Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Utopia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batnavel
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Utopia Reply with quote

Any body up for starting a Utopian society on Bois Blanc??? I sure am and I havent even been there yet. If you are interested, let me know, so I can do a bunch of research now, and get some things in line for this summer when I make my first, (and then hopefully final, forever, infinity and a day) trip. ^v^
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh Question Question confused

Perhaps you could shed some light on the subject... Razz
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utopian... Excellent, but existing only in fancy or theory, ideal.... That's what my dictionary says... So I'm not sure of the point.. Personally I appreciate what is imperfect about the Island.. It builds character.. You either love it or hate it... For those of us who love it I guess that would make it ideal for us and thus..... utopian.... Ok, got the point now. So what is the society's goal?
Batnavel
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from what I understand, a Utopian Society is one of self efficiency, where all members have common goals. A "perfect political and social system" says Websters. "An idealized place of perfection" I havent done a lot of research, but I know that a group tried to form one in New Harmony Indiana several years back. My desire to do so is to get away from the hustle and bustle of every day life, and away from the PEOPLE that make it that way. I know, that sounds like retirement, but I'm so young!!!!!!
^v^
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any of us who don't live on the island full-time are guilty of adding to the "hustle and bustle" you are experiencing on the mainland. Since I frequently visit the Island, then, it would be logical to say that I am bringing some of my imperfectness with me when I come across. I hope you are not implying that I'd have to either be part of the society or stay off BBI. And if that's not what you're saying, then I don't see how you can create a political and social system that doesn't conflict with the one by which the rest of us are governed.

The Federal, state, county and township oversight of the Island is imperfect, but must remain in place to protect those of us who want to make sure that we and our families are safe when we visit or, in some cases, live on the Island. We respect others' privacy and property and expect them to respect ours. We also respect the unique ways of the Island, which have been in place much longer than the 31 years I've been visiting.

As you research your idea, check out the story of the Stitt family (formerly) of BBI. I will not comment on it, as it is potentially a sore subject and this is a friendly Board. Just something to be aware of, and to learn from.

That being said, I think you can still find much of what you're looking for on Bois Blanc. To me, it's just a great place where I learned a lot while growing up. Nothing political or apolitical. Nothing social or anti-social. Gotta love it as-is or lump it!

Dan
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-reading my message - I hope you won't take it the wrong way. For those who know and love Bois Blanc as it is, it's already as close to Utopian as one can get. I'm happy to let that happen. The notion of a "created" society implies that someone is now going to tell me what is perfect, and how I'm to behave in that setting. That makes me uncomfortable. But I don't think you meant it to be that way, and I apologize if I was over-reacting. Embarassed

Dan
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what he said.... Good job, Dan.. Very Happy
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You go Dan, I agree with everything you said. 100 %
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speaking only for myself, as a full-time resident, but this is already Utopia to me! I could NOT go back to living in the city! However, wherever you live, there must be laws, rules, etc. to protect the way of life. We don't always like them, but they exist for definite reasons. Cool
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would make you want to try and establish this Utopian Colony on a place you've never been? What if you hate it?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! Good point... Believe it or not there are people who do not love it! My Dad isn't big on it.. Always called it Alcatras! Laughing Mostly it bummed him out it was so far to the Bar from the Pines and he had to depend on others to get him there.. (Back in his drinkin' days) He likes it more now that he's older, mostly because he's always happy to go visit his boys!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going back looking at older posts and I really liked your comments in this one, Dan. Besides your education on the island, from where did you receive your formal education?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Brad. I'm an MSU graduate - although I think the BBI education has been more important in my life. Laughing So much more to learn!

Dan
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMU grad myself....big UM fan but you are o.k. in my book, Dan. Sparty's had a nice run in the b-ball tournament.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: