Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

I'm not an islander yet, am I welcome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: I'm not an islander yet, am I welcome Reply with quote

Hi, I'm Dennis and I've always wanted to live on a island. I am working at the south pole is the island accessiable in late November early December
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis! Oh course you are welcome! And what and interesting place to be, the South Pole!! And Rapid City is just north of where I'm at, near Fife Lake... How did you end up in the South Pole? What do you find interesting about the Island? Susie
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to answer your question! If not a ferry or your own boat, then a plane.. In the winter, if you're lucky, a snowmobile on an ice bridge.. If the ferry can't run or the plane can't fly and there is no ice bridge, well, then you're stuck.. Hope it's stuck on the island! Very Happy
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

The bbi group seems so tight, so friendly. I've never be across but have wanted to, soon now. I know a little of Fife Lake the store with the great meat that's no more, I stopped at a pub for lunch while snowmobleing and a woman I worked with lives there Vicky Jasper. It looks like bbi is looking to grow a little, not to much I hope. Dennis
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dennis, welcome! I don't know how you handle the south pole, but it sounds really adventuristic. I read the story about Dr. Jerri Nielsen, the description of how brutal the cold can be down there is amazing. I am sure words cannot really describe how it really is though.

As far as coming to the island in Nov/Dec, we have been up to our place for Thanksgiving weekend the last 3 years. We left the island last year on Dec 2nd.

Hope you make the trip someday.

Stephen
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susie, Stephen, when I get home my plan is to try to visit I'd like to buy some land to put a little place on for a get-away. I won't always be in the cold I wouldn't mind some warmer temps, like 30 above would be nice. You adjust to the cold somewhat right now we're having record high temps at -43 and I wear my long underwear tessis shoes a polar fleese jacket and because I'm bald a hat. If I need to stay out for long periods I dress warmer but we've had -92 already and its ok if your prepared for it. The worst thing is the wind, you've heard about the 300 club, you don't run around naked outside if the wind is blowing somethings freeze fast. Don't believe every Doc Jerri says I'll tell you more when I meet you. I can download some pictures if you'll tell me how. Thanks Dennis
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOHHH Pictures! We love 'em! First, click on albums, if you want an album of your own, click on your personal gallery, then click on upload pic.. Your pics will have to be a max. of 800x800 pixels.. Do you have a photo editing program to do this? Upload pic will open up your files for browsing.. Click on the one you want. If you have problems we will be in chat at 9pm EDST, (You are probably sleeping then or something. Smile ) and we'll talk you through it..

How long are you going to be at the Pole? Tell us about your work? How did you hear about the Island? Can't wait to see pics.. Stay covered! LOL!
jeff
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: REALTOR ON ISLAND Reply with quote

Dennis (repeater),

Sheila Godbold is a Realtor on the island, as well. She has most of the properties listed and is the number one producing agent on the island. You can email her at bbire@nmo.net
or check out our web page at www.bbi-realestate.com. Please speak with her, also.

Thank you, Jeff
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, yes, I remember the part about the 300 club! Now that is CRAZY!!
Anyway, we would really like to see some pics from the bottom of the world. If you need any help, just yell.

Stephen
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try the pictures again, I need to compact a little and our computer guy said he'd help.
I'm at the pole until October 23 at the earliest, probably not until the first week in November as long as I'm not here for another birthday, Nov 13th. I should be off the ice untill Feburary when I head back for eight months this next time.
I love going to Mackinaw, as a kid my parents took me to Belle Isle and Grosse Isle. I have wanted to become an island dweller but my wife wouldn't hear of it, now I'm divorced and I've watched Bois Blanc from that other island. To be honest Real Estate is more affordable and the people more friendly than other islands. Don't jack up the prices just because I said that now, wait untill after I buy something.
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Susie you asked about my work. I'm a heavy mechanic, I work on bulldozers, fork loaders and cranes. This winter I'm the power plant mechanic I supply power, water and heat to the stations here at the pole. We have 5 diesel generators, we run one at a time, they have to be maintained. Two generators are for emergencys only. We make water with a rodwell, a 360' dome in the ice 250' down we swirl hot water in and pump out the cold water. For heat we use mostly waste heat from the engines run thru heat exchangers and two boilers to heat water and heat the station. I'm learning so much this year. When I worked in gas and oil I learned the engines but i have so much more to learn down here. Dennis
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you! My fondest memories of gas engines is sitting on the wheel well watching my brothers wrench on their car engines.. I bounced around over a detroit deisel for 5 years when I drove a cabover for Schnieder National.. Never felt like wrenchin myself though!! Very Happy

Can hardly wait to see the pics.......
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trucker eh. I worked a Detroit Diesel for 20 years then moved north and worked for Pool and Welltech on good ole Detroits
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the south pole pictures, kind of like an island!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing.... Check out the winter shots posted of the ice bridge.. Except for the cold I can imagine the space.. Usually a ferry is still running in Nov./Dec. Hunting season and all.. If you need a few good links just let us know.. You have probably found most by using your search already..

I don't drive anymore.. Had an injury, so I had to change professions.. Miss the money but I enjoy what I do now, which is photo technician.. I print the pics from your negs at the top photo/camara place in T.C. Not custom but we do our best to make your photo look it's best! I'm also learning a bunch about digital photography and editing with Adobe Photoshop 7.. Al's other sister, Lisa, got me into this.

Catch a chat sometime, if you can..
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dennis, awesome pics! I'm glad to see the NY Air Guard C-130 pic too. I am retiring from the Ohio Air Guard this month after being in for 21 years as a crew chief on A-7 & F-16 jets.

I hope to meet you someday, I would love to hear about the south pole. I understand that the cold can be very rough on equipment.

Susie, I have done some business with Schneider in the past, I sold them some roll off trailers. I visited the big facility in Green Bay a few years back.
And, I was an owner/operator many years ago (not with SNI) with over 15 years on the road. I got out do to back problems and now I sell trucks and trailers.

Stephen
Stephen & Lori Doughty
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I meant to mention that we are going to the island this Saturday for a few days. Cool This is our first trip this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: