Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Vacations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nebzeb
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Vacations Reply with quote

I'm vacationing on the island this summer and I'm looking for some more information. If someone out there is reading this and knows the answers, I'd really appreciate it.

I see that there is supposed to be a general store/restaurant and tavern but on some sites it says they are closed-are these still open?
Is there a place to rent a boat on the island and is it practical to take a rental boat to mackinac island?
Are there bad biting black flies or any other insect problem that I should prepare for?
Does a ferry go to mackinac from the island, or will we need to go into Cheboygan for that?

Any other info or suggestions would be great!
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer, the general store/restaurant (Hawk's Landing) and the Boblo Tavern will be open. (As far as I know)
Black flies are mostly gone by late June.
The ferries to Mackinac Island depart from Mackinac City and St. Ignace. My family and I, travel to Mackinac Island in a 14' boat, equipped with a 15hp motor, quite frequently, from the West End of Bois Blanc Island, when the weather permits. If you were to obtain a boat and attempt the trip, you must be hyper-vigilant of weather/wave conditions, and watch out for big-*hind end* rocks around the West End of Boblo and the North and East sides of Round Island. (They come within' inches of the surface and are difficult to see sometimes.) You must also be wary of the ferry traffic, in and out of the harbor area. We always take a credit card with us, in case we end up having to spend the night. I believe the charge is $10 per day to tie up a small boat in the harbor.
nebzeb
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much!

sounds like i will be taking a ferry to mackinac!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: