Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

the old light house
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Hartman
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been to the lighthouse many times and think it is really interesting. i think it would be interesrting to see what it is like inside.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Lighthouse Tour Reply with quote

Last summer there was a conducted tour of the inside of the lighthouse. I think my sister Susie took pictures on that tour. I'm not sure who conducted it. It might be possible to arrange another tour??
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure... I got a last minute invite to tag along with Mitch Begle.. He does some care-taking for the Jahn's property and was showing friends.. It's not something that happens regularly..
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-4 years ago... I and two bud's were at the light house... out cruising the island in a Kawa Mule. HUGE wedding reception going on when we pulled in. No clue who... I asked some gal if it was OK if we walked aound. "Sure! You want a tour???" We got the tour allright.

The inside has been restored to "authentic" perhaps as it would have been when it was a functional lighthouse.. Light house "things", Gas lamp chandeliers, very austere. Had that authentic-certifieed "lighthouse feel".

Now then... climb the winding circular stairs to the actual light house... 3-4 stories up with metal grate steps... Made it up just fine.

The lamp mechanics are long gone. The view through the windows in the tower is beyond description.

And this is where this tale begins for Me, "Mr. Lighthouse Wimp"

I don't do real well with heights. Below the glass in the tower is a small trap door that allows a person access to the catwalk around the outside. Crawl under the glass hands-knees. OK, why not? Out I went. A twinky little rusty 1/8" cable was the security between the catwalk and 80-100' fall to ground = certain death on a "what if". Three or four minutes out there, wind blowing, view taken in, all absorbed to my satisfaction including the death view-what-if variable...Thrill o meter maxed out and go back in the tower to look out through the glass with much less stress.

Someone... had this 150lb black lab that OWNED the tower... Fly up and down those steps totally fearless... And here is weenie coward me, trying to come back into the tower through this trap door, hands and knees and this Lab on the inside thinking this was a game and I wanted to play? Everytime I tried to come in. CHARGE! I am hanging on with my fingernails, for my life! Finally got back in after 3-4 tries. It wasn't pretty.

With that crisis resolved. Down the circular steps. See all the way to the bottom through the grates... Thinking to myself... One mis step and I am toast. IF you are ever in that tower, treat the steps as a ladder and come down backward so you have something to hang on to. When I made it down. I sat on a picnic table for 45 minutes with leg cramps... Then I could walk again.

Quite an adventure! Been there, done that! Would like another tour!
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember spending lots of time out at the lighthouse when I was in my early teens. I dated one of the Jahn boys. I don't remember it being scary to climb the circular stairs up the tower or coming down. However when at the top looking out the glass, I remember it feeling like the tower was going to topple..........weird.

One advantage with having lots of summer friends is that I've spent alot of time in several of the very old cottages here, and have spring cleaned almost every single one of them.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: stairs Reply with quote

Years ago I was in side the lighthouse and I agree with conis .. they were scary !!

My mom was in many cottages cleaning too when I was growing up ..
It was a very special treat that I was able to see inside some of them ...

Then later I had many friends that would come up for the summer .. so it was an extra special treat that they shared their summer homes with me ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link of a pic that Susie took, on her little tour.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1400

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Section 5 Monuments Reply with quote

I went out Memorial day to see if I could find another Section 5 monument.
I located the South West corner monument in a deep dark cedar swamp. Here is a picture of it.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1625

My next goal is to try and find the SE corner. Note that the letters on top are the same as on the previous one posted. It may be that the letter E stands for engineers.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: MIKE Reply with quote

Good for you Mike !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: monuments for section 5 Reply with quote

I returned to section 5 today and located the southeast corner monument. It is like the others, white granite, squared off on top, letters US LHE on top.

Felt so lucky that I went for the monument at the shore that marks the boundry between section 4 & 5. I found it, but it is a small round cement thing with re-rod in the center. Searched for a granite one for quite a while anyway, but no luck.

All that is left to find to mark all sides of section 5 is the west boundry marker at the lake.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, it was good to see you this week - thanks again for sharing your photos.

After some digging around on various lighthouse-related Web sites, it appears "USLHE" stood for U.S. Light House Establishment. In fact, a few folks have discovered similar markers near other lighthouses. Fascinating stuff (to me, anyway).

Dan
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Establishment Reply with quote

Yes. Establishment makes more sense. I suggested "Engineer" because I had found that officers of the Corps of Engineers were detached from the War Dept. to the Treasury Dept. to act as Light-House Engineers in each of the 16 districts. Circa 1893.

I Googled and found that the governing body of the Light-House Est. was called the Light-House Establishment only from 1789 to 1820. But, the whole organization was called the Establishment up until around 1890 to 1910, when it slowly changed over to Service.

It would be nice to know when the monuments were placed. I need to find some information that I have misplaced that might shed light on that.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Search for monument Reply with quote

Bruce McAfee and I searched for a boundry marker between the reserve [sec. 5] and section 7, at the shore. This boundry was marked by a little rectangle steel sign on a tree on the inland side of the road for years and years. That marker announced that you were entering the reserve. It is gone. The one on the east side is still there, on the right as you enter.

Bruce and I looked for quite a while and found nothing. My luck ran out.

For those who would like to see one of these monuments, the easiest one to look at would be the one out on light-house point. It is at:

UTM E0700940 N5075179

Thanks Conis for telling me about UTM coordinates.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Markers Reply with quote

Terry Pepper has been reading this stuff about the lighthouse and contacted me. His records show that the lighthouse property was surveyed in 1828 and 1888.

The 1828 survey probably refers to the one done in 1827 by Lucius Lyon. One of the purposes for that survey was for the establishment of a light. In that survey wood posts and trees were used to mark corners.

So that means that the granite markers supposedly were placed around 1888.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: