Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Norrthern Lights Hotel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Norrthern Lights Hotel Reply with quote

Always wondered - Why was it tore down and who tore it down - That should have been restored - That had a lot of history to it!!

It must have been in the early to mid 70's when I took the pictures of the hotel and beach house that are on this site in pictures
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Turner's Hotel Reply with quote

The Historical Society has a few pictures of the "resort" in operation. One picture shows a group of women on the shuffle board court that was just in front of the hotel.

Another picture is of a young Ila Heck standing on the dock out front of Turner's hotel, the Northern Lights.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen pictures -
What happened to it???
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't anybody know who or why??
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Rumor Reply with quote

Ron I have only heard rumor, so have held back saying anything. I'm also many miles from the East End and don't get to hear about a lot from that area.

This could be totally wrong. When I was a teen. the Millers lived next door to the hotel on the east side, I think. I think that has been sold to someone who also bought the land the hotel was on. The hotel sat on the West side of Washington Park Boulevard. The boulevard is actually two roads with a center divider. The total width across the boulevard is 138 feet and that boulevard runs to the lake. So, whoever bought has this huge boulevard separating the properties. Whoever, tore down the hotel, which was called the Heart O' Nature Club House originally, also blocked people from using the boulevard.

Has anyone else heard rumors like this? Does anyone have better information to give?
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Mike - Interesting to see if anyone else chimes in - It's sad that it is gone - When I took the pictures of it and the bathhouse, it looked like it could have been restored - Maybe it isn't that important, but I think it is a great part of island history.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Further Research Reply with quote

Since I posted I have been scouring through old plats. Seth Turner made it tough because he platted over top of his previous plats.

Maymie Gibbons gave me a bunch of old plats, plus plats can be viewed online.

First, I have a print out of part of Crystal Beach Sub. It shows a Glendale Ave. that goes to the beach about 1000 ft. easterly of where the boulevard would be.. It was recorded in 1922. In Crystal Beach Sub. there is no Boulevard.

Second, I have a plat with no name showing the Heart O' Nature Hotel. I better take care of it somehow as it is yellow and ripped. It shows the Boulevard going to the beach, and Glendale Ave. going to the beach. It mentions Crystal Beach Sub. to it's east. The hotel is on the West side of the Boulevard and would then be just outside of Crystal Beach Sub.

From that information, I can say that the unnamed plat is newer then the Crystal Beach plat.

Third, I have Turner's Lake View Highlands, where Turner carves out the east part of Crystal Beach to make a new subdivision in 1925. The Boulevard does go to the beach. The lots between the county road and the beach retain the lot numbers of the Crystal Beach Subdivision, but a boulevard east boundary line is drawn from the county road down to Lake Huron through the approximate center of Crystal Beach Sub. lot 78. That right-of-way line indicates the intent for the boulevard to continue to the lake.

Fourth, along the west side of Washington Park Boulevard, Boulevard Sub. is created by Turner in 1958. It shows a dotted line continuation of the Boulevard toward the lake. You must refer to Lake View Highlands. The dotted lines are outside of the description for Boulevard Sub. In fact, Boulevard Sub. is named for a street that is, in fact, in another subdivision. Are we totally confused yet?

So, after all this, I can say that the rumor about the 138 foot wide boulevard going to the beach may be correct per the Lakeview Highland plat.

I would like to thank Cindy Childs for making me take a closer look at this and changing my conclusion

Last edited by mikewhite on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But nobody has jumped in and said what happed to it yet - Did it go to the same type of disaperance as the houses of McCrae's and Kerr's - From what I have heard, they were kinda stolen and the lumber used elseware - That was a shame to, now looking back on the history of them - Those houses would have been a little over 100 years old, and looked like pretty substancial homes from the pictures I gathered for Everett's story, and there are a lot of homes that are older then that that still look good - I guess time changes everything - - - - Like I would like to have some of the old cars I had too - - How About your old Vet Mike????
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: DID Reply with quote

looking at the deed of my moms home in the pines that my Dad build for Turner then Dad bought the house from him that ole Mr.turner had it written out that no blacks could not live in that area was shocking to me after reading so long after the fact ..that would not fly today ..He did not call them backs it was negros SP?
just a little history of Mr. Turner ..
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: history Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone questioned all the piles of used lumber in John Bibles yard? I haven't heard that he had a saw mill of any kind. I have heard that once the people left the island, he would help himself to the "abandoned" buildings.
I met the descendants of the Culver's last summer. They were very upset that John Bible is so revered around here. They, didn't like him as a neighbor at all. The grandmother in the group was a young girl living just west of the cross along the shore. John would mess with their place. Even after the family moved to the south side of the island and their mother had died, John dropped in and messed with the dishpan that had the soot made face of their mother on it. He took his finger and wiped it across the face.

Ray Plaunt is a good one to ask about how the buildings disappeared. He can really talk about John Bible. Better get the story from Ray soon.

Switching to old squint eye, Seth Turner. When I was a teen Dave Feeley and I worked for the guy. We called him squint eye because he kept one eye closed out in the sunlight. We didn't know his long history on the island making subdivisions. Yes, most all his properties came with the provision that no Negros were allowed to own the properties he sold. It wouldn't hold up in court now days. He was really tight with money, but would spend it now and then. He hired my grandfather, Fay Calkins, Dave Feeley and I to rebuild the old dock at Lake Mary. He got use kids to work because he could pay us less. The dock is the one near the point in deep water. There was one long crib parallel with the shore when we started. All he wanted to do was extend that rectangle and put a new deck on it. The crib we built, started to tip out toward the center of the lake as we filled it with stone. The bottom was slanted and had not been compensated for. Turner was beside himself worrying about the wasted money paid to us for building a no good crib. My grandfather suggested that we make another crib with a slanted bottom and place it on the outside leaning back against the first tipping crib to counterbalance the lean. So, here is this tightwad being asked to spend more to save what had already been done. You should have seen his face. He gave in and we did it. So that is why the dock near the point on Lake Mary ended up being L shaped for many years after.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I have heard about John as far as the homes on the North Shore - That story seems to come up quite often enough to believe it - The Hotel probably would have been a little late for John to be involved with -(could be wrong)
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that the township had it taken down because it was getting dangerous and kids where partying in it. May be just a rummer.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that would make sense - - Was you one of the "kids" Laughing
flymom
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Face in the Dishpan Reply with quote

Can't resist a comment, although it is way off topic from the Northern Lights, it does refer to Mike's post....

I think the face in the dishpan was Jesus - I remember my family (Sanford) relating that story often as part of the Island mythology. Seems the face of Jesus appeared in the dishpan - it was a "really big deal" and many from all over the Island went to view it.

Just talked with my mom to make sure that I had that part of the story right - at least how she "remembers" it - and I did, but she wasn't aware that John destroyed the picture. Not surprising, tho...interesting characters, all.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: See Culver Reply with quote

There is quite a lot about the Culver dishpan here. See:

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1860&highlight=culver

Also on the home page in the search area, type Culver in and see what pops up. You will find that the Culvers themselves thought it was their mother. John didn't destroy the face dishpan, but left s streak across it.

I will try and get back on subject. I want to look for Heart O" Nature on the internet.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Northern Lights there was just some of the floor left back in the eraly 70's and I mean just parts. And just part of the foundation. But it was good rabbit hunting around it.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Kevin, it was good rabit hunting.....now too many homes on the lake. Back when I was still living on the island the only home on the lake after the anchor sign was Rynnie's untill Mary's lake road.

Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures I took of it still standing was in the early 70's - So it must have been after that - I didn't come to the island until 1970, and it would have been at least 1972 before I would have taken the pictures.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Turner Reply with quote

Mike you speaking of you and Dave working for Mr.Turner brought back some memories that I have of his wife .... I would go and clean her house and do just little things for her ..I think she liked the company more then anything ..she would give me a hand full of change when the work was done .. I liked her ..she was very pleasent ..she was in Ill health ..I do not remember her standing up she was always in her chair .. I wasen't very old then about 10 ?11 ?? I enjoyed her company too ...

I was sure happy to get that change ..I would run to the pines hotel and buy me that "Black Jack" candy and bubble gum ..
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw some Black Jack gum the other day. You don't see it very offten. Man Fee Fee 10 or 11 that was a long time ago........ Laughing

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: candy Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone would mention the "blackjack" candy ...
I have not seen it in years and more years ..I loved it !!

and yup you bet it was a long time ago Sad
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: okay tony Reply with quote

Yeah you are right Tony it was gum not candy..I was thinking about that candy that had that same taste as that gum but it was black white and pink ..any one remember that candy and what was its name ?? I have not seen it in years ...
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what happened to the hotel Rolling Eyes
square mouth
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were called black jacks--I used to sell them in my dads little grocery store!!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: black jacks Reply with quote

Thank you !! .. yeah I loved Black Jacks !!!

Have you seen them anywhere latley ?

Ron ..About the hotel .. thats another story !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: