Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Can't wait for our vacation!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Can't wait for our vacation!! Reply with quote

Hi there!
I'm new to the site and have been doing a little homework on the island because we are renting the McGeorge's house for the week of the 4th of July. I've gotten some great info from Clover and she has been really helpfull. If anyone else has any "inside tips" I'd really appreciate it. I'm so excited to see all the things I've been reading about. It seems like a great place to be and hopefuly we will get to meet some of you while we are there.

Oh, and one other question. We will not be bringing a boat. Does the ferry ever go to Mackiac Island from Bois Blanc? Does anyone know of a place that we might be able to rent a boat for a day or two? Or maybe a person who rents out their boat? Thank you for you help.
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know if the McGeorges check this site?
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 of my favorite things to do on the island are these: (1) Go out to Bible Road and head north to where it deadends on the north shore of Lake Huron. Put an outdoor recliner in the shallow water and lie there reading a good book and occasionally (or more often) look at Mackinac Island, which you can see from the Grand Hotel to Arch Rock, and to remote places north and east. (2) Go out to the point on the west end and look out at the Mackinac Bridge, Mackinaw City, St Ignace, and Round Island.

One other thing I have not done but want to is to take a kayak over to Round Island--only about 1500 feet from the BBI point, and hike that Island. It is a national park, I think, and has some nice beaches, a great view of Mackinac Island, and a nice lighthouse (made famous (or more famous) in the movie Somewhere in Time.
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Kayaks and bikes Reply with quote

I have to add to this post. My son and I kayaked and camped on the Island a few years ago and it was such a memorable trip. We kayaked the inner lakes, fished and photographed. Twin Lakes is my favorite. So many Loons and Bald Eagles! Not to mention great fishing. The sunrise and sunsets were gorgous. We also paddled around Round Island. It took just a few minutes to paddle across the channel, and is it ever beautiful! The rocks are so colorful and appear to be just inches under your kayak (although they can be 20 feet) I am planning some long snorkles there this summer!
Somewhere I have some incredible photos of the Round Island Lighthouse.... so beautiful photographed from the woods-end of the spit it's located on. We were warned about the MANY RATTLESNAKES on Round Island!! LOL, a rumor probably started by the same people that named Greenland and Iceland! From the shore views that we saw and what little time we spent on Round Island it Definetly needs further exploration! Solitude comes to mind.. you know, when BBI become so hectic and over-run with fudgies! A word of warning: From the Lighthouse, Mackinac looks so incredibly close, seems like such a simple little paddle across the channel! BUT! The constant traffic in the channel make for some incredible chop and some strange currents. We had our hands full just going around the Lighthouse. I'd think that crossing would be a very dangerous undertaking. especially in a kayak. We are considering doing it this summer, but early early in the morning and then after a day paddle around Mackinac, a twilight crossing back to camp on Round.
Another paddle we want to make this summer is around the Northern Horn and BBI Lighthouse.
We usually have extra kayaks along, so if this sounds interesting to any of you, keep in touch! We are hoping to be up sometime between June 15-July 15. Longer if at all possible, All summer if everything goes as dreamed! dave :-{)>
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Dave!
That sounds beautiful. But, we will have 3 kids under 3 with us so adventures like that just aren't possible. Maybe in a few years. But thanks so much for the tips!
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 3 UNDER 3!! That takes me back! I have 5 children and they are close in age. They are all grown now and between my wife and I we now have 7!. When my kids were young we did all kinds of things together. I'd take them to Chicago to the parks and zoos. people were amazed that they were all mine and so young.. at one time they were 7,6,5,4, and newborn! That was a long time ago... the kids are now 27, 25, 25,24,23,22,21 and 18. My only regret is the things we didn't do! They grow up so fast!
dave
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean!
Although, I only have 1 little one who is 2 so I don't have it too bad. But my sister will be up there too with my neice who is also 2 and my bestfriend has a 1 year old who will be there too. It should be an adventure in itself keeping them entertained. But they are all great kids so as lond as we bring sand toys I think they'll be good. LOL
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Rudy !! Reply with quote

Hey what a wonderful life !! All those kids !!

I think it would be so neat if you posted the kids pictures when they were young and now as they have grown !!

Its 75 here in Texas where I am at ... I am about to take my 2 year old Grandson out to play .. I have some Monkey Grass to plant .... My son and I planted a tree yesterday .. I have tons of birds that come to the feeder....

Its a wonderful day in TEXAS !!! #butterfly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its perfect outside, right now. I wish it was like this all year long. Another couple months it will be hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk. We won't be bragging then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Troy ... I also wish it was like this all summer ..

But I would not trade this heat in Texas for all that snow and cold !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Can't wait for vacation Reply with quote

One place to take the little ones while you're on the Island is the school playground. There's a slide, merry-go-round, swings, teeter-totters, and a couple of basketball hoops. There are balls in a trash can on the front porch, too, which is not locked.

Another place that kids of all ages congregate is the Pines Dock. You'll find lots of little ones and their mamas there on good days.

Enjoy your stay. It's truly a wonderful place! Very Happy
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: thats Reply with quote

Lani .. Yes !! The School play ground !! the kids always love !!

When I was there last summer I even went there and enjoyed it all taking in the flash of memories when I was a child !!
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Can't wait for vacation!!! Reply with quote

Hey, Fifi!
How are you???

xo
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Great !! Very Happy

So good to see you and Mike on here !!

Keep coming back !!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't Forget Square Dancing!
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesdays or Thursdays this year?
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square Dancing? Seriously?
dave
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't make fun of the square dancing...we've all done it...it is part of growing up on the island...i did it, my brother did it, my dad did it, all his brothers did it...it's just the way it is.

other than Taco Tuesday, it is THE social event of every summer week.
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats too funny! I love to square dance. We had to do in in high Scool gym class. At the begining everyone was like, "This is stupid!"
But by the end of the first week everyone was really into and having a great time. I bet my little ones would love it.

And now you have my curousity peaked. What on earth is Taco Tuesdays? LOL
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't just the dancing, it was everyone getting together. Our cottage was right accross the street and it was great having everyone gather each Wednesday night. We missed it last year becuase it was on Thursday and we were there from Friday night til Thursday morning. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, contrar, I wasn't making fun of square dances, I just thought that was way too cool! I grew up down near Saginaw and we had Friday night square dances when I was growing up at the little town hall. At the time I was especially fond of the cake walk! I haven't square danced in 25 years though! I bet the kids love it!
dave
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taco Tuesdays? Wow! The Island is a buzz with activities! I had no idea there was so much to do! ok, seriously! what's a taco Tuesday?
dave
katie
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ever since i could remember there has always been a "Taco Night" at the bar. When i was REALLY little, Sponge would make these amazing shells and he would be so grumpy that you couldn't even talk to him. Barb did tacos too...

the bar serves tacos once a week in the summer...that's it...even my grandparents always went.
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been shy about dancing. I loved to watch everyone when I was younger. Now that I have children who love to square dance, espescially my girl, I go to watch them. I've grown out of my shyness, and have found that I love it too.
Plus I get to see everyone, friends and family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: