, in D.C. area. Blizzard #3 incoming. They are freaking out down there. Not used to it or set up to cope with it.

Quite a contrast from last winter.
Rich S
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Pellston we set an all time low record of snow fall for the month of January. Less than half normal amout of snow. Global Change or el Nino??? I'm sure the scientist and nay sayers will have some thing to say about this. Rolling Eyes
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget which does what. El Nino or El nina. Which we have this year, we had the other last year. It affects the jet stream from the north.

Shortage of snow? DC and Va are in the midst of blizzard #3, up to 24" today into tomorrow. The jet stream is simply pushing all the damp air south.

Whatever. I don't have to plow "cold". Also seems like when we get this weather pattern, we get an earlier warmer spring. last year, spring came in July.

Gotta be tough on tourism, sledders etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: