Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Internet cable/waterlevels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Internet cable/waterlevels Reply with quote

On my last visit in November, I saw for the first time our new island "internet cable" project. I am wondering if those "millions" of dollars might have been better used to dredge the marina. Of course, cable dollars are budgeted separately from dredging dollars.

I am amazed that those dollars could be allocated to such a small community. But once again, the federal government hands out money it does not have for a nonessential, luxury project. And now, the BBI community, me included, will be hoping that the federal gov. will finance a "nonessential" (for 99.9999999% of the US population) dredging project...for a small number of full time residents and part time visitors. We all gripe about DC spending. This cable spending benefits a very, very, very small number of people and is not essential for day to day living...it is a luxury. The operation of the ferry is in my opinion much more essential. But, heh, that's my opinion.

I know Curt is limited right now about what he can haul to or from the island. What if No trash trucks can go off?? No concrete trucks to the island?? Building projects in limbo?? Real estate for sale that cannot even be accessed??

How much are property owners ready to pony up for a functional marina??

But, heh, BBI has fast speed cable internet.

For you believers out there, start praying for more water or a change in climate. Drought and mild winters is the cause, so "they" say.
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember many years ago Durocher coming in to dredge the harbor. Does anyone remember where the funding came from?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Dredging Reply with quote

I can't remember the exact details, but it seems that it wasn't all that many years ago that the harbor had to be dredged. It was a taxpayer funded thing of course. The feds put up a large percentage and the township funded the remainder. I recall that the township asked that the harbor be dredged a foot or so deeper then planned. There were some squawkers about that, as it cost more. It was a *darn* good thing that they did it.

The harbor is at a maximum depth. The metal boxes that are the dock, just set on the bottom. They could be undermined, if the depth is increased. The bigger worry, is out just beyond the end of the dock, where it is shallower then in the harbor. The biggest worry is in the Cheboygan river just upstream of the bridge, between where the ferry docks and the bridge. I wonder if taxpayer money will be used in Cheboygan to aid our ferry service?

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, being always 20/20, when it comes to where the money should have been spent. What is done is done. The cable laying job has kept some off island people employed. Even some people on this island have gotten a little "stimulus" from the installation of fiber optic tubes. I know that the ferry service has been "stimulated". That money will help pay for the replacement engine. So, therefore, it will "stimulate" someone else. And on and on and on. So, the money goes not so much to Bois Blanc, but to others. The physical result of the "stimulus", the cable, is on this island, and I am happy for that. The one that will benefit the most from all this is TDS Telecom. They get "stimulus" plus ownership of the physical installation. I am not complaining though, even though I may have to "stimulate=pay" TDS to use the infrastructure paid for with tax dollars.

I recall Ray Plaunt bringing heavy things over on a barge pulled behind his boat. I wonder what the future holds if the water keeps going down?
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whole hearted agree with you Mr. John Engel...

We also need to keep Americans employed by buying American made cars so we can keep our fellow Americans employed, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: