Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Roberta Babcock's life
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Roberta Babcock's life Reply with quote

I would like to thank all of our friends and family for the love and support you gave us in our time of need. It is amazing how many people my Mom tuched during her life. If you feel the urge I would like to hear some stories of my mom and dad if you would like to share.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that poor fly swatter. What did that poor fly swatter ever do to you? The harder she would swing, the harder you would laugh, and the harder she would laugh, til she thought you'd had enough. Then she'd straighten out her apron, let out a "land sakes" or a " my word, you boys'll be the death of me", then back to the kitchen to make something. Pancakes or Ditties or deep fried coronary disease. I've been introduced to something down here called a Fragle. Deep fried bagel then rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Reminded me alot of those fried balls of hers, so to speak. Not the same, but close. As for your pop, shoveling the path from the school to home. Or hearing his whistle as he walked by on his way to lunch. Probably a little known story, but one day, when we were living out at Westcott's old place, I was waliking home home from school and he came by in the County pick up, and gave me a ride the rest of the way. A couple days later, same thing. He stopped but only to let me know he wouldn't be able to give me a ride in the County truck anymore, someone complained about the last time, if you can imagine that. He did feel the need to stop and explain why he wouldn't stop next time. I was just a kid, but I appreciated the fact that he thought he should let me know, no hard feelings. No, no hard feelings. Remember it like it was yesterday. Of course it was the least he could do, since I kept donating all those points to him in cribbage... Smirk
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that fly swatter killed may flies but it sure did straiten out the bottom of my pants a lot....we were just talking about running through the closet between the bead rooms and Mom chasing us for some thing we did wrong.....she couldn't get through the closet as fast as us so we would have to wait up so the chase could continue......good thing that wasn't Chris she would have just went behind the door and got the shotgun out and ended that crap right then and there..... Laughing

blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching that show. It's like the cartoon with the dog chasing the cat, where the cat gets up on the dresser and the dog just keeps chasing. She didn't have any quit in her, though. Actually, as much screwing off as we did in Sunday School, the only thing that probably kept her from offin' us with said shotgun, were all the witnesses. Or the mess it would have made. Grateful either way
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Mother and Dad one of the first people I met when I first came to the island in 1972....then I didn't return until the 80's. I moved to the island in 1991. A few years later, can't recall the year for sure, Audrey was selling Pampered Chef products. She wanted me to have a party so I agreed. Your Mother was one of the ladies that came to the Old Boathouse Restaurant for the party. I remember she sat there very quietly. A few weeks later I got my items and was delivering them on Mother's Day. When I got to your Mother and Dad's house your Mother invited me in saying she had something for me. She gave me two yellow flowers that she had grown in her yard and gave me a hug and said Happy Mother's Day. That day has always stood out in my mind.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is typical of my parents. The would invite complete strangers to come have coffee or tea with them with out even thinking about it. Down here you stand at the door and keep it shut until you have a better felling of what the other person wants....

Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony - I am so sorry to hear about your mom. She was ALWAYS so nice to me (and the rest of my family). I am thankful to have just seen her last month and to have spent time talking with her.
I remember as a kid, she and your dad would always invite us over and she was always cooking something up for us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Troy, That was typical of Mom, when she was feeling well she was always baking for any one that stoped by. There for a few years when she was struggling mentaly she wasn't baking and we all missed that. It was nice to have (Mom) back for the last 2 years, the meds she was on was realy helping her to be who she used to be.

jarrett rodriguez
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my name is Jarrett Rodriguez i went to school on the island from 91-95. I remember once a week my fellow class mates and I would go to Aunt Berta's (thats what all the kids called her. It stuck with me to call her and Victor that.) for sunday school. she was always reaching out to other's. I dont know about every one else but, I can't ever forget about her no bakes (ditty's) and till this day I cant make hot coco like Aunt Berta. She will be missed. OH one more thing i remember when I was at Curt's dock in town I had my kids with me. When I seen her i said hi Aunt Berta, and my kids said dad that is your aunt? I laughed and told them well kinda. They looked at me puzzeled. So I told them yes she was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for Sharing Jarrette, Mom and Dad have been Aunt and Uncle to way more kids than most people with big families..... That was just what most of the kids called them even when I was young, they just seem to fit the Aunt and Uncle roal to all the kids... Mom is more known for her dittys and sunday school than any thing elts.....Again thanks for sharing!!!!!

blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jarrett, hook your cousin Tony up would ya'. Next birthday he could use a "Hooked on Phonics" Happy Happy Happy
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooked on what???? Mrs. Anderson never talked about any thing like that.....Hooked on cigarettes or some thing...LOL

farmers wife
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Roberta Babcocks life Reply with quote

Tony, I am very sorry to hear about your mother. I was in Florida for a quick business trip and my dad called to tell me about your mother. I am very thankful that I was on the island just last month and saw your mother and father and the whole gang down at Hawk's one evening. I am especially thankful to you, Kris and your wonderful boys for the great time you showed Jacob and I on the 4th of July. As far as remembering your mother (and father), of course she was always feeding the whole gang of us kids back in the day, and your dad was always doing something to the roads. Again, so thankful I got to catch up with all of you. Keep in touch.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farmers wife......nice cover Maryellen. You lost me for a moment there. Thanks for the post. I believe the reason Dad did the extra jobs around the Island was to pay for all the food Mom made for us all.....LOL

farmers wife
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Roberta Babcocks life Reply with quote

I thought you would figure it out. Please tell your family I said hello. And I think you are right about your dad, there sure was a large gang of us back then. It was like feeding a small army Very Happy
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya it took me a couple of minunets. And yes there was a lot of use to feed and also a lot of adults that used to come over for coffie and snacks, some times dinner etc. Always feeding people and visiting. It was a good life for them and they enjoyed doing it.

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Farmer's daughter Reply with quote

Berta was a farmer's daughter. Did she talk much about her years before becoming a wife? She was raised on an 80 acre dairy farm. Her dad was Cecil Calkins. The farm was in Garfield township, Kalkaska County. Her church was down the road about half a mile setting on top of a hill. The local community built the church and stoned it up so it would last. Victor and Roberta were married in that church. Her closest neighbor across the road was the Fay Calkins farm. Fay Calkins was a brother of Cecil's, and Berta's uncle. Fay Calkins moved to Bois Blanc in 1949. Fred Calkins, another uncle, moved to the island a short time later and lived where the bed and breakfast is now. I don't know how Victor and Berta met, but it probably involved the fact that two of her dad's brothers were on Bois Blanc. A third brother, Victor Calkins, also lived on Bois Blanc for a short time too. I almost forgot Berta's aunt, also from Garfield Twp. Kalkaska County, and a sister to all those Calkins brothers. Ida Gibbons was her name, but most people, in the later part of her life called her Peggy.

The daughter of Fay Calkins, Connie Feeley, lived in the house across the road from the Cecil Calkins farm in the 1950's. It was stoned up just like the church on the hill. I went with my mom and dad to visit the Feeley's at the stone house in the early 1950's. My mom is the older sister of Connie Calkins Feeley-Twigg. Both were also 1st cousins of Berta. That is when I first saw Roberta. She was herding a large number of cows down Sharon Road. That is the county road that was between the two Calkins farms. She was riding a bike and had a dress on. I was a little boy from a town down state and this made a lasting impression in my mind to see this. Whenever I looked at Berta, I could and would recall this event.

So, this was her life before marrying Victor and coming to Bois Blanc.

Last edited by mikewhite on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, from all of us who just assumed that Victor and Berta had been on the island their entire life. I knew that hers and your families were from the Kalkaska area and had been for years. It just never occurred to me that she had ever lived anywhere else.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. She didn't talk a lot about those days to me any ways. Over the last couple of years she did start to tell me things about the family. She told me that Grandma's 1'st child was still born and is berried on the farm under a tree, and that always bothered Grandma that the never moved her to a proper cemetery.

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Burial across the road. Reply with quote

I remember the tree across the road from the Fay Calkins farm. You could see it over on Cecil's land. My mother pointed it out to me when we lived in that same stone house in 1959-60. My mother, Betty Calkins White, recorded who was buried in the Garfield Twp. Cemetery and other cemeteries. One of the things she made sure to do was to record that child buried under that tree down the road from the cemetery. She also recorded many of our relatives that have no headstones, that are buried there. One is a civil war vet, who will soon get a stone because of her work.

We are connected to this island because of the actions of these ancestors from the South part of Kalkaska County. They came when they were young in the 1920's and returned to live here when they were older, Fay, Fred, and Victor Calkins. The sister,Ida Calkins Gibbons, came in the 1920's and never left, bringing the Gibbons from Kalkaska County with her.

Last edited by mikewhite on Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe she also made contact with the current owners and made them aware of the burial there.. Mom is thorough like that.. Smile
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great that they may know.....im sure it would bother Grandma if some thing happened, even by acedent...

William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Berta Reply with quote

Hi sorry to hear> Mike, Ida Gibbons was my Aunt, Her and I and Mamie painted the Church one summer. Boy that was a long time ago,( maybe 60 yrs) Bill Weiss Shocked
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to here form you Bill....It was a hard time and with the holidays seems to be getting harder again.....all the 1st for the first year. Thanks for sharing.

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: thinking Reply with quote

tony ... thinking about you,your dad and mark ..
its a hard road to hoe ..i am sending you all warm hugs and lots of them.
we sure do love you guys !!

~~connie faye ~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: