Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Teaching job on Boblo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Teaching job on Boblo Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the rumors are true Crying or Very sad . I will be retiring at the end of June. I understand there are 20 apps as of now, but I'm sure most of these people have NO idea where they've sent their app.
The School Bd. is still accepting apps, as far as I know, but the interviews will not begin until April. If anyone is interested, send your app and resume' to Marcia Gibbons (secretary) at Box 876, Pointe Aux Pins, MI 49775-0876.
I may sit in on interviews, but I won't have much sway as to who is hired, I'm sure. Rolling Eyes
I have TOTALLY enjoyed my tenure here, and I will REALLY miss teaching. However, I'm so involved w/ so many other committments that I won't be at a loss for things to do. Wink
To all my former Island students: THANK YOU, and MUCH LOVE!!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Lani .. Its unblieveable how fast the years have went ...

It seems like yesterday we were talking about how many more years you had yet before you could retire .. It seemed like years and years away ..

I want to let you know how happy I am that you were able to teach on the Island the place you always loved so much ... I remember when we met .. as young children .. you fell in love with the island then ....

So happy your dream came true to live and teach on the island ...

I cannot believe it yet that you live at Sand Bay ... The place I spent so many of my young years swimming and beyond with my kids .. ...

May you contine to enjoy the island for many more years !!
I love you
~~Connie Faye ~~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Teaching job on the Island Reply with quote

Thanks, Fifi!
I'm So fortunate to have lived that part of my dream, and yes, we will continue to enjoy the Island for MANY years to come. This will always be my home! I love to visit other places, but as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home!"
XOXO Wink
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious--what teaching certification do the applicants for the teacher's position need? Elementary, middle school, high school? Are they open to applicants with college teaching experience as opposed to experience with younger children? Also, who is on the School Board making the decision?

As an islander, I hope that whoever they hire has a young child or children who will attend the school for several years. That would certainly be in all of our best interests.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: THAT Reply with quote

Yes that would be perfect ...
A new teacher with children ..
That is what I am hoping for too !! Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certification needs to be at least K-8, which most MI certs (continuing) are w/ a major. My cert is K-8 all subjects w/ double majors in Lang. Arts and Soc. Sciences. I'm not real sure just what the Bd. is looking for. You'd have to ask them. Members are: Marcia Gibbons, Mike Harrington, Cindy Riker, Sandy Younge, and Dale Hoffman.
Absolutely someone w/ kids would be wonderful, but..... who knows??
Apps are being accepted til April 30th, then interviews begin in May (just found that out). I haven't been privy to much info, as I'm an employee and laid off at the moment also. I'll be back to work in mid-April.
Hope that helps, Doug.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: keep Reply with quote

I remember the years we were so worried the school would close ...

We do not want that to happen .....

Teacher with children would be just right ..

I cannot wait to hear who the next teacher will be ....
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: the ideal candidate! Reply with quote

I'm thinking the ideal candidate for the job would be a person with oh, say about 23 years of teaching experience. A person with a real love for children, teaching and BBI! It wouldn't hurt if the candidate had raised 5 children of his/her own and although they were all grown, was considering foster children or adopting, not to mention grandkids he/she could convince to come live on the Island!! I think a BS degree in biology would be wonderful since the Island is such a natural setting, and of course a Masters's in Elementary Education would be a big plus too! A strong desire to live and teach the rest of his/her life on the Island would be invaluable, and strong morals and outstanding character would really round out the candidate! I do, of course want the best person to get the job and of course, I think the best candidate for the job is me! Very Happy
I'm sure with the many, many applicants for the position the board will have a tough time making a selection! It is a fitting commendation for the Island and its people that so many would apply for the position, which is, more than just a teaching position, an application to become a living breathing , working member of the community. A community that so many of us admire on visits, and through this web site from far away. Those of us that are lucky might even become part of the community through part of the summer, but to become a vital part of the community for the rest of our lives would be an honor!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you've applied, Dave? I know you want it but you didn't say.. Very Happy
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Application Reply with quote

Yes, I've applied. Had to! I've been dreaming of living on the Island since high school when I read an ad in the Saginaw News for hundreds of acres for sale on BBI.... I think it was about the same time they were advertizing for a care-taker for the LightHouse on Round. A young dreamer with fuel for those dreams! Unfortunately, I ended up going the other way.... ended up in Illinois after college and then on to West Virginia. It's been a great excursion, but I am ready to come home and follow those earlier dreams! Luckily I have a wife that is not only accepting, but fully embraces those dreams as well! I have applications in all over the state (except metro areas)... we figure if we can get in then we can start working our way north! We'd love to spend the rest of our lives Up-North, preferrably on BBI! I realize there are a lot of people applying, but I have to try... I'd have always regretted it if I hadn't. I'm a believer in fate and believe that it is tempered by our actions. We are constantly presented with things in this life.... some call them obstacles, others call them opportunities. We choose what to do with them. As a whitewater paddler I've realized that life is very much like a river. There is a flow that carries us through. We can fight it, or we can go with it. Along the way there are rocks, we can bounce off them, smash into them or paddle around them using the flow to aid us. Without those rocks it'd be like paddling in a pond. Rocks are good! They make things exciting! Life is a river, keep your paddle wet!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Rudy, I have heard that they are, or will be very soon looking for a teacher on Mackinac (sp) Island.. Check it out...
Uncle Steve

Uncle Steve
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Steve,
funny, when I read your post and saw Mackinac Island I went, "ooooo, yuck" LOL. Then I realized I ought to check it out, a couple islands away is better than a few hundred miles. We are anxious to move North! I'm so glad I have a wife that is as anxious as I am. She hasn't experienced a Michigan winter yet though, but she assures me she'll love it! Wink
I see you are an instructor at Ferris. That's were I went to college, have an AAS in Horticulture and a BS in education. My master's is from Marshall, here in WV. What area are you in? A lot of good memories from that place!
Is it warming up yet? My sister is coming down this week to check out the spring flowers, she says things are snowy but melting around saginaw. Maybe I can post some spring flower pics for ya'll later this week! Happy Easter!
dave
Al's favorite sister
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Go Rudy!!! You sound perfect for the job as teacher on Bois Blanc! Good luck with that! We still have alot of snow here at our place here in Kalkaska. It has been gradually getting warmer and is suppose to hit 50 tomorrow. It feels great! It felt really weird with Easter being so early this year. Usually the snow is about gone, and we got quite a bit less than we did last year.
We would love to see pics of spring flowers! And I am sure they will be wonderful pictures, because from what I have seen you are quite the photographer!
Hope everyone had a great Easter!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it Rudy, and I wish you the best of luck! Very Happy
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Al's Sisters Reply with quote

Thank you both so much! Wish you were both on the board!! Very Happy
I know that no one would work harder at the position than I would. I tend to pour myself into my work. We are on Spring Break right now. Rainy today but warm. My dog is laying with his tennis ball looking longingly out the sliding door. Speaking of pouring myself into work, I better get cleaning! Spring cleaning.... almost a waste of time with a big lab that has 4 mops for feet! Thanks again for the support! I look forward to meeting your family this summer.... I'm still working on the flow chart! Wink
dave
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Flowers Reply with quote

I am looking forward to your pictures Rudy !!
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rudy"]Uncle Steve,
I see you are an instructor at Ferris. That's were I went to college, have an AAS in Horticulture and a BS in education. My master's is from Marshall, here in WV. What area are you in? A lot of good memories from that place!
Very Happy

Rudy, I have been retired froM ferris since September 2003 , My first day of retirement was Labor day 2003. I was the Associate Dean of the College of Allied Health Science. One of our sons got his second BS from Ferris in Education.. He has been teaching in Roscommon Michigan, and Kirtland CC for the past 11years.. He is the one that told me about the M I position... He has worked on M I in the summers for the past 16 years +

Uncle Steve
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have met quite a few of the Ferris Pharmacy students at APhA and MPA meetings. They travel the farthest, but have the largest turnout. A fellow student has applied to the pharmacy program at Ferris. She started at Wayne State with me last semester, but had to take a one year leave because her mother was sick with cancer. I have heard a lot of great things about their program; they obviously have a very active student body.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: