Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

empty nester
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: empty nester Reply with quote

Hello:
My name is Jamie Robinson. I plan to be a resident permenantly of the island very soon. We'll be visiting again this labor day, looking for the right land for sale. This will be our 3rd trip to the island.
I'm crazy about sea kayaking.
I've got 25+ years of cooking experience. Isn't there a tavern for sale on the island?
I work with tons of computer hardware here
I volunteer as a mentor for this team--> team1504 Chassis, solidworks

OK so there is a brief skill set.
I need a spot of land with power, room for a camper or two, and a woodmizer
Of course water access is even better for a paddler. But on one of the inland lakes can work too. Long as I can float some sunsets from the yak i'm good.

How about I cad up some electric vehicles for island?

My nickname is repo cause I am always intense
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe no one has responded to your intention to move here. Maybe it is because a lot of us here have our burners turned down, whereas, yours is up on high from the sound of it.

Bring on all that talent and enthusiasm. Become a force here. We need new blood.

I don't want to pop your balloon, but check with the Township about how you go about using the land you get. There are planning and zoning rules. They are easy to get along with, as long as you work WITH them.

Welcome aboard.
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:
I can't believe no one has responded to your intention to move here. Maybe it is because a lot of us here have our burners turned down, whereas, yours is up on high from the sound of it.

Bring on all that talent and enthusiasm. Become a force here. We need new blood.

I don't want to pop your balloon, but check with the Township about how you go about using the land you get. There are planning and zoning rules. They are easy to get along with, as long as you work WITH them.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks. Kids are almost done with college. I'm ready to bail. And I am looking be at least above the 45th parallel or higher. Being a seakayaker I have been all over the great lakes. Beaver island is a little snobby, and I don't do fudge island, I mean Macinaw. Bois Blanc's ebb and flow I like. So having your burners turned down I understand. That is what life on a island becomes. I do get it, that's why I am in.

I believe the vast array of skills I have been aquiring, which my original note was just a small bit, have been garnered in preparing to live the island life.

I'd love to hear from the 67 or so permanent residents what services they would like to see come to the island. (i've got a whole lot to say about the TDS goat show).

Does the township/zoning have their rules accessable online? I've got no issues with following the rules as long as I can read them. heh. The top things I am looking at bringin to the island are:

1. Restaurant or tavern. Wasn't one for sale a while back? I wanna cook for everyone on the island. I've got a chef apprectice degree, and consult/prep at this place.

2. I have acces to a woodmizer and a whole "New Yankee" woodshop. Show me the zoning and let's make cut wood for cottages right on the island. Mouldings, cabinetry, planks.

3. Seriously--> Island Industries. Off the grid systems. Designing electric vehicles . The island is a pefect test bed with the speed limit set to 25mph. And what better real world location to test than some where that electricity is not garunteed. ( or people are accustomed to off the grid living). So show me that area of the island in zoning. Of course probably have to really do this from Cheyboygan. Hey you can run solidworks from anywhere you have a laptop. All I need is a solar panel and an inverter.

4. Cabling. I've had a home automation business in the past . I can install CAT5e, coax, phone lines, and I'm even certified for dry contact fiber too. So I would offer those services for sure.

Anyways I ramble.
r3p0
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy The tavern is still for sale... Contact Barb for details.. Water front, commercial, and septic,water, electric hookups all in one package.. Sounds like just what you are looking for..
Good Luck..

Uncle Steve
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: contacting barb Reply with quote

Uncle Steve wrote:
Very Happy The tavern is still for sale... Contact Barb for details.. Water front, commercial, and septic,water, electric hookups all in one package.. Sounds like just what you are looking for..
Good Luck..

Hello There:

I have found a couple of numbers on this site that were listed for Barb/Tavern, getting ring no answer. I'd love to come and look at the tavern on Friday or Saturday. Maybe someone can relay the message to Barb. We're coming over on the 8:30 ferry Friday. The email address I found for the tavern/ Barb was no good also.

Thanks
R3P0
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call this number...It is her son Eric's phone.. 231 818 0577

Uncle Steve
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Uncle Steve wrote:
Call this number...It is her son Eric's phone.. 231 818 0577

I was able to talk to someone at the Bar. Now they know we are going to visit. Thanks Uncle Steve.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outcome of this visit will be interesting ...
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: OUtcome Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:
The outcome of this visit will be interesting ...

Outcome is we love the bar and grill. Couldn't find much that I would change. Barb gave some other ideas to use the property along with it, for some other needs that the island has. I have a bunch of things to add such as pig roasts, hand cut steaks, a smoker and maybe a gourmet night. I realize that it's steak and potatoes island, but hey maybe folks need something different.

We'd also look to add kayak rentals by the end of the first year there. I've got some slick video projection equipment so maybe a drive in movie night too.

Now the hard part is selling everything I own to come up with the down payment. We're working on a business plan and talking to "relative" investors.

I'm as serious as they come. And We fit Barb's need for "new blood". Hoping to be able to make her wish to spend her time being a grandma a reality. We're sick of lansing

Also we are open to any other suggestions for services that are needed on the island.

Lastly, I didn't get your name, but we appreciate you stopping by our camp at Fossil camp and telling us that a burn permit was needed! We were able to call the chief and get one right away.

Wish us luck raising the money!

Repoman
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I'm pleased for Barb! She deserves to retire.. Hope to meet you and yours soon, Repo. Cool
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Repo... Hope all goes well, we need new blood on The Island. I have some ideas that I will share at a later point in time.. One thing you will find, is that some folks on this site are not for change in any way, and others are all for change in moderation.. That is the key as I see it. The Tavern is a landmark establishment, and should be kept as close as possible to the rustic nature of the Island.. No Neon Lights etc ( Light pollution ) We look forward to your new adventure.. You could not find a better place to retire.. Welcome. Wink

Uncle Steve
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Bar sale Reply with quote

Most everyone loves the bar...food, drinks, socializing, and shuffle board.

Your best adviser will be Barb. That woman knows how to make it work.

The view from the bar has always impressed me. There are not many watering holes that sport a view like that.

If you choose to go for it, we'll be in to meet you and down a few cold ones with some of your food.

Kayakalakeaday VI needs some new kayakers. Hope you are with us in the spring. YOU WILL LOVE THE INLAND LAKES...GUARANTEED!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck to you for finding the money to make the move .. The island is a very special place to live year around, ,I have been there and done that and happy when others can have the chance to do the same .. I am sure I will be there next year, I will stop by and say hello along with dinnner ... Smile
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Took first steps last week Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:
Good Luck to you for finding the money to make the move .. The island is a very special place to live year around, ,I have been there and done that and happy when others can have the chance to do the same .. I am sure I will be there next year, I will stop by and say hello along with dinnner ... Smile

Just an update for those who give a rats a$$.. I took the first steps last week. Put house up for sale, started collecting everything of value to sell on Ebay. Changing jobs down here to facilitate working two paying jobs.

Someone can let Barb know we are still interested and looking for that first 1/3 of the $ for a down payment.

R3P0
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Update 2013 Reply with quote

Well, I'm coming yet again to the island. This time to look at land that the State has for sale.

I'm 29 months away from being debt free. So hoping to be in the island by then or before. Cut up all the CC's in 2010. Hoping to have a tiny house built in the mean time.

Anyone know where I can find an online map of Zoning on the island. My question is what areas fall under the greenbelt rules? I found the legal descriptions online of the zones. I found all the plat maps for the island it's kinda hard to figure them all out not having a zone and master plat map for the names of all the subdivisions so I can look up the plat map. ( Not with out a Dr Whoppie session on the Googles for surveying).

Pass the word to Barb if the tavern is still open (and for sale) that we will drop by and chat again on Friday.

Heck since my last post my beard has turned white...

yes my burners are still on High

cheers,
r3p0
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: See Township Reply with quote

I think I mentioned before that the Township has office hours and is there to help you with any questions about planning and zoning. They can make copies of maps they have. They are set up to help with questions about planning and zoning. It is amazing how people will avoid their help though.
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: See Township Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:
I think I mentioned before that the Township has office hours and is there to help you with any questions about planning and zoning. They can make copies of maps they have. They are set up to help with questions about planning and zoning. It is amazing how people will avoid their help though.
'

Yup thanks. I did call the zoning person and he was kind enough to leave a message answering the questions I had.

We bid on property in S.R. Turners lakeview subdivison. I have already issued a title search via Cheyboygan Title agency. Based on two threads I read on the BBI FB page, I hope if we win , we aren't stuck with messed up encumbrances.

I spoke to the lady from DNR ( patricia harlow) here in Lansing. She said 90% of the properties in the recently closed auction were in the auction because of tax issues from 20-40 years ago. in 2008 the legislature told the state to dump all these properties in each county. This is the last auction having covered all counties at least once. From here the lots will be sold at the price offered, supposedly after Jan 13, 2014. NOT an another auction.

I have contacted Granger Co in Cheboygan for a survey in the spring, and I have a quote already. However it appears that one of the people on the island may have more info on making sure that the surveyors find the right mark to start surveying. I'm sorry I don't remember his name. I have tried to locate any waypoint, or survey markers maps online. I have only seen one and I cannot locate it again.

We also checked out the lots on the first friday of deer season. Kinda odd, the neighbor up the road came down ( Paul was his first name) and said he had to check us out as we didn't have any guns. heh

We walked and fully measured out the sites we were bidding on, with both measure and GPS. So at least we now what we we're bidding on.

I just finished reading all the zoning stuff online and have begun looking at a future site plan for the property should we win.

I still need to find the rules for a septic system which looks like that needs to be the first thing put on the land anyways. I am real glad I bid on 3 lots just to get enough room for a building. Word is that these rules are about to change, if they already haven't

We also took at look at the cottage that is for sale at the end of road. Very well built and ready to be finished. If I were ready to retire to the island today I would snap this up in a minute. 29 months togo. ...

r3p0
Monstar
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that most of these lots which are up for sale by the state are pretty much swamp land or was swamp land. Is that correct?
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monstar wrote:
I was told that most of these lots which are up for sale by the state are pretty much swamp land or was swamp land. Is that correct?

gotta do your homework. At least 50+ different types of overhead satellite data on everything you can think of bois blanc available from USGS etc. We have visited the island many times over the past 4 years at different seasons, before we even considered a purchase. Then we walked off what we believe would be those lots, making sure they were not in the water. And checked them at various seasons.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you would know in the spring. BBI is a drainage anomaly. Across the road from my cabin, are two lots that "appear" high and dry in the summer however under 2-3' of water every spring. One of which is for sale, cleared, ready to build on. Whatever is built on it better be on stilts. That lot sits in a ditch between two gravel berms and takes 100% of the high-ground run off with nowhere to go except downward, eventually, via saturation and evaporation.

BBI is either gravel or bedrock. Some areas drain faster than others and some don't drain, ever.

So answer: Some of these lots are unbuildable even though they might appear dry in the summer or fall once somewhat dried up... Then it comes down to passing a perc test for septic.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the land is buildable and some can't be given away it's so bad.
I wonder when bidders will learn if they got what they wanted?
repoman
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:
Some of the land is buildable and some can't be given away it's so bad.
I wonder when bidders will learn if they got what they wanted?

january 13th. However my friend and I have already received letters that we have won one of our units each that we bid on. However we have not heard on the second parsels each of us has bid on. We believe we won't know this until Jan 13. At that point anything that did go in the auction will be up for sale at the minimum bids.

That begats the question, what is the wettest time in the spring. March or later?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as the snow melts and that usually happens in the first weeks of April. This fall the swamps filled up before the start of winter. With a normal snowfall, and a normal spring melt, they will be flooded in the normal spots around BBI in the spring.
Monstar
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

repoman wrote:
Monstar wrote:

gotta do your homework. At least 50+ different types of overhead satellite data on everything you can think of bois blanc available from USGS etc. We have visited the island many times over the past 4 years at different seasons, before we even considered a purchase. Then we walked off what we believe would be those lots, making sure they were not in the water. And checked them at various seasons.

I was going by what the assessor on the island said. I think thats what she is. Anyways she said that all these parcels from the state are wetland parcels that the state has no use for cause they are wetlands.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Assessor Opinion Reply with quote

The assessor has made a bold opinion. I know that some of the lots are good lands.
This makes me wonder if the assessor wants people not to bid??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: