Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Dillenger Film

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Dillenger Film Reply with quote

Public Enemies is an upcoming movie about John Dillinger, much of it is supposed to be filmed in Wisconsin. If the story of Dillinger on the island is true it could be fun to see if they would do a few scenes on Bois Blanc.
It seems like an easy place to recreate that era, and they might appreciate the authentic (partial) cabin.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to hear a review from ya, Rich.. Sounds like a good one.. Cool
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I first visted this website , I remembering seeing a sign about Dillinger I can't seem to find it now , but my queston is " didn't John Dillinger hide out or get caught on BBI " ? I've watched the movie twice and there was no mention of Bois Blanc Island Crying or Very sad
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered about this as well when I saw the movie come out. Perhaps the producers of the film decided to leave out this fact, or just didn't have room to fit it in for the time allotted? *shrugs*
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember what years Dillinger was out there on the Island?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for just now seeing and replying to this, months later... Embarassed

As you can imagine, there are numerous conflicting stories about John Dillinger's final days, and the brief time he may have spent on Bois Blanc.

A quick Internet search reveals fairly detailed, day-to-day accounts of Dillinger's whereabouts for much of the time leading up to his death in 1934. None specifically reference BBI. However, there was a period of several weeks during 1934 during which Dillinger's location was unknown, and he was said to have hidden in Wisconsin and "northern Michigan". Some accounts suggest that this was during his recovery from the plastic surgery he underwent to alter his appearance. It was not long before he was killed.

I have an old BBI historical account that (I believe) was written in the early 1970s by a former Island schoolteacher - the name no longer appears on the mimeographed copies, but some longtime residents probably know the teacher and the writing to which I refer. Here is what's written, relevant to the Dillinger story:

"... The Reeds Camp on the east end of Twin Lakes was rented by Jay Gibbons, caretaker of the camp, to a person thought to have been the famous outlaw, John Dillinger, and his companions. At the time these men were on the island, the newspapers stated that he was somewhere in northern Michigan, recuperating, after having plastic surgery done on his face. One man did all the talking and, with some islanders as his audience, displayed some fantastic target practicing with his revolver. They were often seen going to the west end in view of Mackinac Island, which was thought later to have been their means of communication. [Their] exact arrival or departure time was never known by any of the island people."
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the teacher at that time been Ann Anderson?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Helen Smith Reply with quote

A young girl named Helen Smith came to the island to be the school teacher. The Gibbons boarded her. That is where she got a lot of her "information" for the pamphlet she wrote called "The History of Bois Blanc Island". Much of the "information" was oral history that does not correlate with other written accounts of what happened on BBI. The island museum has it.

A young man was also on the island named Gail Crouch. His mother was a Calkins, sister to my grandfather, Fay Calkins. Gail and Helen got married, and in later years lived in Cheboygan. They were really nice people.

There is a Brief History of Bois Blanc Island published in the Bois Blanc Island Association, Island Directory written by Cris McAfee. It is based on Helen's work, and my unpublished work, plus a few other books.

Cris left out the Dillinger "information" in her history. There is no evidence to support it. That does not mean that it did not happen. Dillinger was supposed to be HIDING here wasn't he? That would be a good reason for no evidence to support the story. We will never know for sure.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps to paint a much more complete picture. I think Helen Smith was indeed the author of this piece, which was shared with my Dad shortly after he bought our original BBI property back then. I would say that any such material on Dillinger needs to be taken with a grain of salt, as facts are often stretched and twisted (or ignored altogether) in the interest of making a good story. I'm not accusing Ms. Smith of that, just accepting the likelihood that the re-tellings of this story from 1934-?? took on a life of their own. It certainly seems plausible enough, so I am wide open to the possibility that the man and his co-horts did visit briefly.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: picture of the cabins along firetower road Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the cabins early 1950's.

Click this: http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?full=true&pic_id=2795
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: The Movie Reply with quote

I thought Johnny Depp did a good job on the movie . after watching twice I researched the girl friend he called blackbird , and I was intrested in what I found because dillengers girlfriend was native american and not to far from home, Wink but I wish they would have mentioned the island , but thats the movies for ya , always leaving out the good parts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: