Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Fishing report anybody?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Fishing report anybody? Reply with quote

This was sent to my webmaster account:
My wife and I planning on a 3 night stay on the Island and have the
following questions:
Is there good fishing (what species) on the inland lakes, i.e., Twin
Lakes, Thompson Lakes? How deep are the lakes and can one launch a 16 foot fishing boat? Thanks for your help, Wendell Martin

http://www.bridge-view.net
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I launch a 15 foot with a 15 hp motor, you just have to drive about 50ft. into the water to get if off your trailer and if you like 3" pan fish (perch, sun fish, bass) You will have a blast. Don't plan on living off your catch, but you will love the time spent
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people "launch" out of the back of a pick-up truck. I once tried to launch from a boat trailer at the East Twin launch site and backed into the lake 40 feet before getting above the trailer tires, gave up and dumped the boat off the trailer at the shore.

It can be awful quiet out on the inland lakes, especially if you go alone. Stillness can be really nice. Who cares about the fish.
Sperry
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the inland lakes look like deepwater lakes,90% is about 3 feet deep. The fish are limited to a couple deeper channels. Kayak or canoe is the best route.

I had some great fishing in July and plan on doing more this weekend when I head back up. The twins have a little of everything(pike, dogfish, bass, perch, sunfish) and Mary's Lake has smallmouth and rock bass. While the new dock at Mary's Lake is very nice it has also attracted a lot of new anglers who have no respect for others. I took my girls out to fish off the dock and watched as a group of 4 men with twin john boats were keeping everything they caught and grilling them up right next to the dock. Yes they were even eating the 30 rock bass they caught on the dock. I guess it made them feel more like men.

I took my girls back 3 days later and they caught 3 fish instead of the standard 30. Those guys left nothing. I think a "catch and release lake" sign would be a nice addition.
shawnee
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Fishing Report Anybody? Reply with quote

I agree 100%. The Lake Mary Assoc. will pursue this matter. Rock bass taste like crap....carp....hell. No cooking of Rock Bass!
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Mad

Are you saying that it is wrong to eat what you catch? I can understand your frustration in not catching what you usually catch, but it is everyone's right to eat/keep what they catch. The last time I checked, Mary's Lake is not private, and open to the public.

I don't like to hear or even think about "Private Assocations" on BBI that will try and govern the land. If that is your thought process, go back to the main land, buy ya a private lake, and govern the hell out of it.

Going and spending time on the island is supposed to be one's chance to live new experiences, relax, and make memories. The day I have to abide by private association rules and regulations on BBI, will be the day I sell my property.

At least they were eating the fish. I often take my girls out fishing and we eat what we catch immediately after fishing, and they love it. And I guarantee, they will never forget those memories, as I have not forgot the times my father took my brother and I to do the same.

By the way, if you don't catch and keep some of the fish in those little lakes, the fish will become stunted even more than they are now.

Ignorance is bliss...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: