Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Meeting at Insel Haus for new Travel Tourism business?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIRDMAN
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Meeting at Insel Haus for new Travel Tourism business? Reply with quote

Would like all interested parties to meet me, hopefully at Christa's Insel Haus (ok Christa?) possibly, TBD, to discuss what makes Bois Blanc so special for a new tourism business catering to small specialty groups for nature study, photography, birding, financial planning, Great Lakes conservation groups, the possibilities are nearly endless. would like to meet all local experts on topics relevant to above subjects meet me at a sort of mini conference to get to know you personally and obtain your experience and knowledge on life at Bois Blanc. I will be there for about a week at first, going around the island by boat but never landing, imagine that! Though I have been on many Great Lakes islands, both large and small and remote and busy, yours is going to be my home base to show much of the Great Lakes natural beauty for both business and pleasure. So come help me out please!

I am thinking a time somewhere between June 1-6 for this meeting, are evenings best for you, what time or hrs work best for you? I need all to fix on one time best for all involved or most all, I am flexible. Meeting should last 2 hrs with refreshments? Hopefully! You can call or text me direct: 734-772-2826. I thank you in advance.

BIRDMAN Wink
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Tourist botany Reply with quote

Tom, I replied to your direct email to me. After reading this, you may not want to see me. Here is what I wrote. -

Tom, the word tourism turns people off here on BBI. This place also has been called the poor man's Mackinac. I once was driving by the Insel Haus, and suggested to a biologist that it would be a great place to gather and discuss botany, plus go out and look at the flora. The answer was, no, the cost was too great.

In running a business you have income and expenses. Expenses would be high, and the people you want to serve are cheap. If you want a business, you must pay the employees. A guide would cost you.

At present people are going on nature hikes without the expense of being proclaimed a tourist and being catered for a fee. It is done just for the pleasure of doing it, and it's a lot more pleasurable when it costs almost nothing to do. You need to find 'dependent' people. The class of people that go scouring the woods are 'independent'. I do not think your venture will fly, but I have been found wrong before.

Good luck.
rab49735
$$$$ Repeat Donor $$$$
$$$$ Repeat Donor $$$$

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not live on the island so did not reply when Birdmans letter first appeared. As I see and understand it, The few folks that live on BBI year around already supply the services in question when needed.
Anyway, I have been waiting for your responce since the first posting.
Hope all on the Island are busy and enjoying life..............rab
BIRDMAN
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Tourism is a Trap that I am not going to set Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, but I am not meaning the usual form of tourism as travel employees do. I know from conducting many workshops and tours over many years, that people like to be shown a shared form of artistic endeavor, like my own branch of environmental photography, and also be taken to the places to explore the subject matter that they do NOT know how to find on their own, or independently as you say. I am thinking mainly here of professional people from city environments or other settings where nature exploration and study is not any real part of their daily routine as it has been mine for so long. I have found that children and adults really do enjoy viewing the natural world if they have someone to show it to them or if in those often pristine environments they can learn some technique to better their craft or artistic endeavor,and they are willing to pay for it. Yes, it can be free or it can be fee paid. And though I would agree, we are in more of a 'free" state of mind, there are still plenty of participants with enough "free" time and cash to pay out for services they really want to participate in. Artistically. I am not out in the environment with others just to show them where this and that is in it as a botanist or biologist would and then lecture them about it. I did enough of that for years as a DNR naturalist myself in a lower MI state park. But if advertised in right places, there are people however few who will pay for both instruction and guide service where similar interests are communicated. Of course, I'm not talking about a ferry boatload of people. My artistic endeavors wouldn't allow for that kind of tourism anyway. And yes, it generally takes a lot of workshops and tours to make it financially worthwhile. But its still a worthy enterprise I think.

BIRDMAN : Cool
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this island, if there was a choice of things to do, sharing nature with others, is the best type of endeavor that could be chosen. It makes those who live here realize better what they have around them. Therefore, they would think twice about changing the environment that they live in.

As a hobby, it might work. As a business, I still have doubts. Proof is in the pudding.
BIRDMAN
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: The Serenity of Bois Blanc, the Generosity of Mike White Reply with quote

A big thank you to Mike White for his time and generous sharing with my wife and I as we explored Bois Blanc from Insel Haus for the very first time on this island, though I have explored many Great Lakes islands by boat from Wisconsin to Georgian Bay, Ontario while studying birds.

Mike took us over to Round Island for some hours of fine inland study. A lot of fine things there and a keepsake or two. Traversing the cliff side where the vegetation started below the top was a winner though our feet were certainly sore that next day!

Mike, thanks for all your help in making our first time visit such a memorable one, and we are looking forward to returning soon.

Thomas and Nancy Schneider Very Happy
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does financial planning figure into all of this?
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a good question, and a quest I think suited much better for places elsewhere.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, I thought the 'haus was closed ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: