Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

"ONTOIT"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: "ONTOIT"? Reply with quote

OK Folks,

Here is some mindless drivel for your consideration, inspection and feedback.

Over the past few years, I have heard the word/term “ONTOIT” frequently used around Northern Michigan, by maybe half a dozen individuals. Most recently, this past Sunday, in the BP gas station in Afton regarding a snow blower belt. (which needed a new belt put ontoit)

I looked in the Webster Dictionary and found “onto” and “on-to” but no “ontoit” (my spellchecker doesn’t like it, either) I am wondering if this term is a local colloquium or perhaps some Finnish derived U.P. ism which has migrated south. Or just bad grammar?

I take it to mean something has been installed or attached to something else. (As in) “I have an old boat motor and I put a new propeller ONTOIT” (or) “On the south side of my house, I put a porch ontoit.” (or) Hook that trailer ontoit”.

So I am consulting with those on the BBI website and putting the ontoit question, ONTOIT?

Has anyone but me ever heard this term used?

This meaty question is beginning to cause me concern and loss of sleep. When I feel tired and walk into my bedroom at night and look at my bed and want to get ontoit, I do… then lay there all night pondering this quandary “something just ain’t right… did I just go ontoit or intoit”. And thus begins another angst filled night.

The scarier part is that I even caught myself using “ontoit“. I would guess this word was invented by Mel Snarf of Ishpeming back around 1942... And it slowly but surely caught on(toit)?

It has been a slow morning.
Conis

Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Michabillie speak. The ability to abbreviate sentences by slurring together the short words.. Like "a lot of". I always thought it was one word until recently! Shocked ex: I have alotof wood stacked up. But need to git more stacked ontoit! It came from the lumberjacks and farmers who cut down and built up the area. They didn't have time for long conversation and kept things brief and to the point. Just my humble opinion... Laughing
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: More new words. Reply with quote

See. I am learning more new words all the time. Alotof ontoits.

Michibillie? I love that one. There must be alotof Michibillies floating around out there and might be oneathem having lived in Michigans "rurals" for over 30 years. Give me a town with a "tucky" appended ontoit and Im in hog heaven. At least one knows what to expect and it aint necessarily bad.

Ontoit just stuck me as "odd" especially since I never hear it except around the straits. I am sure there are other words that we hear all the time and just take as every day Michigan speech.

I don't believe a soft drink is called POP anywhere except Michigan. On the rest of the planet it is a SODA. I recall a friend from New Jersey visiting and when I referenced a "pop machine", he had no clue as to what I meant.

Anyone else out there know of any unique Michigan-isms?

Conis, the Michibillie.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mom just spent too many hours on a 400 page book full of old letters among family members and friends. She had it printed and bound for a legacy for her kids.. She is also looking forward to the printing of her second volume loaded with stories we have heard often 'round the kitchen table.. Very Happy I'm looking forward to reading thru our history and watching for those fun words we use in our speech everyday.

I had to have inherited this style and accent.. My husband loves to correct my grammer, but over the years he's come around to it and has picked up a few too! Thing is he was raised in Northern Lower like me. A more book educated environment than me, different types of farmers. It's interesting how different areas pick up each others mannerisms. To embrace another family, community, culture.. I didn't use the "Hey" for a greeting 'til I lived further north because I heard it more frequently. Now I can't imagine not. Donchaluvit? Cool
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the one that keeps me up at night is "DUD'NIT". As in, "Whoa, this chain saw need the chain sharpened, dud'nit?" Or, "Dud'nit go on this way?"

Related to this colloquialism is "ID'NIT". As in, "Lookit that pickup truck with the brush guard stuck ontoit. Id'nit purty?"

Laughing Dan
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: More new words. Reply with quote

Conis wrote:
I don't believe a soft drink is called POP anywhere except Michigan. On the rest of the planet it is a SODA. I recall a friend from New Jersey visiting and when I referenced a "pop machine", he had no clue as to what I meant.

they call it pop in "Napoleon Dynamite"...and they are in Idaho...has anyone seen it?
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the states in the South call POP SODA. To me SODA is a drink for a bloated tummy. Laughing I wonder how we would all do in a real spelling test Question Confused
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Pop and Soda ontoit Reply with quote

Could be.

I think SODA is more of an eastern/southern term or something. POP more midwestern? I have no idea of where this boundary is except that those from New Jersey call it SODA.

Maybe it has something to do with the Mason/Dixon line, The Great Divide or something?

If you really want to bend the terms, cross into Canada at the Sault where "American" comes up against "English" and "French" I think it is POP in the Can. Sault because I have a friend who sells POP there. Thats what he calls it.

You know that galvanized metal strapping that comes on a coil with the holes in it? Generically called "plumbers strap" here in the states because it is used for hanging pipes etc. In Canada, it is called "All Around".. Some friends who are into installing gas heaters went to a seminar on the subject in Ontario. After hearing the ALL AROUND term 4-5 times one raised their hand and ????? is "all around". The guy directing the seminar didn't know what else to call it and had to go get some and show them... "OH... you meant PLUMBERS' STRAP".

So, I think what the Candian Semininar Host really meant was to put sumdat all-around ontoit, eh?

Conis

PS I am 50% French Canadian although Michigan Born. I travel to Canada once-twice/year. Over there they speak "Canadian" which to me is absolutely distinct variation of "English" as compared to the USA dialects. The differences between US and Can Sault and Detroit/Windsor, in culture and dialect are amazing. With only a bridge between the cultures.

Quebec is really a trip. (and I don't mean this in a negative way). So profoundly different. Save this subject for another time.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haved lived all over the country and there is no clear boundry as to where you call it soda or pop. In fact I was in Oklahoma yesterday and they called it pop, but here in Texas and in Colorado they call it soda. In some southern states they call it Coke, no matter what you are having. If you would like a orange crush for instance, someone asks what you would like to drink and you say a coke, then they would ask what kind and you would say orange. Brand association I guess, like kleenex for any kind of tissue.

Oh, and down here we say "hodeedoe". This is used when you are running for the elevator door, train or any other time you would like someone to keep a door from closing before you can get there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy wrote:
Oh, and down here we say "hodeedoe". This is used when you are running for the elevator door, train or any other time you would like someone to keep a door from closing before you can get there.

LOL

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resturant in Arkansas...waitress asked what kind of coke I wanted.....I was thinking...all they had was coke products? regular, diet, etc?

When I lived in Texas I would say "you guys" ex: Hey, what you guys doing? They would know immediately I was not from around them there parts.
I eventually caught on to "ya'll" and brought it back with me to Michigan. Where I was teased insesently til I was back to 'you guys '. My husband says in New Jersey it is "Youse guys". My Mom would laugh cause I would yell for the kids to come in for supper and say something like:
Ya'll come in and git sumthin to et right know!

Ask Susie......she knows and was one of the teasers...........LOL!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie, that kitty looks just like my kitty!
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Thats good Lisa. Ya'll is more correct I think, I always feel ackward when I say you guys when there are ladies in the room. Here is something to pounder, a lot of people say "all ya'll". Isn't ya'll plural to start with? At what number of people do you draw the line between ya'll and all ya'll?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: youwansummadis? Reply with quote

Ok Folks…

I LOVE to tell stories. I know this isn't about BBI, but it is sort of about The Straits area and it's "isms". Indian River, close enough...

Sitting around thinking of the first time I had ever heard ONTOIT (where this thread started from). And remembered the close cousin of ONTOIT, called ONTODA.

Before this story, a disclaimer: I am not out to malign or endorse anything. This is just a verbatim occurrance in fact.

I grew up in an era when one didn’t go into a local/cheesy/provincial bar without the expectation of a challenge. Get beat up or be tough enough to stand off challengers on their own turf.. Or have enough buds along to incur safety in numbers. And that’s how it used to be… and in some places, still is… Old school…

Story Preface:

Anyone heading for BBI probably gets off at I.R. (Indian River) exit 310 and heads north on old 27. I.R is and has been home base for me for 35 years. Some of you may or may not be familiar with the PINEHURST BAR (aka “The Pinie”). Some of you may have had Pinie Pizza?

The Pinie is still a great old “up north” bar. But also sort of become a self contained ghetto. It used to be an elegant place on the Indian River where one would don a suit/tie and go eat and/or spend the night in “luxury” accommodations.

Over the last fifty years, it is sort of been “kept going”… fixed up some and maintained to minimum health/safety code standards. Well… the Pinie has sort of skated by and evolved into a biker bar and “welfare apartment complex”, but has huge history and is a huge party spot. They have great pizza but I think calling the clientele "low budget", would be within the realm of safe…

Twice a summer, the Pinie has summer blowouts, one of which is on July 4. Pay $5.00 at the door for cheap beer, live band and watch the floor and walls go up/ down, in/out by a foot. They pack the place to standing room only. I have had some great fun in the Pinie, in the summers. Party down and whatever happens… happens. No one holds back. It is summer time in I.R.

This would be the summer of 1999. I owned a place in I.R. a block from The Pinie, It was July 4 and we had friends up, one of which was a 30 year bud “Keith”. Keith is a principal in the Big Rapids school system and can/will talk to anyone about anything. He likes to “interview” people… and will get right to the core of any/all.

So the story begins here:

Late in the evening on July 4, '99, sitting around on the patio in the back yard and hear the Pinie rocking-rolling. Lets go over and check this out. So we walk over to the Pinie. We get over there and it is maxed out to 150% of capacity… wall to wall and pulsating.

By the gate stands this sullen-forlorn looking guy in his 20’s. Kind of a brush-nazi-greasy haircut, missing two front teeth . Black sweatshirt with holes, sleeves cut off at the shoulders to show off his (impressive) biceps, shorts and BLACK army boots.(Get the image?) Mr. Bad-Boy…

(To shorten this epic, this guy had been thrown out the night before for fighting and barred from coming back). So there he stands, impatient, anxious and obviously P.O.ed… all by himself.)

So Keith takes interest and begins his query. “’S’up, Bud?” (And here come the “isms”)

Responding, “Yaknow, I am Golden Gloves (Boxing). I come in here last night and there’s my girlfriend's sucking face with (victims-name?) and I didn’t say nuthing and just walked out here and waited for (V‘s-name). And when he come out, I told him… youwansummadis an sucker punched him back tenfeet. Seedat car over der? I put his head right ontoda bumper and he was outcold. And I am really gonna do him tonight.”

(OK. I am thinking to myself… “This guy is really a piece of work. Fringing on a potential manslaughter charge and he won’t call it quits after he proved his “point”. This isn’t 1963 is it?)

Anyway, it isn’t about this bozo’s actions so much as his verbage. “Mr. Golden Gloves…” This story has been told, who-knows how many times? For the rest of that summer, Youwansummadis” was the response to anything questionable. And this story is still in circulation mostly because it is a picture postcard of “The Pinie” in all of it‘s backward glory. Unless you knew the Pinie and it’s unique “patrons“, this tale wouldn’t hit home. Maybe you would have to know the place and have been there. I have been there.

As a tribute to this story, I made a custom wall clock for another good IR friend/life time resident. Sort of a quasi advertising clock with the title “The Fat Lip Inn” with a picture of the Pinehurst Bar and under the hands… “YOUWANSUMMADIS?”

All I got to say is TRUE STORY. And if you don’t agree, or find me sucking face with your girlfriend, then I guess I have to wait for you in the parking lot and your head will go ontoda truck bumper? ( And I hope you know I am kidding and just telling it like I heard it!).

These sort of events are among those which really help gain perspective. Hope you liked it.

Long-Live the Pinie. The most un PC, down and dirty bar in Northern Michigan. There is never a dull moment at the PINIE! Let’s rock, ontoit!

CONIS

Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this one? "Down Yonder a Piece" This is another good old way of speaking in the south.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, I believe that "Ya'll" can refer to just 1 person or any number of people.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and "you guys" does refer to men and women in mixed company.....LOL!
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I have done lots of boating on the rivers in NM...and through the chain of lakes. The "Pinie" was always on the list, to and from the destination. Lots of beers and laughs in the 80's. Never heard anyone say anything interesting but saw a few fights and some IR locals engaging in behaviors that were unlike any seen in the establishments in Petoskey where I lived. Wish I had a good story to tell about it, other that me falling off my boat in front of the bar...on the way back from the North Channel...too much beer and sun???

For sure.
Cool
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis - cool story about the Pinie. In all my years of going to BBI I've never been there - I exit 75 at #313, right by Johnson's Motel, to get to M27. So, I've probably missed it. I will definitely have to check it out, sounds like my kind of people. Wink

I had an interesting experience at the junkyard right there off exit #313. As you may or may not know, I'm restoring a '64 Ford pickup and own several 1960s Ford trucks. Anyway, as I was getting on 75 south, I spotted this forlorn bunch of '60s-vintage pickups in what looked like a by-God junkyard. I went back around to check it out and couldn't find anyone. So, I inquired at the gas station up the road.

"Oh, yeah, that yard belongs to [can't remember his name - something like Izzy or Buzzy or Squiggy or Sparky or ??? I'll call him Sparky]. He pretty much lives in that abandoned gas station across the street."

So, off I went to find this guy, who I am calling Sparky because I can't remember his actual silly nickname. Sure enough, as promised, I could see some movement through the window of this dilapidated station right on 27 there, not far past the 75 on-ramp. I pulled off and walked up to the door.

"Are you, uh, [Sparky]?" I asked, cautiously, afraid he'd start throwing rocks at me like Ernest T. Bass or something.

Sparky mumbled something unintelligible, but it seemed like a friendly something, or at least it wasn't a precursor to me getting shot. He was a fairly old man, missing most of his teeth, not able to move, see or communicate very effectively.

"Yeah," I continued nervously. "Anyway, I noticed those trucks and cars over there, and was wondering if you wanted to sell any parts, or..."

"Nuh, I don't sell no parts," he said, speaking with slightly more inflection this time. "Them cars has been there for a long time and I take care of them and..." he trailed off into more mumbling.

"Oh, okay," I said. "Sorry to bother you." I started walking away.

"Whundya need, I got a lot of things, you come on and see." Huh? Suddenly Sparky WAS selling parts? Whatever the case, he started walking across 27 toward the junk trucks and cars. So, I followed.

I told Sparky what I needed and he showed me several trucks of the vintage I was looking for. It became obvious that each of these wrecks was like one of his babies - he treated them like they were new cars in the showroom. I made the mistake of opening the door on one junked truck, and forgetting to shut it.

"You leave that door open?" he slurred, in a chastising voice.

"Uh, yeah, I'm sorry." I hurried over and closed the door tightly. He was satisfied but obviously keeping an eye on me now.

We walked around his yard for a couple of hours. Amazing stuff he had tucked away back there. It may all be gone now, I don't know. I ended up buying a couple of wheels from him, and wishing I could have spent another week walking around his yard of treasures.

Sparky (wish I could recall his real name) knew every single junk car and truck in his yard. He was obviously not all there, but he would have known if even one hubcap went missing.

I sorta hope he's still there, puttering around his abandoned gas station and taking care of his junk babies.

Laughing
Dan
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of "aroundtuit"? I had one once!!! Ya'll have heard someone, or even yourself say,......."I'll get it done when I get "aroundtuit". Well.............like I said, I had "aroundtuit", but I still never got everything done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Ontoit and more! Reply with quote

This thread is hilarious! I've heard many "unique" phrases living in Michigan, and probably say alot of them myself lol

I have an online friend in Illinois. We had been chatting for awhile and I was thirsty, so I wrote to her that I was gonna go "git a pop", she writes back, "what's that?". I wrote back, "A Coke", she wrote, "ohhhh a soda". lol

One of the funniest things I've ever heard was from a former co-worker who grew up in the Detroit area. She was talking about her "doorwall". I didn't know what the heck she was talkin about. So I said, "what's that?" She says, "you know, those doors that slide open onto your deck?" I said, "oh you mean "sliders". lol I've never heard of sliders called a doorwall before, except from her. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and she's right??

Oh, and one of my relatives doesn't "wash" her clothes she hasta "wersh" them!

This thread also reminds me of some of Jeff Foxworthy's favorite phrases, such as "youonto". As in, "Youonto kick back and watch the tube?" Laughing
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo DAN,

I know the Junkyard you speak of... and the curator of same. Great story!
You nailed it. For all I know the curator "aka" spunky/sparky" could well have been the guy Mr. Golden Gloves took out at the Pinie? You know sucking face with GG's girlfriend? After his head got onto the car bumper, his old wrecks became his "special friends".

Always a great story to be told...
CONIS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: