Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

" I wish we had ?? on BBI
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: " I wish we had ?? on BBI Reply with quote

:wave: OK folks, it's now time to find out if this BBI BB membership really has creative, yet grounded in reality thoughts on a Question that I have asked many folks each time I visit THE Island.... The question is:
" What type of new business would enhance the enjoyment of the Summer population staying on BBI. and NOT be intrusive .. ? ".

As a guide let me share some responses I have received in the past.

Batting cages
Miniature Golf /Driving range
Arcade games
Trampoline center
I am sure there are many others, please let me hear what you think..
Thanks

Uncle Steve
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but i don't like any of those ideas...if the summer population isn't happy with the beauty and "naturalness" of the island, maybe they should be spending more time on the smaller island only a few miles away, you know, the one with arcades and miniature golf. i mean no disrespect, but i thought the lack of large, bright plastic toys is the reason we all love it there. The thought of having miniature golf on our island kind-of makes me sick to my stomach. i love that my childhood on the island wasn't really that different from my father's and grandmother's childhoods on the island. i would like it to be similar for my children...Personally, i would like to see money spent on making the old dock a safer place to swim...
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Katie... You are saying what most of us feel about the Island.. Sounds like you are a TRUE believer in the beauty of the Island , However I am just sharing what some others have said and am trying to get a feel for a possible potential business on BBI And I promise you, that what ever business venture I may do on the Island .. I will make a $ 1,000.00 contribution to making the old dock saferů Actually the other business should think about doing that anyway.. ( Just a thought )

Uncle Steve
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think something Like the ole Pines Hotel would be awesome.. With kayaks and bikes for rent and a laundrymat!
leebird
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto to what katie said.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally want for nothing when I am on the island. My family, friends and myself find all the entertainment we need when we are there. It is the lack of those types of businesses that you mentioned that attracts me and I'm sure, many others to the island. I think most islanders enjoy the serenity and solitude of the island and somehow the thought of go-carts racing around a track, to me, seems to tarnish those ideals.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Mad GO Carts NEVER.... !!!!! Or anything with a motor on it for that matter....

Uncle Steve
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Entertainment on the island Reply with quote

I have been coming to the island for 33 years (600 miles 1 way) and have been there well over 100 times. Many of the reasons I come up for are no longer there. I remember when we used to go to the bar and myself and Everett Jewel "biff" would sometimes play our nonelectric guitars with many of the locals and everyone had a ball and you could still talk to your friends at the next table. Now if you go there (which we probably won't unless things change) the music is cranked up to a level of which you can't make out what anyone is saying. Many of the people that come to the island don't get there that often and it is a natural meeting place for meeting old friends. I think rather than wondering what to bring to the island, we should consider what we don't want there. The solitude and primitive way that many have survived through the years is part of the mistique of the island that has drawn so many of us there. I go there to get away from the everyday Rat Race! I know time changes everything, I would rather remember Bois Blanc Island as the Island that refused to go modern!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Riding stable... Reply with quote

I would like a riding stable with reasonable, daily rates. Nice horses, quiet rides in the wilderness...I remember riding with my cousins along the power lines and trails and it was always a wish to have this there...I have enough problems with the 4 wheelers whipping by and the loud motor cycles some bring to the island. Peace and a quiet ride..
I agree with Susie that I would like some kind of hotel or lodge built with some of the bike rentals, a putt putt course like the old Pines, something like that.....nuf said!
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al's Sister wrote:
I think something Like the ole Pines Hotel would be awesome.. With kayaks and bikes for rent and a laundrymat!
ditto - plus maybe coin-op showers for those of us who aren't totally into roughing it, that might be pushing the limits of modernization though. Very Happy
Al'sOtherSister wrote:
I would like a riding stable with reasonable, daily rates. Nice horses, quiet rides in the wilderness...
ditto

oh yeah, and a fudge shop Rolling Eyes Laughing
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Bad Talk NO FUDGE Rob.. That is way out of bounds, however the Pines and Horses are starting to bring an idea together...As you know I have experience in both of those areas, Lets see what else the BB brings to life...
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Hello Again! Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I haven't been here in a very long time, since January I believe. Let me just say life got in the way, but I missed everyone and had to check in to see what's going on.

This topic caught my eye as a frequent "vacationer" to the Island. We've only been to the Island once to camp during the summer. Most all other times have been in the Fall for 2 weeks (we rent a cottage) during whitetail deer season, and an occasional weekend camping trip to scout for deer and build natural ground blinds.

I would like to see the northshore campgrounds improved. Nothing major, just primitive box type toilets and maybe a drinking water pump. A nice picnic table and a permanent fire-ring at every site would be a good idea too.

As far as a new business, a laundrymat would be wonderful for campers. A place to rent bikes to day trippers would be good too. How about renting fishing poles and selling bait? I know there's lots of free firewood on state land for the taking, but I bet campers would still buy firewood too, especially if they forgot their chainsaw! Razz

Another ambitious idea would be to get a glass bottom boat and take people on tours of shipwreaks. I've heard there's lots of them around the Island. I've also heard there's a natural reef near by, in that case scuba diving equipment rental would be a nice idea. A canoe rental place might be good. The possibilities are endless and they don't have to be intrusive. I'd like to see Bois Blanc stay as pristine as possible.

Let me know what you think. Have a great day and I'll try not to be such a stranger. Smile
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea . Things are starting to flow... Thanks Lynn.. Curt P and I talked about the North Shore camp sights last year.. Seems the State might be interested in doing a long term lease, if someone did a proposal... to do as you suggested

Uncle Steve
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: I wish we had Reply with quote

A couple of things . . . (1) For those of us without snowmobiles, a snowmobile cab service in the winter (!) or maybe a ride board where those without could pay those with for a ride. I know the snow bridge isn't up often or long, but if it was it would be nice to come up in the winter for a weekend. (2) The same sort of idea but with boat rides to Mackinac Island. As much as I like just hanging out on the Island, occasionaly it sounds good to head over to Mackinac for a dinner someone else makes or to let the kids ride around that island on bikes, etc. If you don't have a boat, its kind of tough to get over there.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie, I agree with most of what you said, but if you want it to be the way it was for your father, they had a minature golf course at the hotel. It wasn't full of huge plastic animals or windmills, it was just a simple course with obsticles and I think one had a loop that stood 2 ft high. They had shuffle board there too and I know a lot of people would use them. The community building used to be open 24/7 with free pool, ping-pong and a juke box. I love to be out in the woods or in the lake a majority of the time, but it was nice to meet friends and particapate in one of these activites too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Troy!
See Bruce! I am not the only pinhead! Razz
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome Lisa.
I think Rolling Eyes

Did you just call me a pinhead?
#Bad Talk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Troy....Bruce called me a pinhead for wanting a putt putt course, but I am NOT a pinhead.....just crazy..... #Silly
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like some of the ideas for activities on the island--community center with ping pong, horseback riding, etc. Heck, even a properly done mini-golf course that blended into the look of the Island wouldn't be all bad. Although my personal preference is to enjoy the peace, read, and generally take it easy, I think kids and others who might be here to visit would sometimes like a bit of activity. And if it is planned properly, it doesn't have to alter the character of the Island. Lets just make sure we forever outlaw those flourescent signs you see in Mackinaw City! But I don't think a little reasonably-priced fudge from the Murray Hotel is a bad idea--in fact, I think Sheila sells some fudge at the store, doesn't she?

A question for you relative old-timers: When I was on the Island in 1976 with a bunch of YMCA campers, I seem to remember that we stopped at a little store to buy some pop and candy. Would that have been at the current location of Sheila's store? Who would have run the store back then? Thanks.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been the same building (without all the fancy additions!). It was still a Texaco at that time, as I recall, but I don't know who operated it then. We stopped in occasionally. We used to store our pickup in the trees between there and Gibbons' house. I'd love to see some photos of the place from that era, it would bring back happy memories.

Dan
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are thinking of the Poor House, which was a gift shop/ antiques/ ice cream parlor/ hangout next to the Historical Society.. Maggie and Bill (known as Van) Vanhorn own it..
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we think a hotel like the old Pines one would be nice. Another place to eat would be nice also. We were regulars at the (island) Boat House restuarant when Kathy ran it.

I personally don't care for golf, but I realize that the younger ones would probably take advantage of a putt putt or pool table, etc.

Anyway, we like our island like it is and prefer not see it get commercialized. (wow, is that a word??)

(no pin heads here) Cool
Linda Kimball
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a car wash with a commercial vac for the inside/laundromat/pay shower place?

Island cars get to be a real mess, not everyone has laundry facilities, and the campers would probably love a shower occasionally.
islendbird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Birch Shop Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
islendbird

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: