Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ownership of Island Telephone Company

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
F Miller
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Ownership of Island Telephone Company Reply with quote

Granted, this is older info. Island Telephone Company is owned by TDS Telecom, a Common Carrier with the FCC. TDS Telephone & Data Systems owns both TDS & US Cellular, with ~12,000 employees.

Ownership/Officers
Source:
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/ownerQryDetail/ownership-search-results-detail.htmapplId=3468830&edittype=R/O&OwnershipSearch=Y&reqPage=1#

As of 5/9/2006:
Island Telephone Company:
Directors:
James W Butman
Lisa A. Cvengros
William J. Megan
Grant B. Spellmeyer
David A. Wittwer [Pres of TDS]

Officers:
President: David A. Wittwer
VP: Larry J. Boehm
VP: William J. Megan
VP: James W. Butman
VP: Lisa A. Cvengros
VP: Paul E. Pederson
VP: Julie DN Schueike
VP: Joseph D. Kirk
VP: David J. Dudsak
Secretary/Treasurer Jerry L. Miller

Disclosable Interest Holder: Direct ownership interest in filer. TDS Telecommunications Corporation 100% Interest held in Filer
Indirect ownership Interest in filer: 100% Telephone & Data Systems, Inc. [held through wholly-owned subsidiary.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK there F. Miller...

I am assuming you are a spokesperson for TDS or otherwise involved in the BBI broadband project? If so, I have some loaded questions for you. As I understand things, this initiative is via gov't funding? This amounts to US taxpayers dollars at work?

I don't disagree that BBI could benefit from broadband. Dsl is old school tech, especially in the hinterlands, as a one up to dial up controlled by phone companies

My question is how on this earth will this ever turn a profit after the fact of installing miles of fiber optic cable to support DSL? To WHO?

With a winter population of +/- 45 people in ? far fewer combined households... at hefty connect costs... in an era when people are ditching land lines enmasse in favor of cell wireless (3-4G which many already have and are subscribed to, and can get BBI service).

I am on the island a few weeks each summer and certainly wouldn't pay for having DSL via land line installed. Not worth it.

Island wide WIFI by subscription makes more sense and I am not sure that would be profitable against 3g wireless.

Cmon here. Pretend I am stupid and sell me this. From what I see, this will benefit a few BBI households for a short period, at huge expense under grants... at the taxpayers expense.

You running this facade on Beaver Island too?

Lets have some figures here. Installation cost. # of subscribers , seasonal and full year. Show me how this is cost effective and will turn a profit long term. I would like some facts, here. I am not buying into this, regardless.

I love BBI and live on the net for daily communications.However this smells like gov't fund bilking to the max.I pay taxes and this sort of thing really pisses me off.

Response?
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickets........
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickets........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: