Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

How is the water level looking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: How is the water level looking? Reply with quote

I wondered if you islanders who are currently on the island have any observations to share about the water levels? We have read that the lakes have been down at their lowest levels in recent history and I wondered what your visual observation indicates. Seems like we have gotten a fair amount of rain and maybe snow in the late winter early spring and I wondered if that might have helped a bit. I heard that if the water levels are too low, the ferry may have some problems at the Cheboygan dock. Any info would be appreciated (including any insider info on when the boat will start running this year). Thanks.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: water level Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
I was down at the dock yesterday. Took a board and shoved it down to the bottom off the ramp. It was around 5 1/2 feet there. The levels will go up from this point as it always does in the spring. How Plaunt will handle the situation is anyone's guess.

The ice is gone where Plaunt parks. The boat launch is still frozen in. There has been no firm commitment for a start date. Rumor control says May 1.

I am guessing that Plaunt may only go with light loads. No huge equipment. Total speculation though. In the past, he added water inside the forward bulkheads and a loaded dump truck at the bow. That raises the props up higher in the stern.

That's all I know, not much.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Just curious, at your property or on the coast near Hawks does the water look much lower than last year or about the same? Thanks again.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: lake levels Reply with quote

The levels fell quite fast last fall after most people left. A new record low came in mid winter. Since then the level has started to come back up following the normal trend line. It is very low. The prediction of the Army Corps of Engineers is that it will come up to the level we had last summer.

That means, for those who show up in mid summer, the lake should look little different from last summer. The region had a normal (1960's) amount of snow. The prediction could come true, if we have a ongoing wet spring and summer.

I'm still waiting for the ice to leave the shore here at my place. I will take a picture then.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. It would be nice to think that all of the snow and rain that Michigan and Wisconsin and perhaps Ontario have received this spring will translate into higher lake levels--at least high enough not to negatively impact the ferry. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

Now if we could just get some warm weather . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: