Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

the old light house
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crystal
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: the old light house Reply with quote

hello this is crystal gask,

My younger sister Stephanie is doing a school project on the old light house, and she is building a modle of it, and I was wondering if it was a possibility if anyone knows the demensions of the the old light house. How long it is, how tall, the tower heigth, tower width and length, and of course she says its due thursday May 19, 2005, and that is two days away.

thank you,
crystal
islendbird

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by islendbird on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just google it. There's lotsa info out there.
crystal
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You,

Oddley enough, I did, google it and found not a whole lot on the demensions, so i will be doing the best i can. next time she'll have to learn to look things up and do her own projects and not wait untill the last possible moment to do it.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet this project will be a big hit with the teacher ...

Lets know how it went Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Which old light house? Reply with quote

I see this old post has the heading that I wanted to use, so I have. I haven't contributed to Island history for a while so here is a little.

There is, on Lighthouse Point, the latest lighthouse & tower. Prior to that there were two older towers and one older lightkeepers house. The first keeper was Eber Ward. Eber senior forgets to mention in his little report, that I scanned, that his son of the same name, while on the island, sold booze to the soldiers on woodcutting duty from Mackinac. Eber senior almost lost his job over that incident. Eber junior went on to become a millionaire though. Also the fish business Eber mentions also almost lost him his job because he was reported for attending more to fishing then care of the light. When the first light fell in a storm in 1837, he was not at his duty but at Mackinac Island. He left care of the light to his daughter Emily who tells that tale of the light falling. Click below to read Eber's own words.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1517

Sources:
National Archives, Lighthouse Service, Lighthouse Site Files, RG 26, Entry 18, Lighthouse Letters, Volumes 7 through 31; Index to Lighthouse board Correspondence; Michigan Site File.

MI Pioneer & Historical Collections, Vol. 6, Incidents in the Life of Eber Ward.

The Way Thing Were by Emily Ward

"The Keeper's Log", Fall 1994, Emily of Bois Blanc Lighthouse by Katheryn P. Seestedt.

Library of Michigan, 11th District Report of Lighthouse Board 1891, P. 147, and 1902, P. 206

Last edited by mikewhite on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
SusieQ
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: old light house Reply with quote

Mike,
What book did you get the information from you just posted? I have been looking for island history books.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Responce to SusieQ Reply with quote

SusieQ, I edited my post and added my sources. Have fun researching.

I did gather it all together and wrote a report called "Lighthouses on Bois Blanc Island Michigan". You can read it at the museum on the island. If you can find back posts of "The Tatler" you can also find it there.
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Emily Wards story about the old lighthouse Reply with quote

That was a pretty good story about the old lighthouse falling down , someone should make it into a childrens book, with pictures. Like the one written about the sleepy bear dunes. The legend of the loon , I believe was about Mackinaw Island, and there are several others. Emily Wards story should be told over and over again. Kids would enjoy her courage Question
flymom
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for sharing! Are the National Archives Lighthouse Service files searchable on line, or did you request microfilm/fische copies?
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a short children's story about the island. Need an illustrator. Know of any? I want to publish it really badly.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it about the lighthouse, Rosemary? I can draw but I can also change images to drawings and watercolor too.. Cool I'll tell you who can draw.. Mike's super-daughter, Lana! Shocked Very Happy
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply to FLYMOM Reply with quote

It was neat getting that information. Here is how I had to do it. You go on line and fine a phone number to call. You make an appointment for a certain day on a certain subject at Washington DC National Archives. I went and found the Archives which was the old one near the capital. I walked in and told them that I had an appointment. They sent me to a room and brought Two large rolling carts full of stuff about lighthouses to me at my seat. I sat there the rest of the day searching for who is buried behind the lighthouse. That was my goal. I never did find out.

The way it is done may be entirely changed by now. The Archives moved to a new building somewhere.
sbuck
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF EMILY WARD Reply with quote

MY LOCAL LIBIARY SENT FOR A COPY OF (THE WAY THINGS WERE) BY EMILY WARD. THERE IS A PICTURE IN THERE OF HOW THE OLD LIGHTHOUSE WAS READY TO FALL. COULDN'T THIS STORY BE TURNED INTO A BOOK FOR CHILDREN, SHE TELLS HOW SHE CLIMBED THE OLD STAIRS IN THE STORM, AND BROUGHT ALL THE STUFF TO THE GROUND SAFTLY. IT COULD BE DONE SO EMILY WARD'S NAME STAYED WITH THE TALE OF THE FALLING LIGHTHOUSE?
flymom
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks for your info - some of the National Archives stuff on lighthouses has moved to Bethesda MD - but it would still be fascinating to visit for a search.

If you're referring to the grave by the lighthouse (with fence) - I am fairly certain it is Olive Church, wife of Willard Church, keeper from Sept 1843 to Sept 1845. Doing genology research on my family I found a Mackinac County cemetary reference that mentioned the grave of Olive Church on Lighthouse Point. Here's the location:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mimackin/cemetery/cemetery.htm

I also found notation somewhere that Willard Church's wife died during his service as keeper, but I can't find the reference or source at this point. Sorry.
flymom
Plaunt Pal
Plaunt Pal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't located my other Olive Church reference, but take a look at this site. Terry Pepper is one of the foremost Great Lakes lighthouse officianados, and his site "Seeing the Light" is highly regarded. He spends an incredible amount of time researching for the historical compliation he writes on each lighthouse. His entry on the BBI light house is extensive and he cites his sources at the end.

http://terrypepper.com/lights/huron/boisblanc/boisblanc.htm

Enjoy!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks Thanks Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know who is buried out there. The rumor I originally heard was that it was a lighthouse keepers wife. Years later I heard that maybe children were also buried there. All speculation.

I visited the Mackinac County MIGenWeb Site some years ago or some similar site and that information was not there then.

Willard Church traded places with Eber Ward in 1843, lasted two years, and resigned.

Terry Pepper "clipped" my article about the lighthouses out of the Tatler and didn't give me credit for writing it. I contacted him and he put my name on his site as the source of the information. I will go back and re-read to see how much it has changed. I agree the guy has done a great job. Everyone should check this site out.

By the way, you may have a list of keepers. On that list, the keeper Charles Syons is not correct. His name was Charles Lyons. The source is the census for that period.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Took a Look at T. Pepper Stuff Reply with quote

I went to Terry Peppers site and it has been updated a lot. The artlcle on the Bois Blanc light has been re-written and my name removed. I think he found the original sources and referenced them. It is great work.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Light house Boundary Monument Reply with quote

For those who like to have an excuse for wandering around the jungles of Bois Blanc, here is a monument that few have seen. It is 6 inch by 6 inch square at the top and is made of granite. I darkened in the letters on top so it can be read. Good luck finding it. Is there anyone on this site that knows where it is?

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1595
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

The one in the picture is out on light house point. I know where 3 others are in the reserve, but dad and I can't find all four corners south of light house pointe. If I remember right there is 2 I have seen out on the pointe.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Hi Tony Reply with quote

Hi Tony,
This is the only one I have ever seen. You and your dad have covered a lot of territory out there. Got me beat by a mile. Sure are some big tangled up messes of downed trees out there. Someone has cut the roads open just wide enough to squeeze though.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I believe that there is two out on the point and I have seen them in the reserve, don't know how many never paid that much attention and a lot of years ago. Victor and tony would no that better then me anyway. I used to hunt that area a lot but I think the last time was with Bob Williams and Uncle Gail Crouch. And that was a lot of years ago.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike and Kevin,
If Iím not mistaken the one in the picture is about Ĺ way out on the east side.
There is one on the east side of the point near the road at the base of the point.
It is real close to and old road (you can hardly follow any more, used to be a reserve singe near it). Then there is one due south of that one I would say a mile in or so. If I remember right the other one we found is on the west side of the base of the point. I thought I had seen one more out closer to the light house but was a long time ago, age has shot my mind (you know how it is Kevin) (:>}
Send more pictures Mike it is fun to try to figure out where things are.
Thanks,
Tony Babcock
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: The Fourth Light Tower Reply with quote

I like the country out there and I will be looking for more monuments.

After the lighthouse was closed a fourth tower was put up that didn't require a keeper. That would be after 1924.

The Wooden's ran a camp for girls for a few years and the fourth tower was there at that time. See the picture:

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1599
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thatís cool, I didnít know about that. The only one other than the building I remembered is the one just north of it.

Thanks,
Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: