Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

what to bring?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soldiersmitty
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: what to bring? Reply with quote

My fiance and I are honeymooning on the Island July26th- Aug. 1st.
I've heard its buggy so were bringing lots of OFF.
What else should we bring?
I heard a rumor that there are rattlesnakes on the Island but wasn't sure if it was just a joke. Anyone know if that's true?
thanks
Marcus Smith
Plake
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: what to bring? Reply with quote

Yes, there are rattlesnakes on the island. They are the Massasauga rattlesnake. In my 38 years on the island I see them every few years. It's pretty rare to see them. Most of my time however has been in the interior part of the island and they may be more prevelant along the 'edge' of the island in open areas that they can more easily sun themselves in the mornings. But, like I say, I do see them in the interior part of the island. My guess is that they are all over though.

They rarely strike. You really need to provoke them. My nephew walked right over one and it just laid there. We picked it up with a shovel and moved it down the road. If you see one, please don't kill it. They are almost endangered.

I never worry about them though. I trek all through the forests and again, I RARELY see them.

The bugs aren't too bad this year. It was a dry spring which helped keep them down. June was very wet but they are still not that bad. Just use the bug spray and you'll be fine.

Have fun and congratulations!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: honeymoon hiking? Reply with quote

I don't think you will make hiking a priority on a honeymoon, would you?

I hike here a lot. Common sense says, don't wear flip-flops in the woods and long pants are much more comfortable in the brush. In the off chance you come upon a rattlesnake, Shoes and long pants are a great protection.

I would hope that you do see one. Not many people have that privilege. There are a few pictures of them on this site. Go to the album section and do a search for rattlesnakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: