Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Air Port
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sissy
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Air Port Reply with quote

What do you think about the work that has been going on at the end of the run way the past few weeks? Most of the trees have been pulled out and they are bringing in sand etc. to make it level, etc. I'm not so sure I'm for the idea of expanding it-but it looks as if many are. What are your thoughts?? Rolling Eyes
islendbird

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a step in the right direction. Modernizing and expanding the field will make the Island a safer place to be during all seasons. My sense is that no one plans to turn it into O'Hare overnight, so hopefully the environs will be largely unaffected.

I have always wanted to arrive on the Island by plane. Seeing the approach would be fascinating, both during the day and at night. Does the Township still offer year-round parking at the landing field lot?

Dan
Sissy
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, I am for safety also. My brother flyes into the Island as well and he says he really like the grass run way much better. He was just wondering how many bigger jets will stop by. As for parking, I'm not sure about that.
islendbird

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by islendbird on Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Coombs
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Airport Expansion Reply with quote

I occasionally fly and use the Boblo Airport. I love grass runways. It reminds me of grass roots type flying. But I am in favor of the changes. A longer asphalt runway will allow larger aircraft for emergency medical evacuations of residents and visitors.

The longer runway enhances safety for other aircraft especially on hot days when an aircraft is close to its maximum take off weight.

Happy trails to all!

Scoombs@riskresources.net
Office: 630-617-5229
Fax: 630-617-5128
jeff
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavement on runway is something that has been needed for long time, so many times in the spring of the year the airport is closed due to a muddy runway, thank god we never had a real emergency that we had to get off at this time of year.
miljnor
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Airport/Safety Reply with quote

Does the Island have the money needed to pave and maintain the runway? Is there a working Mutual Aid Contract with the local air medical service? Does the Air Service have GPS coords. for various areas on the island besides the airport?
Just curious...
CSD
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for the idea of adding to the safety of the runway for the pilots. I've always thought about what it would be like to land there at night and have a deer grazing in the middle of the runway while you are trying to land. What do you do when this happens? The only thing I would worry about with the new strip would be would it open a pathway for some guy like Tom Monoghan (sp.?) to make the island his personal playground and try to use his money to make changes to the island? I think most people on here like the island for what it is....not for what it potentially could be. Maybe I'm getting old and with age, becoming less of a fan of change, but the island is really one place in the world that I never want to see change.
leebird
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's gonna change, whether we want it to or not!! And yes, there is year round parking at the airport. You have to purchase a parking permit from the township.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airport expansion or improvement means more people more development .Be carefull what you wish for you just might get it. Just ask the people of beaver island after the new bigger ferry boat came along. Question
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well let's see,..........wine country,.....

if you happenned to be the major medical emergency,
that happenned when the ferry's weren't running,
and the ice bridge wasn't in place,
and the runways were too muddy to allow take off and landings,......

would you then think airport expansion would have been a good idea?

or would you just die,.......

hoverusa
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, hoverusa, lets not get too carried away with the dying end of things...but this IS an aviation related matter which means I'm going to throw in my two cents. Being a self proclaimed (and self venerating) expert on all things aviation, I would have to say that a paved runway isn't necessarily a bad idea. Everyone gets a thrill from landing at a new airport, but a marginal amount of the people who are flying around Lear 23's, Beech Baron's, or even Mooney Bravo's aren't the type that are going to want to stick around a place without a country club. Personally, I don't foresee some massive influx of people wishing to build million dollar homes simply because we pave a runway. Pilots pass on exciting destinations by word of mouth, and while I love the island just as much as everyone else on this site, I don't think someone who flies in thier Piper Meridian or Cessna 441 is going to say "Hey, you should check out Bois Blanc Island, where you have to walk 2.6 miles for food and other than the beach, there is no real tourist attraction to speak of." but that's just my humble opinion.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY WELL PUT!! I think we need it too, and anyone who dosen't live here full time, wouldn't understand why I think we do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've heard too many people say they don't think the island needs it. I think it would be great as well in terms of making the island a safer place for the residents and cabin owners....I'm just saying that it could open the door for some other things that people would probably not like. I think pilotkid is correct in that the likelihood of a guy landing here and then deciding to build his huge house and playground is quite small. I'm just mentioning that something like this could happen. Although I do not live on the island year around; I do believe I have the capabilities to understand how boisblancgirl feels.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've said it before, and will say it again... This Island has a way of protecting itself. It seems that, no matter what happens in the world, it always manages to reclaim itself and fend off (most) unwanted influence.

I have been coming to BBI for more than 30 years... Not as long as some of you, but long enough to see how many attempted changes just plain can't take root. There was a time, in these past 30 years, when you could've had a sit-down meal in any one of four different establishments - all on the Island at once. There was a time you could've bought gas in at least two, maybe three, places. Long before my time, during the logging days, there were even multiple Island schools!

But in spite of those seemingly unstoppable expansions, guess what... It's 2004, and we are back to the way it was when my family first visited in 1972 - one restaurant, one gas station, one store. Furthermore, all three of those are now housed in a single building, rather than spread across the Island!

I'm not saying the Island doesn't or won't change. It does, and will. But if the last 30 years are any indication, I expect to get off the boat 30 years from now and see a lot of familiar sights. Wink

Just my couple of pennies.
Dan
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree ... I am glad for the lack of expansion or development. At the same time realizing that some well thought out development would benefit the Island residents and help facilitate economical improvement for the business already in place as well as for the residents needs for future business. I would love to see more families with school age kids living year round on the Island so that the one school left could survive.. I'm glad that the airport improvements will offer safer and easier access. Opening the Island up more to it's potential... Very Happy
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some summer people won't appreciate it at all *not a dig at those who aren't absolutely for it* but considering it is usually them (and even more so, they're kids) that get hurt the worst, seems like it benefits those who arent around all year most
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not trying to upset the applecart as far as the airport runway goes. I am only quetioning the decision. I am not a flyer, but a ferry goer. The island is great treasure and deserves to be watched closely!
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Airport Reply with quote

I don't live on the island, but visit several times a year and loved seeing it the way it was and not the way it could be - That has always been what brings me back - I do think a safer airport is probably OK if it don't promote too much growth. I would hate to see the island open up to it's potential! Soon you would be able to smell the odor of flowers and horse ****!!!!!!!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: as Reply with quote

As long as they can still land with ski's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, the odors of flowers not bad but would not want to be down wind of the horses. Smell that is... Rolling Eyes
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it depends on if you are a horse lover or not.. I love em.. And think everything about them smell great!! Very Happy You naysayers can worry and fret all you want.. I believe the year rounders have it well in hand and always act in the Island residents best interest..
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If most of the people that just come here for a few weeks or months of the year, lived here year round, they would see what it's like being "stranded" on the island when spring break-up is here, and if they had a medical emergency during that time, they would wish we had a paved airstrip. I think alot of you are worrying about nothing!!! I for one, a year rounder for 50 years, am very, very excited about the paving, and will have a much more feeling of security when it's finished. I've said this before, and I'm going to say it again. YOU CAN'T STOP PROGRESS!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: