Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Lake MAry Water Level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Lake MAry Water Level Reply with quote

Hi everyone! We had a crazy year, for those who remember my son started walking again and left that wheelchair, but PT prevented us from coming home to BBI until Labor Day. Much to my surprise our little Lake is draining out...it is down at least 6 feet, because it appears that the Beaver Dam system on the west end of Mary's Lake, that holds the water in the Lake is not being maintained by the beavers. No Joke! Our water is flowing out of the lake without the dams. Mad Does anyone know who took the beavers? They had to be trapped out. Is it possible to relocate beavers to the west end of the lake to hold the water in? Most of the lake depth is 5 feet or less. With a hard winter and thick ice that means a winter kill of the fish. This is serious. So much work has gone into trying to get a fishing dock back in and the water isn't even close to where the dock would be. If the fish die from winter kill...we won't need the dock, and we need to stop the flow of water. At this rate it will be a swamp hole in 2 to 3 years. Anyone friends with DNR? Please get involved with this one, we need beavers to maintain the Lake, and we have none.
Jeff White
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: water level Reply with quote

Hi Cindy, things do change but to know for sure you should call my brother Mike White on BBI because he is truely the smartest man that I know with the exception of my brother Alan. They both would know or have somewhat of an idea as to what is going on. Tell them to get on it. Of all the things I have read on this site this one takes the cake. Does this deserve some study? Nature first. JW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Lake Mary water level Reply with quote

What happened so fast?? - I was there around the 1st of October and it looked like it might be down about a foot - If it is 6 feet lower most of the bottom must be showing!
autumn
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: lake mary Reply with quote

has anyone confirmed the depth of lake mary?
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: LAke MAry Depth Reply with quote

Well I am just 5 feet tall and I could walk most of the way across the lake...if I watch for holes...but the canoe was the best gauge. Go down to the west end of the lake and the beavers are gone...and the dams are not being maintained and the water flows out. The old submerged rock beds that held dock for resort at turn of the century are a foot out of the water. I have only been up here off and on since I was 11, that would be 196? and I am slowly pushing the almost top of the hill mark. But seriously we have had this place since the late 80's and we have never experienced no beavers and this low of water. The wetlands in front of the house have no water, the south side the shore is 10 feet from where the shore has ever been. Please check... I don't want to come up next summer and see a very small version of the lake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: