Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Deer Hunting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Deer Hunting Reply with quote

Can anyone give me the status of Deer Hunting on the Island the last few years?

My last year hunting there was in 1989 and it was getting sparce for the most part. Dad was looking for the monsters so we moved to hunting the UP and never ended up getting back...

Dad recently passed away as did his best friend and my gramps a few years before. Only ones left of the original deer camp are me and my buddy who was my dads best friends son. My buddy and I would like to come back and hunt there again and spark the memories and visit what we remember growing up hunting the Island.

Just wondering about the health of the "herd" there and all that. Any information would be very much appreciated!

DWS

A Pic of Gramps (Left) in the mid 60's with a Boise Blanc Bruiser

BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great old pic....Do you remember the Babcock, Plaunt, Gahn, Card, Sears families? They are all part of my family. My Dad Victor Babcock still lives there. Hunting got realy bad for a while, very few deer and a lot of hunters left. It has gotten better but still small dear herd compared to the 60's, 70's and early 80's. Good luck on your decision.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
S&S
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I know the the names from listening to my gramps and dad talk over the years...

I remember talking to the Plaunts every year when dad would reserve a spot for our vehicles on the ferry. I remember as a kid that I liked Kurts dad - listening to him talk to gramps and dad on the boat ride over gave me that impression. My interaction with Kurt when he took over was always solid....

Like I said - I know the other names Sears, Babcock and such from talks around the table after a long days hunt. I wish I listened more and could recall all the things that were talked about in those days...

Being a typical kid - I was only interested in the hunt so alot of the conversation was to "grown up" and was over my head.

We're definetly coming back for a revial hunt. Maybe come back in November and break out our dads rifles and relive the old days. Maybe next year we can get this going. Glad I found this site so I could get back in the groove and chat about BBI...

I have some other pics I'll dig out of Gramps and such back in the day on BBI...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: