Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Where are the Birds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIRDMAN
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Where are the Birds? Reply with quote

I would like to be in touch with someone on island who is an expert on the birds there during breeding season from end of May until mid June. I want to start a new birding class/tour as I did along northern Lake Huron shoreline west of Hessel for many years as we have a family cabin there with most of the nesting woodland bird species using our property area.

Give me some contacts for bird experts and trail ideas for conducting bird study classes for beginners. Will keep them small in size.

Also need contacts on any cottages to rent for weekend or week perhaps during times above. How bad are the biting insects on the island end of May and early June? I can deal with them, many city people who are birders can not. Anything or anyone else I need to know on the island? please give best contact info also. Email me: greatlakesbirding@gmail.com, Thomas Schneider
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: No experts Reply with quote

Experts on birds must be lacking on BBI these days.

I can tell you though, that the end of May and beginning of June is when the bugs get going really good [bad]. If you think about it, that is probably good for the birds. I do recall, when I was a kid, that the bugs were thicker night or day. Consequently, the birds, bats, frogs, etc. also seemed thicker then.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: 1st Robin Reply with quote

Speaking of birds, we saw our 1st Robin in Bay City Feb. 23rd! It has been a mild winter here for sure. Our 1st Robin sighting is usually a week or two into March.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen a robin... but seeing starlings and RW Blackbirds... about a month ahead of normal...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: birds Reply with quote

So, it is the 21st of march and the robins are here. About two days ago the juncos showed up. Also about two days back the Sandhill Cranes arrived. Last night the frogs started singing out in the swamp behind our house. This is one of the earliest springs I have ever seen in my lifetime. I do hope that all those migrating critters have not made a mistake and end up freezing.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure do wish the boats were running so we could get to the island to see the robins, flowers and all the rest.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME TOO!!!!!!!

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: