Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Island Jam 05
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I was around the Island at that time, I never had the privilege of visiting the Community Building or hearing what was on the jukebox. However, this gives me another idea, since there are some great songs on this list...

What about getting some live music together on the Island next summer? I'm an acoustic guitarist and already sing/play several of the songs on that list. (I do know a ton of Gordon Lightfoot, including all 6 1/2 minutes of the Fitzgerald... LOL.) I know there are some other musicians on the bulletin board, and it would be fun to have an Island jam with you all. Or if you just like to sing along, that would be great too.

What do you all think, would this be fun? Any thoughts on a venue, i.e., would the Community Building be appropriate? Or should we pry the bar open for a night? Very Happy

We can call it "Island Jam '05", and do it sometime in mid-summer... Now's the time to plan. I play dozens of tunes from the '60s and '70s; it would be neat to get together with you all and resurrect the jukebox "live"!

Dan
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun to me! With a few of these Beer! Beer! Beer! I might even sing along. Laughing
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Island Jam Reply with quote

Sounds like a riot - We normally have one the 1st weekend in October at someones cabin - but a summer one would be fun - I think I am coming up in the later part of August - I play Bass, Lead and Pedal Steel guitar.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such an excellent idea. I had to make it a new topic and get it on top.. I'm with Rob.. Get a few brews in me and I may surprise ya! Very Happy
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that sounds great... and I'll buy the first Beer! to grease your vocal chords. Wink

So where would be best, and when? I am tentatively planning to be on the Island the week after the 4th of July, but could adjust my plans to include the 4th weekend or whatever works for our other players/singers.

Here are a few of the songs I play. If you have other "jukebox" memories I can learn to play those, too (plenty of time to practice, LOL). I can forward lyrics to anyone who wants them. Or, you can also make up your own Island-related lyrics just for fun. Very Happy

American Pie – Don McLean
Amie – Pure Prairie League
And it Stoned Me – Van Morrison
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown – Jim Croce
Ballad of Yarmouth Castle - Gordon Lightfoot
Brian Wilson – BareNaked Ladies
Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
Bus Stop – The Hollies
Carolina in my Mind – James Taylor
Cat’s in the Cradle – Harry Chapin
Cecilia – Simon & Garfunkel
City of New Orleans – Arlo Guthrie
Country Road – James Taylor
Country Roads - John Denver
Dock of the Bay – Otis Redding
Don Quixote – Gordon Lightfoot
Don’t Go Back to Rockville – R.E.M.
Driver 8 – R.E.M.
Father & Son – Cat Stevens
Fire & Rain – James Taylor
Follow Me – Uncle Kracker
Greyhound - Harry Chapin
Here Comes the Sun – Beatles
Homeward Bound – Simon & Garfunkel
I’m a Believer – Monkees
I’ve Just Seen a Face – Beatles
If I Had $1,000,000 – BareNaked Ladies
If You Could Read My Mind – Gordon Lightfoot
Into the Mystic – Van Morrison
It Never Rains in Southern California – Albert Hammond
Little Bit Me, Little Bit You – Monkees
Lonely People – America
Margaritaville – Jimmy Buffett
Marie Christine - Gordon Lightfoot
Me & Julio Down by the Schoolyard – Paul Simon
Mexico – James Taylor
Mister Spaceman – The Byrds
Mrs. Robinson – Simon & Garfunkel
Norwegian Wood – Beatles
Old Apartment – BareNaked Ladies
Old Man – Neil Young
One Less Set of Footsteps – Jim Croce
Operator – Jim Croce
Photographs and Memories – Jim Croce
Pirate Looks at 40 – Jimmy Buffett
Red Rubber Ball – The Cyrkle
Rocky Mountain High - John Denver
Roller Derby Queen – Jim Croce
Runaway – Del Shannon
Secret Agent Man – Johnny Rivers
Shame On You – Indigo Girls
Sister Golden Hair – America
Slip Slidin’ Away – Paul Simon
Solitary Man – Neil Diamond
Something in the Way She Moves – James Taylor
Son of a Son of a Sailor – Jimmy Buffett
Song for a Winter’s Night – Gordon Lightfoot
Space Oddity – David Bowie
Story In Your Eyes – Moody Blues
Tequila Sunrise – Eagles
The Boxer – Simon & Garfunkel
The Way – Fastball
To Love Somebody – Bee Gees
Wake Up Little Susie – Everly Brothers
Wild World – Cat Stevens
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
You Don’t Know How it Feels – Tom Petty
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - Beatles
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Island Jam Reply with quote

Ron Petersen wrote:
I think I am coming up in the later part of August - I play Bass, Lead and Pedal Steel guitar.

Forgot to mention, I mainly play acoustic guitar, fingerpicking and rhythm, so bass/lead/pedal steel would be cool. I can throw in a tiny bit of harmonica as well, and I have a foot-pedal tambourine (for those lonely days without a percussion section... Wink Maybe we can convince someone to play tambourine instead of me).

And August is a definite possibility as well, depending on everyone else's schedule. Ron, I am looking forward to hearing you play!

Dan
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 'Cousin' Dan. I think that is a great idea. I play a weak guitar but like to sing harmony. By the way, did you know that my mother and aunt (who would be, I think, your grandmother's first cousins) were identical twin sisters who sang professionally in Chicago in the 1950's. And my grandfather (your great-grandmother's brother-in-law) was a professional musician in NYC. So I think that musical talent of yours must run in the family. I look forward to the jamboree.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 'Cousin' Doug, Laughing

I was thinking you might have an ear for harmony... Music definitely came from my Mom's side of the family. I didn't know the sisters sang professionally, although I think I did know they were entertainers of some sort. Also didn't know about your grandfather - that's interesting. My grandfather (Mom's dad) and his brothers played instruments; he played violin, they played guitar and banjo and who-knows-what. They didn't do it professionally, just for fun in Fennville on an occasional Friday night.

My Dad was not musically inclined - he had an old guitar (which I still have) and could play about three chords. Problem was, he had no sense of rhythm whatsoever. Ever hear "Red River Valley" with a 27/4 beat? Wink

I look forward to meeting you at the jam, if not sooner!
Dan
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate Looks at Forty, is my favorite Jimmy Buffet song. Although, Far Side Of The World, is coming very close to it. I think you would need trumpets and steel drums for that one though. Great list Dan!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter Kalyn plays the snare drum and the bass drum, but she is only 12, and cannot drink beer. We do plan on a trip to BBI this summer though. We will certainly stop in to enjoy the music and the fun if we happen to be there when this ho-down happens.
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bump for the thread in hopes that it doesn't get trampled down by all the excitement generated by the parade. Very Happy
RSears75
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Songs to Play Reply with quote

How about some Johnny Cash?
-I walk the line.
-Boy Named Sue
..theres hundreds that would do.
RSears75
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Johnny Cash Reply with quote

Idea Heres a link to the lyrics from most of his popular songs.
http://www.toptown.com/hp/66/jclyrics.htm
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother Al knows alot of Cash songs and loves to Jam and have people sing...he's trying to get us to do it all the time!
RSears75
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can belt out "Boy Named Sue" like no man should! Laughing
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids heard that song for the first time this summer and laughed so hard! I hadn't heard it in a while so was pretty funny!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSears75 wrote:
I can belt out "Boy Named Sue" like no man should! Laughing

LOL... I look forward to hearing it... I think... #Crazy

This should be fun. We still need to talk about where, when, etc. and I'm hoping someone (with more Island connections than me) can help. Is the Community Center a possibility for the jam? Is bringing a modest quantity of Beer! Beer! a problem, or should we consider other locations?

I am envisioning this as an evening event, say, maybe 7:30 'til whenever. Any other thoughts, suggestions, ideas are greatly appreciated!

Dan
islendbird

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be fun... but I was actually thinking of running this through my speakers, so we'd need some kind of power source. I have an eight-channel mixer, so we could have as many as four vocals with four instruments. Or, six vocals with two instruments. Or something like that. I have only two mics, but maybe some other folks can scrounge up extras.

Always happy to bring the guitar to a beach campfire, though, for an "informal" sing-along. Wink

Dan
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for the website .. !! its great !!

Hope all of you can make this work ... sounds like a real good time ..

Susie .... Lisa and Peggy .. you should be singing with your brother .. !! sounds like fun to me .... I bet you girls would get to laughing so hard you might pee your pants !! lol wish I could be there !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there electricity available at the parking lot/boat launch area? I was thinking of the bathrooms being available! It is on the water Smile I sing harmony, 2nd alto. Pick a time...actually we'll be in the Florida Keys the first weeks or so in August doing a high adventure camp with a group of boy scouts. While Gary snorkels, dives, fishes and sleeps out on a boat, the other mom's and I will do our best in Key West! So July 4th is better for us.
kimi
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about seeing if somme one would let there hanger be used Question
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Hello from Rudy Reply with quote

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I've been on or posted! Busy, busy, which is a good thing to be this time of year! Makes the late yuk season of winter go faster.... I'm so tired of mud! Here in WV there are signs of spring though. Crocus blooming, saw some dandolions and those ugly robins.... who in the world decided they should be Michigan's state bird? I'd rather it be the woodcock, at least there'd be some humor in it. Speaking of birds..... is this "Island Jam 05" going to happen? If so, when? I'm looking forward to it! I'd like to make plans to be on the Island. I might even be able to bring a musician or two along!
Vernal Equinox in 20 days!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote

I hope everyone can get this together ..Sounds like a riot to me !!

I am not sure if/when I will be there this summer ....

Enjoyed your site rudy ... and I like to hear what you share about your corner of the world ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "when" and "where" have yet to be determined. I'm still hoping someone on the Island (someone who can be there more than I) will volunteer to arrange a place and time. I thought the Community Building might be a possibility, since the old jukebox is what got this idea started in the first place. But I wouldn't know who to call, what the protocol is, etc. if we wanted to reserve a night.

Other possibilities... Someone's private cabin/home, or Hawk's, or we break the bar open and do it like I remember in the old days. Wink I must admit, the presence of modest and responsibly-consumed quantities of Beer! is part of the attraction! But either way, I'm there. I envision it being during the summer months so we can have all the windows open, get everyone laughing/dancing/etc.

I'm good for a guitar, a mic, stands, etc. and can bring my speakers and my 8-channel mixer if we have enough musicians. It's on! Can't wait to see everyone there.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: