Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Dan's website..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Dan's website.. Reply with quote

Dan...your website is really nice. I love the pictures of the old red Ford. I really understand the sentiment that you have for this vehicle. It is a piece of you and the wonderful memories of your dad. My dad also passed in 1996 of cancer. I think of him every day. I am restoring (although not nearly to the extent that you are with the truck) my dad's old 1956 Larson Crestliner boat. Every time that I take this boat out, I think of him and I picture him at the stern, smoking his pipe and steering the old 7 1/2 horse Evinrude. I admire and understand the efforts you made to retrieve an important piece of your family....Brad
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words, Brad. I know you understand how difficult it is to lose your Dad, and these images and "artifacts" help to bring some level of comfort. I'll bet you and he made some great memories on that boat.

My Dad probably never realized how much it meant for me to spend time on the Island with him, and that old truck somehow represents those times for me. On the boat ride over, he'd always joke, "Well Dan, if your old Ford doesn't start this year, I guess we'll just have to give it to Charlie Vargo." He knew that'd get my goat - Mr. Vargo was the Island junkyard proprietor who passed away not too many years ago. But that dang truck ALWAYS started, and (obviously) we never gave it away.

Someday, when it's fully restored (if they'll let me out of the retirement home by then Wink), I plan to take it on a road trip back to the Island one more time - just crank the windows down and bounce around the backwoods like we used to, get it all dusty and smelling like Bob-Lo again, then go on back home. A pilgrimage, of sorts, back to where it all began.

I'm also tempted, as a finishing touch, to add some Bois Blanc-related logo to the side of the truck - to restore it as though it belonged to one of the Island businesses. Maybe "Bois Blanc Island Historical Society" or "Andy's Place - Bois Blanc Island, MI" or "The Pines Hotel". It would be a great conversation starter at cruise night or on parade day!

Take care,
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: