Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ice Conditions Winter 2012-13
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Ice Conditions Winter 2012-13 Reply with quote

Yesterday there were big rollers and whitecaps on the South channel. This morning, Jan. 21, the channel is covered with ice. Such a change.

If it can hang in there through the day, when winds get stronger, it will then go through another cold night. The temperature right now at 8:20am is 7 degrees. Tonight it is supposed to be colder yet.

Interesting to me, was on the news last night, the announcement that the channel between St. Ignace and Mackinac Island has been closed to ships. Maybe that channel has already locked up?
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...keep up the good work on the ice postings. I think I'll meet Paul at the channel marker Friday to check Embarassed but I like the latest reports
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: cold is good Reply with quote

Minus 4 degrees at my place this morning, Jan. 22. Standing on the frozen shore, it is so quite that I could hear traffic on the highway between Cheboygan and Mackinaw City.

I have now heard that the South Channel is closed to ship traffic today.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering how it was going up there ..... thanks for the update .....

That is really quiet ! There are so many people in this world that would love and appreciate living in such a peaceful place ....
Sparty
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Ice Breaker Reply with quote

I noticed that, for the past week or more, the new Coast Guard Cutter has been docked in Macinaw City. Is that its normal winter home?
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://greatlakesecho.org/2013/01/17/satellites-reveal-scant-great-lakes-ice-cover/
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Notice Reply with quote

Thursday, January 24, 2013
Don't even think about crossing the ice this week-end. The ice is only 1 1/2 inches thick. There is no tree line.

Charlie check this out. See the ice daily, go here:
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1

Here is today, the 24th of Jan. You can download the photo.
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.13024.1822.LakeHuron.143.250m.jpg

You can almost see my house.
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You've posted that DNR hunting map of Bois Blanc Island from 1974 on Facebook, showing the roads and RR grades.

You say that the back side has hunting data reaching back to the '40's. Is it possible to scan and post that back side as well?
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update Mike

I wish I could cross,
but I would only do it in my hovercraft
my thought at this time the best way is by air!

I'm glad you send us updates from what I consider to be heaven!

Mike
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update Mike

I wish I could cross,
but I would only do it in my hovercraft
my thought at this time the best way is by air!

I'm glad you send us updates from what I consider to be heaven!

Mike
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Saturday Jan. 26, 2013 Reply with quote

Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013
Ice is 2 1/2 inches thick and warm weather coming.
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for scanning the hunting data on Facebook.

Teasing out the causes behind the hunter/deer kill numbers might be interesting. Note the 10 year period from 1958 - 68 when the harvest was 9-10 kills per sq mi.

Do you recall if the woods seemed over-grazed during that period versus today? (It seems to me that the DNR fenced several areas for comparison about that time. I checked this summer and their under brush appeared less robust than in the past. I ascribed this finding to low water. But my frame of reference could be flawed.)

My bias is that the deer population on the Island is too dense because there are are some cedar woods that don't seem to be able to repopulate. What do you think?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: deer Reply with quote

I posted on that exact subject on facebook, just before coming to this site and seeing your post.

The browse line everywhere in the cedars, at that time, was much more pronounced than now. They put the ex-closers up in the hardwoods to show browsing of ground hemlock. The Conservation Dept., at that time, would say that the decline might be associated with the decline in ground hemlock.

Don't no much about repopulating cedar. I do know that the deer depend on it. The heavy snow that we had this winter, was a good thing for the deer. Right now there are much more cedars down, with fresh boughs to eat. That may be counterbalanced by the not deep snow, which keeps the deer from reaching the boughs up high, and also allows the coyotes to run fast enough to keep up with the deer. Many natural factors working against each other causing a NATURAL balance of the herd. I like natural.

The tame Pines deer is due mainly to one man, who has fed them big time for years.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back on subject. The ice has not gained much in thickness. It still is 2 1/2 inches or less out further. A big wind could take it away easy.
Tom Freye
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: ice Reply with quote

some peopie dont practice what they preace. 21/2 inches really
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babbles? is that you or did you start your own "How not to spell" school? I need to hurry up and get my secret decoder ring out of the shop....
Tom Freye
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: ice Reply with quote

here we go, dont know how to spell check only ice check. lets give them something to talk about
Tom Freye
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: ice Reply with quote

besides i didnt get to attend bbi u. where you guys won every spelling bee.probably first second or third out of a class of three. for all you know i may have many awards also.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas...you go Brother...I can tell you from first hand experience you have more 1st place awards than those two boobs Razz Babbles was real good at gazintaz like (27 gazinta 9 three times) and blue Balz thunk he was real good at spellin, he could sing his spellin songs like nobody else. Member that one about that one state with all the pp's and I I's and a couple a m's Confused

I'm am officially 10 years dumber for even going to school with them Embarassed
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: ice Reply with quote

sad there is so much bbi against the world feeling. dont just start stuff and crawll back in the swamp.theres scary stuff in there
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Ground Hogs Day Reply with quote

Getting back on subject again --

After the big thaw the ice has become weak and brittle. It kind of reminds me of an egg shell, it seems strong until you break it. The open water has invaded quite a way towards the West. Note that Mackinac has no ice. This cold weather has increased the thickness a smidgin. Still not safe. Note that if a straight line were drawn between Sand Bay and Pries, it would cross open water.
Photos are posted. http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=2842
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: treeline installed Reply with quote

A treeline is installed after a few more days of cold weather.

6 1/2 inch minimum, but remember that the ice is never truly safe. It is not completed entirely on the mainland side.

Warm weather is coming. Call someone here on Bois Blanc for a status report. Do not try to cut straight across, because it was open water out there only 4 days ago. The treeline makes a wide swing west around that and is on older ice.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...any good news on the crossings! I hear it looks very safe from about 1000 ft in the air, but that doesn't tell me how fast I'm going to need to hit if from shore Sad
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a 1979 Yamaha entiser like me you don't have to worry about ice......just put it to the handle bars and hang on.... Rolling Eyes

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: