Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Health Care Reform..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Health Care Reform.. Reply with quote

Thought I would provide some facts from the government and step away from the Tea Party..
I will find links and provide them for the Health Care bill and more.. Let's look at the facts..

This I copied from The White House site.

Let's start with how health insurance reform will expand and strengthen coverage:

•This year, children with pre-existing conditions can no longer be denied health insurance coverage. Once the new health insurance exchanges begin in the coming years, pre-existing condition discrimination will become a thing of the past for everyone.
•This year, health care plans will allow young people to remain on their parents' insurance policy up until their 26th birthday.
•This year, insurance companies will be banned from dropping people from coverage when they get sick, and they will be banned from implementing lifetime caps on coverage. This year, restrictive annual limits on coverage will be banned for certain plans. Under health insurance reform, Americans will be ensured access to the care they need.
•This year, adults who are uninsured because of pre-existing conditions will have access to affordable insurance through a temporary subsidized high-risk pool.
•In the next fiscal year, the bill increases funding for community health centers, so they can treat nearly double the number of patients over the next five years.
•This year, we'll also establish an independent commission to advise on how best to build the health care workforce and increase the number of nurses, doctors and other professionals to meet our country's needs. Going forward, we will provide $1.5 billion in funding to support the next generation of doctors, nurses and other primary care practitioners -- on top of a $500 million investment from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
Health insurance reform will also curb some of the worst insurance industry practices and strengthen consumer protections:

•This year, this bill creates a new, independent appeals process that ensures consumers in new private plans have access to an effective process to appeal decisions made by their insurer.
•This year, discrimination based on salary will be outlawed. New group health plans will be prohibited from establishing any eligibility rules for health care coverage that discriminate in favor of higher-wage employees.
•Beginning this fiscal year, this bill provides funding to states to help establish offices of health insurance consumer assistance in order to help individuals in the process of filing complaints or appeals against insurance companies.
•Starting January 1, 2011, insurers in the individual and small group market will be required to spend 80 percent of their premium dollars on medical services. Insurers in the large group market will be required to spend 85 percent of their premium dollars on medical services. Any insurers who don't meet those thresholds will be required to provide rebates to their policyholders.
•Starting in 2011, this bill helps states require insurance companies to submit justification for requested premium increases. Any company with excessive or unjustified premium increases may not be able to participate in the new health insurance exchanges.
Reform immediately begins to lower health care costs for American families and small businesses:

•This year, small businesses that choose to offer coverage will begin to receive tax credits of up to 35 percent of premiums to help make employee coverage more affordable.
•This year, new private plans will be required to provide free preventive care: no co-payments and no deductibles for preventive services. And beginning January 1, 2011, Medicare will do the same.
•This year, this bill will provide help for early retirees by creating a temporary re-insurance program to help offset the costs of expensive premiums for employers and retirees age 55-64.
•This year, this bill starts to close the Medicare Part D 'donut hole' by providing a $250 rebate to Medicare beneficiaries who hit the gap in prescription drug coverage. And beginning in 2011, the bill institutes a 50% discount on prescription drugs in the 'donut hole.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to The White House summary of the Health Care bill.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/healthreform/summary

Revenue Provision

http://www.whitehouse.gov/health-care-meeting/proposal/titleix

This one is about income..

http://www.whitehouse.gov/health-care-meeting/proposal/titleix/targeted-healthcare-tax
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bold is mine..

Health reform will make health care more affordable, make health insurers more accountable, expand health coverage to all Americans, and make the health system sustainable, stabilizing family budgets, the Federal budget, and the economy:

•It makes insurance more affordable by providing the largest middle class tax cut for health care in history, reducing premium costs for tens of millions of families and small business owners who are priced out of coverage today. This helps 32 million Americans afford health care who do not get it today – and makes coverage more affordable for many more. Under the plan, 95% of Americans will be insured.
It sets up a new competitive health insurance market giving millions of Americans the same choices of insurance that members of Congress will have.
•It brings greater accountability to health care by laying out commonsense rules of the road to keep premiums down and prevent insurance industry abuses and denial of care.
•It will end discrimination against Americans with pre-existing conditions.
•It puts our budget and economy on a more stable path by reducing the deficit by more than $100 billion over the next ten years – and more than $1 trillion over the second decade – by cutting government overspending and reining in waste, fraud and abuse
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a lot of information.. I think it is important that we get to the truth instead of freaking out and making the assumptions the truth..

Here is a CBS news view..
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html

This one is from the .gov site.. I'm sure some may think The White House site may be too rosy.. Smile
http://www.healthreform.gov/

Answers link..
http://www.healthreform.gov/about/answers.html

Enough for now.. Have a look and educate yourselves.. Seems to me it pays to be involved in the bill and it doesn't pay if you are being stubborn about it.. LOL! Very Happy
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out FactCheck.org for truthful answers to your concerns.. Here is one on taxes on real estate..

http://factcheck.org/2010/04/a-38-percent-sales-tax-on-your-home/

And be sure to check out NPR.. Here is a link to how the overhaul of health care could effect you..

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111499109
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm wondering if there is a new law against raising premiums to an unaffordable rate? If the insurance companies can do that the preexisting condition clause, among others, may be useless.

I read something in one of these links about that.

Quote:
Beginning on January 1, 2011, insurance companies will be required to spend most of your premium dollars on your care, not on profits and overhead-85% in the large group market and 80% in the small group and individual market - and rebate any excessive overhead to enrollees.

Similarly, starting in plan year 2011, insurance companies that jack up rates will have to disclose requested premium increases publicly. If that rate increase is found to be unreasonable, the insurer may be prohibited competing for your business in the new state-based exchange that will begin operating in 2014

I guess if I delved deeper I could find more.. This is a basic answer.. The insurance co. could try but it wouldn't be in their best interest to..
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more......

Quote:
A new program – known as a high-risk pool – will provide affordable insurance for Americans who are uninsured and have a pre-existing condition. This program will provide temporary protection for people with pre-existing conditions until 2014, when insurance companies can no longer deny you coverage based on your health

Quote:

Q: My insurance company wants to raise my rates. What recourse do I have?

A: For most consumers today, it is hard to figure out how to challenge a rate increase. The new health insurance reform law will create a clear pathway for consumers to hold insurance companies accountable.

In 6 months, all new health plans will be required to have implemented a clear and effective process under which policy holders can appeal coverage determinations and claims. States must also have an external appeals process to ensure a fair and objective review of coverage disputes.

Additionally, millions of dollars in grants will be made available this year to states to help create a health insurance consumer assistance office where consumers can learn how to enroll in a plan or file a complaint. There will also be a new website that will begin operating this year, which will help consumers identify and compare health coverage options. Information will be presented in a standardized, easy-to-understand format to ensure that individuals and families understand their options and purchase the right coverage for their needs.

Finally, new standards for the amount an insurance company must pay out in benefits as opposed to profits and administrative expenses will go into effect in 2011. Insurance companies will be required to give money back to consumers if they do not meet those standards. In addition, requested premium increases will be made publicly available, and in 2014, plans that have arbitrarily raised rates previously may not be able to participate in the new health insurance exchanges
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that is important to me personally, is that this law makes Acute Myloid Leukemia "Untreatable". If you are over 50 the only option is private pay for your stem cell transplant and treatments or die. Along with AML they have identified other cancers and neurological diseases that make a person "unproductive" and thus not eligible for coverage, even though there are many treatments available and the people that survive are productive after the illness. So lucky us that Gary got AML in 2008 and should be recovered completely by the time the long term measures go into affect. Even if he has additional problems it is now considered "pre-existing" and they have to treat his problems. The over all idea of health care is great, but many individual pages and sections of this bill will and should be challenged and overturned. New medicine and therapies are being tested and approved by the FDA, this law does not take those items into consideration, thus my position of monitor and modify as needed. The new law is start, but one we need to watch.
joe
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy,
Which page of the bill refers to all of that? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I hadn't heard of specific diseases being targeted for exclusion either. I had read that pre-existing conditions will be taken care of sooner with a temporary high risk insurance until the full bill is in action in 2014. Cindy, you may want to check your information or source.. just to be sure.. There are going to be hiccups and headaches and probably temp. problems with the roll out of this bill.. I hope people will be as patient as possible while the bugs are worked out. It is something new to a lot of us and will take some educating to be successful.. Heck, there are people still getting educated about the Civil Rights Bill.. LOL!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic Split.. Please go to http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21800#21800 For further arguing and disputes.. Smile Any further posts to this topic with rhetoric will be moved there..
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, back to health care..... You say that those with pre existing health issues will be covered. Great! Wonderful! Have you read anywhere as to how much it is going to cost these people to be covered? Will it cost so much that they will not be able to afford it and will be fined or will it be another way for the government to have control of these people and say what goes and what doesn't for them? I think you need to read between the lines. We all should. So much could be said. He will have us all poor

I'll look into this Squeaky.. Not today though.. Too nice out.. But soon..
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read up on it and also know folks personally in the military. Is not good. You read up on it and then have your own opinion. Making them pay for their own dental and vision, etc. These folks should be entitled to everything. They fought and are still fighting for you and me and they should not even have to have their hands open for anything.... IT SHOULD BE THERE AUTOMATICALLY! They already are only allowed to see their own doctors.

At least these folks have a job and are proud of it. May not be the best pay, but for the most they are working and not complaining, and hopefully our government does not start eliminating them from their jobs too. More unemployment, more welfare.

And yes, it is a beautful day. Back out I go..... Cool
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: alot Reply with quote

There is so much more to this new health plan that none of us are even aware of yet ..it will pop up when we less expect it ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: