Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Post office

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Post office Reply with quote

Just saw a list of Michigan post offices that will be closed...Pt. Aux Pins is on the list.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, did it say, will be, or did it say, being considered?

Looks like my brother may be looking for work!
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can they close it? How would anyone get mail? I can kinda see shutting down and consolidating mainland but how would the Island work?
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Post Office Reply with quote

The rational is that many small rural POs gotta go...not enough revenue. Go here to see the list:

http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-press-kits/expandedaccess/statelist.htm
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One theory the post office people have is to move their services to a party store or gas station, etc. and I suppose the people there would get paid something to do it instead of the USPS having employees. Don't you think it dumb that the postal service would abandon the nice little post office they had built here?

Hawks would be a good candidate for the summer, but in winter I suppose it could be done, but would tie down the owners to staying always through the winter.

The other option is that the contract route handle all services somehow.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is on the "being considered" list, which got me to thinking how this might work. When we were kids on the island, "mail call" was like the social event of the day. Noonish would bring the folks, some walking and some driving, to the post office to chat while Audrey sorted the mail. You'd probably re hash yesterdays' chat, or maybe something new popped up. Then Audrey would poke her head out and give the " that's all", you'd collect your mail, and continue on about your day, same time same place tomorrow. Winter time wasn't much different, except for fewer people, if any, waiting, and fewer delivery days. Wonder if running the winter schedule all year long would help to save the post office. Does the operation of that post cost so much that they would reconsider closing if you agreed to open only two days a week all year? Might be worth it to ask.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked postmaster Al what he thought might happen. He said that it is possible that a kiosk be put in the building to dispense stamps, etc.

For him, it would mean forced retirement, with a reduced pension amount.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The management that makes these decisions are looking at red ink on paper. We are dealing wit the same cutback issues in our own BFE rural community= close the PO.

The reality is that there are dozens of ways the PO could streamline low volume rural POs: every other day delivery, alternate every other day RFD delivery, reduced lobby hours. Downsize to meet realistic needs... not standards to meet "one size fits all" nationwide demand-standards ca 1970s load.

Whats wrong with downsizing to 2-3 days/week mail service if that would do it? The earth wouldn't turn upside down. Lots of workarounds and I doubt very few would be at-all inconvenienced. If the Po were run like a business, this wouldn't be a discussion.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Yea, and they want to do Health Care.. Good Luck..

Uncle Steve
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: some just don't get it Reply with quote

The US Postal service treats the lowest and highest on the totem pole equally.

So why are the republican and democrat "debt solution team" wasting money on mail service to low and middle class Americans?

Cut the post office service on little Bois Blanc Island but continue to borrow and spend more money on war than all other countries combined.

If your patriotism/military zeal are one and the same, whal-laaa... there is the reason for losing little dinky post offices located where many low and middle class Americans live. Corporate War trumps pissant American citizens.

AND NONE OF THAT MILITARY OVERKILL PROTECTS OUR FREEDOM. IT PROTECTS CEOs AND MEGA CORPORATE INCOMES. OUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS ARE NO MORE THAN A COMMODITY TO UTILIZE THE NEWEST BULLET PROOF VEST, NIGHT VISION GOGGLES, AND RIDE IN THE NEWEST, STEEL PLATED, 20 TON, SUPER HUMMMER VEES OR THE XZ357 SUPERSONIC STEALTH JET CAPABLE OF PLOPPING A KATRILLION TON NUCLEAR WEAPON ON IRAN IN 60 SECONDS OR LESS DEPENDING ON THE WEATHER. BUT THATS ONLY AFTER OUR BILLION DOLLAR UNMANNED DRONE VIDEOS THE TARGET FOR PRECISION KILLING POTENTIAL. PRAISE THE LORD!

When this country wakes up to what the status quo, MAINSTREAM Democrats and Republicans are doing, in the name of "Gawd and Country", it may well be too late.

They want our pensions, they want your taxes, they want to cut your medicaid, medicare, social security to maintain the obscene incomes that they* enjoy....and it is all in the name of what is "best for you and me".

Ron Paul for President, 2012

*the greedy mfrs of this world that own our government. Koch brothers comes to mind."

PS: I'm well aware of most of Ron Paul's positions.
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stated.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. If the Po were run like a business, this wouldn't be a discussion.

yeah what you said...

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: One way only proposal Reply with quote

HCR STANDS FOR HIGHWAY CONTRACT ROUTE

The people who actually decide if the PO should be closed are being given a proposal that gives them only one option and has glaring omissions. Those people go by what is written on paper and have no idea of the actual situation here. I sent the following to the PO people:

The Flawed Proposal to Close the Pointe Aux Pins Post Office

The proposal being submitted for consideration for closing the Pointe Aux Pins Post Office contains glaring omissions of fact. I think that the people that decide the issue should have all the facts before them.

I hope that the Post Office people attending the meeting, on Bois Blanc Island, on September 10, 2011, have it in their power to correct these glaring and bias omissions. I also hope to read this before that group.

The omissions are:

1. There is no mention that the PO is located on an island.
2. There is no mention, that 10 miles of the 12 round trip miles to Cheboygan, is by water.
3. There is no mention that the HCR is the PO’s main competitor.
4. In considering expenses, there is no mention of the expense of the HCR.

These omissions lead me to believe that the person, or people, who wrote the proposal are biased , and are showing favoritism toward the HCR. The writer, or writers, are closed to the idea of the alternative.

Because the writer’s mind is so closed to the alternative, I will spell it out. This alternative favors no one.

The alternative is to discontinue route service on Bois Blanc Island and to reduce the expenses associated with that enterprise. The competition with the PO is then eliminated. People would then have to rent boxes from the PO and do all their postal business there. Then the PO would increase revenue. The reduced expenses and increased revenue under this alternative should be considered by the powers that decide. If left out of the proposal, it shows that the writer is biased toward only one course of action.

The postal service’s primary concern should not be just closing post offices; it should be the reduction of expenses and the increase of revenue. Without weighing both options in this case, who can tell which way is better.

With two alternatives to consider, the people who decide at least have all the facts before them. As it stands right now, it appears that something fishy is going on.

Last edited by mikewhite on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Alaska PO's Reply with quote

Because BBI's mail has to be boated or flown over, I wonder if it is considered "off road"? I was asked to post this news clipping here.

Off road p.o.'s not closing

25 Post Offices in Alaska NOT closing as previously announced
by Sue Deyoe ~ August 23rd, 2011
Senator Mark Begich’s office confirmed Monday that 25 post offices off the road system will not close.
Last month, the United States Postal Service announced that nearly thirty seven hundred post offices including 36 in Alaska were targeted for closure in order to reduce expenses.
Most of those targeted offices in Alaska were very small post offices, like Skwentna, Shageluk, Anvik and Kobuk. Almost all offices were off the road system and Begich has said those have been taken off the list to be closed.
There are still eleven that are under consideration, including several military base operations as well as Circle, Manley Hot Springs and other remote, but on-the-road system offices.
Begich says there will be another announcement at the end of the week on the other 11 offices on the list.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our small rural post office is currently being "restructured" and let me tell ya, it's a mess.

The physical post office remains open, but only with PO boxes for in-town residents. I assume it will remain like this until the lease on the buildig expires in 2011 and then who knows.

Rural delivery is being consolidated through the next closest town (Remus) for reasons I am not sure. Mail used to arrive around 10 am. Now it is delivered between 4 and 7pm? I am reasonably sure that outgoing mail via carriers does not go out until the next morning, rather than that afternoon as it used to be?

We have two rural routes (basically east and west). I suspect that as the crunch continues, one carrier will be relieved and they will stagger delivery to every other day. MWF and TThS.

We are on the front end of a real mess as the cutbacks ramp up.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tower Michigan Post Office closed it's doors today.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we heard anything new on the Post Office?

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120310/METRO/203100350/Elm-Hall-awaits-delivery-news-post-office?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Here's a link I found interesting. Sounded familiar on several levels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: