Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

View from the other side of the Straights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bollweevils
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: View from the other side of the Straights Reply with quote

Hello Islanders.
My family has had a cottage across the straights from Boblo about 8 miles west of Cheboygan for a couple generations. I'm thirty now, but when I was a kid I used to always wonder what was going on on that island across from us. Mackinac was easy to figure out, but I always wondered about the people on Boblo--what they were doing, how often they got off the island, etc. I grilled my grandparents about it when they were alive; they claimed that they used to take the ferry over once a summer and have lunch and walk around. I spent hours staring through binoculars and telescopes hoping to see some action. All I could ever make out was a big flagpole and a little clearing by the water. It's always intrigued me.
Alas, now I live in Athens, Georgia, which is unbearably hot for six straight months. And my wife and I didn't get up north at all this summer and so here I am so homesick for those cool nights and buggy afternoons that I've resorted to an Internet vacation to your website.
So when you're eating your whitefish and having a drink looking out on the water tonight, think about this poor hot soul who's stuck down here and wishes he was on the straights looking back at you!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I am there I always think of all the unfortunate souls that can't be there.....Hope you can make it up to visit.....Lisa
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollweevils,

While the odds may appear astronomical anything is possible. Stranger things have happened! You write of a cottage eight miles west of Cheboygan. Our daughter, Monica and Scott, her husband, own a farm eight miles west of Cheboygan. They raise horses, Icelandic Sheep, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese and whatever may wander in! I'll ask if they've seen the remains of a cottage

In the meantime for whatever its worth, we residents of the island share your affection for all it represents. Some of us are working hard to maintain the rural characteristics you fondly remember.

Shelby of Insel Haus
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of it, you are nearly directly accross from my grandparent's cottage. That flag pole you speak of is just a few hundred yards away from the cottage. I hear you about missing the North. I haven't been up to the island in 2 years, and thats the first time in my life I have ever missed going to the Island 2 years in a row, and it kills me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: