Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Black Bears on Island?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strait lines
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Black Bears on Island? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knew why there are no Bears on the Isalnd? Drummond has them, What about other Islands like Beaver or Isle Royale do they have Bears?
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears hibernate in the winter when there is ice, and the distance from the mainland is more than they can swim.. ( or choose to ) Drummond is not that far from the mainland... swimming is most likely not a problem for them.. That would be my take.. Wink

Uncle Steve
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: bears Reply with quote

Here is another theory.
Bears never go around in pairs, male and female. Every once in a while a lone bear has come to the island and stayed a while. They eventually move on. Bears are very buoyant and can swim great distances. I watched one swim across the mouth of the Cheboygan river one time. Man can they swim. I suspect, if fate got a male and a female bear together on this island, they might stay longer and have cubs. We might have in problem then. Chances are slim.

Once a family moved to Sand Bay, here, to the house next to me. It was back in the 1920's in the spring. They had to shoo away a bear that was under the front porch.

Now, who can tell us why there are no skunks and porcupines? They can waddle across ice if they wanted to.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: why some but not others Reply with quote

Why are some animals here, but not others?

The place was overrun with red squirrels, but no larger squirrels at all. Can red squirrels swim better or walk farther then bigger ones? The black & gray squirrels were introduced by the DNR.

Here is one that can be figured out. The roughed grouse [Pats] that I had always assumed were here, were introduced by the DNR back in the late 1940's. The theory is that roughed grouse can't fly very far. So, they had to take the ferry to get here.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunks and porqupines hybernate in the winter. Someone would have to bring them to the island, and who would do that??????????

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that raccoons were imported to BBI "for sport hunting" Who's bad idea was that?

I believe wolves and cougars making their way to BBI, across the ice from the UP, is totally possible if it hasn't already happened. Wolves are in the NLP and had to get there some how.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: