Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Looking for Genealogy information (Surname - Gynac)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Looking for Genealogy information (Surname - Gynac) Reply with quote

Hello my name is Shawn Buck, I am very new to this site, so please forgive me for the things I do not know about Bois Blanc Island, but am very willing to learn. I have reason to believe that my Great Grandmother Anna (Gynac) Ellsworth live on BBI back in the late 1800's. Anna being 1 of five children to ( Phillip Gynac ) French Canadian and his wife may have been Ottowa, but i'm not real sure of my Great Great Grandmothers Native American Ancestors. Phillip Gynac may have been a mailman from Bois Isle to the mainland and he was presumed drowned. I'm sorry to say that is the only bit of information I have on my great great Grandparents who may have lived on BBI. I would like to say that this is the beginning of my search and any info would be helpful Laughing Yours truley SBuck

Last edited by sbuck on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Shawn,
I am not familiar with that name at all. My great great grandparents lived here and ran the lighthouse for a period of time, and I've heard many, many old time stories, but have never heard that name. Sorry I couldn't be of any help to you. There's only one member of this site that could possibly help you that I know of, and that's Mike White. You could contact him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

BoisBlancGirl,
Thank You so much for your reply. I was beginning to think nobody lived
out there on BBI. I'm sorry you couldn't help me out with my search Crying or Very sad sbuck Who Is Mike White ?
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Shawn, you do know there ia another Bois Blanc Island don't you.., Possibly you family was related to the other Bois Blanc located in SOUTH EASTERN Michigan in the waters between Canada and Detroit.. Good Luck...

Uncle Steve
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: THANK YOU FOR THE INFO Reply with quote

THANKS UNCLE STEVE,
I WILL CHECK ON THAT OTHER BBI IN THE CANADIAN WATERS, THE REASON I STARTED MY SEARCH AT BBI MICHIGAN , IS BECAUSE MY GREAT GRANDMOTHERS MARRIAGE RECORD (ANNA GYNAC) PUT HER RESIDENCE AS CHEBOYGAN COUNTY , BORNED IN MICHIGAN. BUT I WILL CHECK OUT THAT OTHER ISLAND , BECAUSE I'M NOT HAVING MUCH LUCK WITH BBI MICH. AT ALL THANKS AGAIN Wink SBUCK
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

send e-mail to mikewhite@juno.com. Mike is an unofficial Island historian and may be able to help you out.. Keep in mind that he is pretty busy right now with his work and illness in the family.. He probably doesn't check his email as often as we all do cuz it is a long distance connection for him.. Good luck with your search! Very Happy
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Hello Al's Sister Reply with quote

We're almost neighbors, I live just south of Manton, quite aways from Bois Blanc. Thanks for the email address, I will try to contact Mike White.
Smile sbuck
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbuck, we're not so far.. on the Manistee just up 66. My husband did the tile job in the Subway there in Manton. I ought to plan a get together with repeater and other members in NW Michigan. A canoe trip or something.. Very Happy

It's cool you are getting into the geneology.. My sister, Lisa, will be doing a presentation on photo restoration and tips with the Cadillac Geneology Society in a couple months.. I go with her to help answer questions and moral support.. Hope you can attend.. Watch out! Geneology is addictive! Wink
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: get together Reply with quote

Hi Susie hi Shawn, I'm game for a get together. Dennis aka. repeater
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't live in NW Michigan, can I still be invited to go canoeing? It appears that I might have next July free for fun after all. Even though I might be too busy with school, I still want to try to plan some adventurous stuff. I love to canoe. It has been a few years though. Anytime I can hang out with my aunts is guaranteed to be a good time.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me when you will be getting into town, Dennis, and we will take it from there... Shawn, Repeater and I were talking about a kayak trip when he got back from the South Pole.. I'll try to work on something.. There are others...

Lisa just informed me her presentation is for a church group not the geneology society...

And Lana.. We will plan a special trip just for you next July.. You deserve it.. Very Happy If you could get away in October??
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am game........
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Get together Reply with quote

Susie, I won't be back in Michigan till the first week in December. It may be to cold for some of you to take a long trip. It -69 here today
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be too cold for you... Very Happy You're used to it! See you in December then.. Will you be here long enough to see if an ice bridge makes this year?

I'll be working on a Fall trip anyway.. The ones interested, start tossin out suggestions.. I have a parking spot and a nice stretch of river.. Short trip, long or in between.. Only have 2 kayaks and a canoe though...
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: RIVER ADVENTURE Reply with quote

Sorry Gang !
I have to whimp out on ANY river runs, me and my hubby had bad experience on the manistee river a few years back , still scared to try canoeing again Embarassed or any other river sports Crying or Very sad
chicken sbuck
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Back to the Gynac Family Reply with quote

Thanks to Eveyone who has replyed Very Happy
I'm still searching for my great grandmother's (Gynac) family history.
FIVE children in this family, Anna , Grace, Henry, Joe, And Arnold.
In my search I have found the name Gynac spelled different ways,
Genac, Gygnac, Gignac, Gernac, Geynac, Ginac, and maybe more!
So , if anyone has any info on these names that sound like Gynac, It might be helpful in my search, Confused I have also found the surname Gynac from the Cheboygan area , down by Bay City , county area.
And my resent finding is, Henry Gynac was married to Ethel Rose (wolf) Gynac. After Ethel died , her three children were left with Harvey and Mary (Wolf) Jewell. This was told to me by the caretaker of the Pine Hill Cemetery in Cheboygan.
Maybe someone remembers something about Henry Gynac , That could help me find His Mother Question Who once lived on BBI .
Thanks Again Shawn Buck

Last edited by sbuck on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: DOES ANYONE KNOW THE HISTOY OF THE POSTMASTER'S OF BBI ???? Reply with quote

HELLO ITS BEEN AWHILE Confused
YES I'M STILL LOOKING FOR INFO ON THE GYNAC FAMILY Exclamation
IT WAS SAID THAT PHILLIP GYNAC WAS A POSTAL CARRIER , MAYBE THERE IS A PAPER TRAIL I COULD FOLLOW Question
THANKS SMB
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susie, Please post info on Al's paper on postal info...this may be helpful.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I left the info with Pattie to read.. I'll email her.. Does anyone else have a copy of the Brief History written by Al?
Billie_Jo
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: My Island relatives Reply with quote

Hey all..posted a bit last summer/fall. Still looking for any Canfield/Babcock info anyone may have. I received 2 death certificates that I really needed..THANK YOU Cindi if you read this. I put the darn things up and can't find them but luckily I planted the info into my tree maker program.

Anyhow...buzz me back anyone if you know anything else. I'm hoping to get a taste of island life this summer. I'm in need of a hernia operation but trying to put it off till fall so I can do my summer genealogy thing.

Thanks again everyone.

Billie_Jo
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Billie Jo! Don't know if you caught this picture that was posted.. Here's a link.. My mother and Beatrice Canfield when they were babies.. My mom thought you may enjoy it.. Very Happy

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1052
whitewater960
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'll keep an eye out for that paper. It's gotta be here somewhere. Have to admit I am not one of organization.

You better watch out who you invite on that canoe trip Sue. You don't want another John and Sherry on your hands...
Oh I forgot, you would just end up high tailing it outta there anyways. Slap
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HELLO ITS BEEN AWHILE
YES I'M STILL LOOKING FOR INFO ON THE GYNAC FAMILY
IT WAS SAID THAT PHILLIP GYNAC WAS A POSTAL CARRIER , MAYBE THERE IS A PAPER TRAIL I COULD FOLLOW
THANKS SMB

Are you working through ancestry.com? Amazing resource!

My fathers side of the family is all French Canadian. I am familiar with spelling variations, trust me on that. Best sources I have come up with are church birth, baptism and marriage records... census records helpful too but that is where the spelling errors are usually found.

Good luck on your mission!

C
yooper lynn
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: THANK YOU FOR THE INFO Reply with quote

sbuck wrote:
THANKS UNCLE STEVE,
I WILL CHECK ON THAT OTHER BBI IN THE CANADIAN WATERS, THE REASON I STARTED MY SEARCH AT BBI MICHIGAN , IS BECAUSE MY GREAT GRANDMOTHERS MARRIAGE RECORD (ANNA GYNAC) PUT HER RESIDENCE AS CHEBOYGAN COUNTY , BORNED IN MICHIGAN. BUT I WILL CHECK OUT THAT OTHER ISLAND , BECAUSE I'M NOT HAVING MUCH LUCK WITH BBI MICH. AT ALL THANKS AGAIN Wink SBUCK

BBI is part of Macinaw County, not Cheboygan
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Search for Gynac Reply with quote

I just read through "A Brief History of Michigan, Bois Blanc Island and the Island Postal Service" by Alan White. It doesn't mention the name "Gynac".

I also looked through "the Bois Blanc Island Land Patent Database" which I have compiled and could not find that name.

You mentioned "Jewel". I would suggest that you contact Everett "Biff" Jewel that has the McRae-Kerr family history on this site. He lives in Cheboygan, 231-627-2001. If anyone would know anything, it would be him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: