Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Past island adventures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
backwoods mama
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Past island adventures Reply with quote

Hi, My name is Pat Thomas but in the old days it was Pat Stinson. My brother Bob just told me of this web site so I naturally had to respond. The island memories are by far the best time of my life. My family, Mom and siblings used to live in the cabin the Wickie Up. My family went to the island as soon as school was out and we returned to the Detroit area as soon as the new school year started. My Dad, Jim Stinson, had his own private plane and pilot and visited us on the weekends. We drove old cars, which people would just die for now, and we boated, we had a speed boat, canoe, we used to jump off the dock as soon as we got to our cabin and into our bathing suits and that cold water would take your breath away. I had my summer friends, like Fitz Meldrum, he was my summer love and our initials are still on the gazibo at the end of the Pointe Aux Pins area. Ellen Mc Afee was my best girl friend and I have sadly lost contact with all of these people. I did visit about 5 or 6 years ago and met Ray Plants son who runs the ferry. I currently live in California and will be visiting the island on June 11th. My mom is going with us, my brother Bob is also going with us. My Mom is 95 and very anxious to see the island. We had like I said the best time of our lives there and will never forget Bois Blanc Island, the ferry on Sunday to Cheboygan and gettting big Dairy Queens after the movie, gettting our groceries at the dock, no phones, running to the mail house to get our mail, sending birch bark letters to our friends, watching John Bible carve a potato in one piece and wondering if he was really from Chicago and a gangster. We used to go to the old abandoned lite house and tried to find the old indian burial grounds. Mickey Caulkins dad used to take us to Mackinaw Island at least once a season. I could go on and on but too many memories and not enough space. Hope someone who knew me will respond and would love to hear other memories....
mlamb
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: re: Past Island Adventures Reply with quote

Mick Caulkins is my uncle, and he took us to Mackinac Island every summer on the boat too (I say [i]took[/i] b/c I've had to miss the last few years, but I'll be back this summer and am hoping to go again!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: