Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

camping this summer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmm
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: camping this summer Reply with quote

Hi, all -

My wife and I are going camping the middle of July, and we were thinking about coming up to BBI for the first time. It sounds like a beautiful place.

We're "car campers" with a lot of gear, not so young any more but we can get around all right, and we really enjoy being in a secluded country spot. I understand that the north end of the island is "open camping" with no facilities. We're used to toilets and showers, but we figure that we'll be able to get by ok without them if necessary.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Is it reasonable situation to expect to camp on the state land without reservations or rangers?

Also, if anyone wanted to rent a little private land, on water if possible, we'd be willing to pay camping fees, but we're not really looking to rent a cabin.

We're really looking forward to coming up there. I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips.

Thanks very much to anyone in advance.

Best wishes,
Michael McClatchey
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Micheal and welcome! The north shore is popular in July and the best tip I could give you is to come before the weekend to make sure you get a spot.. You understand correctly that the camping is primitive.. With more shore showing with the water low you will probably see more sand but I would recommend water/wading shoes to protect your feet as it is rocky.. Enjoy your stay!
mmm
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: camping this summer Reply with quote

Thanks very much. We're looking forward to coming up.

We changed our travel plans to come up on Friday and beat the rush.
Thanks again for the tip!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, and welcome! I hope you'll enjoy BBI. If you stay on the north shore or on any undeveloped state land, be sure to bring plenty of water (I've used a big 7-gallon plastic jug, less than $10 at Kmart or Meijer). Good for washing up and cleaning cooking utensils. Also, invest in a bucksaw if you don't already have one; good for cutting firewood and less aggressive than an axe or chain saw (although those are useful too).

If you don't find a suitable place, you'd be welcome to stay at our little campsite. We have a 12x12 cabin there, but it's not much better than tent-camping so you might as well be outside. The main advantages are that the site has a well (hand-pump) and a cleared area with a fire pit. Only problem would be describing to you exactly where it is... Waaayyy back in the woods... The property is technically lakefront but the campsite is quite a distance from the lake.

I'll be there June 20-22. Hope you have a great time when you come!

Dan
mmm
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the hospitality! It would be great to get a guided tour. However, our daughter won a scholarship to Japan this summer (she's 17) and she's leaving on the morning of the 22nd. That will make it a little tricky to get up to the island and back all on that one day.

I don't mean to presume, but I would be happy to take the pump off the well head and bring it back if that's an option for you. I would have to imagine it's just a few bolts, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you think we'd be able to find the place on our own? We're fairly self-reliant, and we like being out in the country. If we can get our van on the two-track we should be able to get to it, I think. I'm sure we'd recognize it once we got there.

From your email address, I have to wonder if you work in computers? I'm a Web Producer for a public relations company with a "web team" of programmers, artists and producers.

Please feel free to call if you'd like, my work phone is 214-1550 x112; cell is 846-3772. I'll be out for a while around 10, but other than that I'll be around. My work environment is pretty casual, so don't worry about interrupting me or anything.

Best regards, and thanks very much again,
Michael McClatchey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: