Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Picture request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillBDunn
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Picture request Reply with quote

Greeting Boblo Friends-

It's been a little while since I last visited, but the island is always with me, heart and soul...I am the daughter-in-law of Ronald Dunn whose family has visited the island for eons!

I'm hoping you can help me on this...I am a glass art enthusiast and have started a little blog. My next entry is about stained glass and it's connection to the church. I was very, very hopeful that someone (Susie perhaps) could help link me up with a great photo of light coming through that georgous window at the Episcopal church on the island. Plus, if anyone knows a little about the history of it's origin that would be extremely helpful.

When I post the picture on my blog, I would give entirely all credit to the photographer and link up to their website if desired.

Please let me know if this is something you could help me out on...I have older pictures, but they aren't the greatest.

Kind Regards to all-

Brandie Dunn
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Rose Window at the church Reply with quote

This rose window was brought over from Cheboygan on the steamer Duluth in 1906. It was the design of Eustace Ziegler and constructed in Detroit by the firm of Fredrick & Wolfrum.
Source; Cheboygan Democrat.

The picture posted of the rose window was taken by Bill Owen many years ago, and he should get the credit, if used. It was a slide picture that has been scanned. This low resolution picture, compliments of the Historical Society, is the best I can do at this time.
http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?full=true&pic_id=2794
WillBDunn
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rose window was brought over from Cheboygan on the steamer Duluth in 1906. It was the design of Eustace Ziegler and constructed in Detroit by the firm of Fredrick & Wolfrum.
Source; Cheboygan Democrat.

-------------------------------------

Now THAT is the kind of sleuth work I was hoping for on this subject Mike. With what I know now about Eustace and his connections to the island as well as his art background, I've got goose bumps thinking about writing about this on my humble blog...lol I can't thank you enough for you help!

Much appreciated-

B. Dunn
WillBDunn
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here is a link for anyone interested in the little blog post I wrote up about this amazing window.

https://studiodunndesigns.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/seek-and-ye-shall-find-part-ii/

I really enjoyed digging in and researching this subject...But I only scratched the surface.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Was Christ painted on? Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone has got up close to see if the picture of Christ in the center was painted on the glass. It looks like it was, from looking at the picture on your nice site. It should be confirmed.

In one of the books written about Eustace Ziegler, there is a picture of the Nelson Lumber Camp. When young, Eustace worked in it for a short time. The site of that camp still remains along a trail in the west part of section 4, called the Vice Road by the Babcocks.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad said the 1st time he found that road it had a huge pile of birch logs about 15' high and is wasn't far from there that we found an old vice.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
WillBDunn
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: F.Y.I. Reply with quote

In my email exchanges with Barbara Kreuger, she shared this helpful information that "may" help answer some questions about the painting. Barb said that in the last 10 years or so a granddaughter of Detroit Glass Works (formerly Friedrichs & Wolfrum) has on 2 occasions given archival information (LOTS) to the Michigan Stained Glass Census which has provided over the years a very good overview of the work of the firm....In addition, at the historical section of the Detroit Public Library are many years of accounting books which apparently list the church jobs, who the contact was, the cost, etc.......all very informative.

That is where I would start digging to find out what it might say about the window. What I would be looking for is if there is any evidence it was simply oil on glass (perhaps Eustace painted it once it was on the island?), OR if it was fired on enamel by the stained glass firm (which would be the best case scenario).

Merry Christmas & a Happy 2012!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: