Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

SPRING IS GONNA CUT LOOSE SOON!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: SPRING IS GONNA CUT LOOSE SOON! Reply with quote

We are bearing down on April! Wont be long. Seeing more signs every day!

I am reporting from Central Lower Mi, 25 miles due west of Mt Pleasant. Mid 50s here today/ sunny, no coat.

>Snow is melting fast... got mud o rama with frost coming out of the back roads.
>Lots of Robins, blackbirds and singing in the morning, Saw first sandhill cranes migrating north this morning. Lots of Geese, too.
>Saw first chipmunks out, yestersday. And two squirrels "in love".
>And some bees buzzing about in the sun.
>Sap Buckets are hanging on the Maples. (which always means 2-3 more weeks to green-up).
>Deer out in droves, in the corfields, mid day. They're hungry but look pretty good as far as health. Starting to shed out winter coats.

Lakes still frozen solid. We need a couple warm rains to pull the frost up and get the steelhead up the streams!

I read somewhere, that every 10 miles of latitude (in Michigan) equals one day +/- of seasons coming or going. This means spring will come about 15 days later than ours (In mid mi) at the straits, fall 15 days sooner, summer 30 days shorter and winter 30 days longer (overall). Downstate is a couple week ahead of us. I think this is generally true when one looks at the length of summer and duration of winter all the way from the south state line to the northern UP. Lake effects wouldn't be considered . Anyway, thought this was interesting.

Yo, Rob, lets lose the snowflakes?

C
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! What a beautiful day! Very Happy Lots of mud in the barn yard.. Our small herd of deer look pretty scruffy.. I hear tell there are robins but I look for the redwing blackbird before i call it spring.. My dog has been wading twice in the river.. She is gasping when she comes out.. LOL! Saw my first racoon roadkill. That's always a big sign of Spring. Racoon and posssums.. Rain is on it's way.. I alway expect one more big blow before Spring gets serious.. Happy Spring Everyone!
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but I think spring has sprung here. Tulips are starting to pop thru, buds on my lilac bush and we can acrually see the grass. Most of the snow is gone too. Just little teeny tiny white spots here and there. Even have seen a few robins. Seen a lot of road kill, poor squirrels. They are so busy. Wish they would stop, look and listen before crossing these roads. Sad I sure hope the county fixes all of our pot holes soon. Almost lose our cars in them. Spring---Think positive! Happy Happy Happy It sure is BEAUTIFUL here today and is suppose to be even nicer tomorrow.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: the Reply with quote

Its 80 here in Texas .. a nice day .. I have the AC on ..

Everything is looking green and budding out .. Our peach tree looks good ... maybe alot of peaches again this year ..

We had rain this weekend .. but it was sunny on Easter ...

WE are looking forward to going to the pool .... I know you Island folks are saying yuk !! but ya know I used to say that too after leaving the cold water of Lake Huron .. But I love the pools now .. What ever they are putting in the pools now do not smell like bleach and i am happy about that .. I did not like that smell ... ... it made me sick ...

Grass has been in need of mowing ... The Blue Bonnets are just starting to come out ..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Yeah... it's a comin... Reply with quote

Central lower supposed to hit 60s by mid week. Snow melting like crazy but still a foot deep in the woods.

We need rain to wash things down, bring the frost up and get the green-happening.

SOON!

Lets hear some spring reports!!!!

C
PS no signs fo daffodils yet. a few days, I'm sure. Been too cold until now.
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Spring and road kill Reply with quote

A sure sign of spring: heavy road kill! I have a better understanding of the whole process since teaching 8th and 9th graders! Sure is a good thing there aren't cars in the hall ways at school, although a few buckets of cold water wouldn't hurt!
Too bad there isn't a way to teach the animals to wait in ambush in the potholes! Possum + Pothole= smooth sailing! Ambush is the correct word too, I really think that there is some kind of pact among critters, rabbits in particular, that insures a quick pass to Nirvana if they score a firect hit on a Goodyear. I have swerved into both lanes and at least one ditch and STILL they find my tire! Kamakazi Rabbits!
Did you know that our legislature actually put a law on the books a few years ago legalizing roadkill procurement and possesion? Gives those deer on the curb a whole new look! I'm still waiting to see a group of good ol boys along the interstate with a fresh kill on a spit... you know it's going to happen!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a robin out my window this morn lookin for worms and on the way home a bunny hopping out of my way, hope the cat doesn't get him. He got 3 last spring. Sun is shining and people are smiling and even tho there are alot of spring colds going round, everyone seems especially happy.....always a good sign! Very Happy
jeff
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conis,

you said you were 25 miles west of mt. pleasant, were at i use to live down that way.

jeff
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Lisa Reply with quote

Oh !! When its spring time in alaska its 40 below !!
( been there ..done that)

Oh Exclamation Opps !! I am gettting off track here ..

What I started to write here is ..Yes Lisa ... Smiles come out when the Robins do !! Very Happy

The down side of spring for me is that I Always .. Always .. get so lonely for all my family that is so far away in all directions ..... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff wrote:
conis,

you said you were 25 miles west of mt. pleasant, were at i use to live down that way.

jeff

Yeah... Blanchard (but in Mecosta county), 5 miles south of Remus, 1 mile east of M66. Between Jackson and 4 mile rds. I recall Shiela telling me you folks were originally Mecosta-ites? Not much is different out in the hinterlands. All the little lakes have all the little cottages torn out and replaced with mega homes. This isn't news.

I'd stay put on BBI!
C
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Coon squeezins and possum drippins. Reply with quote

Amen to the road kill.

I don't know what it is about the first big spring meltdown. Brings the possums and coons out in platoons. And the Goodyear factor helps keeps them in check.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way. This statement comes from "Conis the staunch conservationist" I believe anyone who lives in the hinterlands would tend to agree with me, especially re racoons.

They have a niche in the wild however... they are prolific and without any real population control besides "goodyears". They are also the most inquisitive, brazen, fearless and thus destructive creatures ever invented by god. Opossums are a nuisance. Coons? I saw first hand what happened inside a friends house when two of them broke in while he was on vacation.

Last night they were all over my deck, tearing up the bird feeders, digging in the flower pots. About 6 of them. Run them off and they are right back with backups in 2 hours. As long as they stay in the woods, they are good to go. When they try to get in the windows... well... Plan B. I am tolerant to the point where they start ripping up the screens, which they were doing, last night. Most of them won't be back tonight. Sure sign of spring. The annual coon assault...

Just to my south is an 40 acre corn field. As the snow has been melting, the deer have been coming in, in droves. I would estimate there were between 125-150 does out there just before dark, last night. Maybe more. I am going to try and get some pictures this evening.

C
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the tolerance level for raccoons.. They are allowed to raid the feeders but we have a pet door to our porch and coons can't resist.. If they go with a shooo they will survive the night. If they bare the teeth or act aggressive in any way they are history. Coons Will Kill your pet for it's food! I don't feel bad at all.. Call it cruel or population control.. Those coons are smart.. They move on if the going is tough for them.

My Mom told me a story about my Grandpa spanking baby coons at the property line of the farm here near Sharon so they got the picture! Can you imagine? LOL! I also remember the coons on the Island coming to the window to watch us eat dinner. Grandpa would take them the scraps afterward.. What a treat to see a bunch of coons following my Grandpa out to the property edge where he always fed them.

Possum + Pothole= smooth sailing! Wink thumbs_up! #roll_on_floor Laughing
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: coon o rama Reply with quote

Al's Sister wrote:
I'm with you on the tolerance level for raccoons.. Coons Will Kill your pet for it's food! I don't feel bad at all.. Call it cruel or population control.. Those coons are smart..

My Mom told me a story about my Grandpa spanking baby coons at the property line

Yes... they will kill whatever thay can catch that looks like food. With fur prices down, hunting pressure is low. They have no predators except for humans, goodyears and very brave coyotes.

Yes they are smart... which is their own undoing. They will come down a chimney, in a pet door, through a screened window... any opportunity and once they find a way, they won't give it up. Just invite their buds to join in the festivities.

I rememember several years ago, walking in the woods, I came across 3-4 kits (?) maybe 3-4 weeks old. Totally fearless. They approached me and within 2 minutes hand both of my shoelaces untied. I backed off a few feet and tied my shoes. Here they come and untied again. Actually pretty funny, at the time.

I could have easily reached down and picked one up... and then what? I have seen coons kept in captivity as pets. They are amazing animals, no doubt about that.

About 8 weeks later, these same coons had grown up , found the house and were tearing stuff up every night. SO... I have never had much luck live trapping them, easy enough to catch but they will destroy a trap.

Whats up with grandpa spanking them? I would be afraid of one of them biting me? And looking in the screened window during dinner? EGADS! Funny during dinner, not so funny at 2am. You guys were playing with fire.

And so goes life in the hinterlands. Coons, possums and all.
C
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandpa had a soft spot for any living creature.. He was spanking babies not much older than your babies you encountered.. Grandpa was training those babies to stay away! Very Happy As far as the coons on the Island.. Well, it was a regular family and Grandpa's own private pets, I guess.. Probably trained in a similar way! My brother, Al, had a coon for a while.. Raised from a baby.. The DNR took it away from him because of no permit.. Al always felt bad cuz the coon didn't know much about caring for itself and he thought the DNR might of just let it go in the wild.. We are pretty lucky they don't bother us too much.. Very Happy
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes I remember Al's coon !!
Al had it when he lived with us in Lansing .... We all got really attached to it and felt very sad when it was taken away from him ....
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: tales from coonville Reply with quote

I can see things drifting here. Lets keep this thread ontoit with spring.

IF someones to start a coon-story thread, I'm in, with more to tell.

Bumped 60 here today, took motercicle ride #1 of the season and it was AWESOME. But invigorating... Getting out to the pavement was a trip.

Snow is down big time... but hazing up, wind out of the east and barometer is dropping. Not good. Not out of the woods yet. We are gonna git one more in-your-face, rude winter blast. Lets not forget the freezing rain fun...

We get these warm weather glimmers for a day or three just to get our blood flowing and "the stink blown off"... I havn't put away my coat, gloves and boots yet. I did take the snowplow off, which maybe I shouldn't have.... Maybe ought to put it back on just to prevent more snow?

C

PS Since it is spring, I decided it was time for a new dog (see avatar) to help fend off the coons. (PSSSSST What do you think? ). I think he is too sexy for his lips. Needs a set of Foster Grants or something?
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis, your doggie is oh so cool. Check out those eyes and mouth. Love it! Think Spring!
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I too think we're do for one more good blast. It sure has been nice these past few days.

I just got my 'puter back from the repairman. I'll rid us of the flakes and update the homepage sometime next week when I get a little time.

Conis, every time I see that pic it gives me the creeps. Crazy
repeater
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Spring time ???? Reply with quote

Here in Antarctica it's late fall with snow and 10 degree temps. It's still light so it'll be a little longer to spring for me.
islendbird

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dennis :wave: good to hear from you.
Al's favorite sister
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis, every time I see that pic it gives me the creeps.

Rob, are you talking about the puppy or the blinking eye? I think his puppy is cute! His eyes are kinda human like!
What kind of dog is he, Conis?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al's favorite sister wrote:
Conis, every time I see that pic it gives me the creeps.

Rob, are you talking about the puppy or the blinking eye? I think his puppy is cute! His eyes are kinda human like!
What kind of dog is he, Conis?

A coon dog, of course!

Rob, he asked to see a photo of your dog!
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis,

All of your avitars have given me the creeps!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boisblancgirl wrote:
Conis,

All of your avitars have given me the creeps!!

#monalisa April fools!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: