Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

What is your favorite spot....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: What is the BEST spot on the Island? Reply with quote

May need catagories for this.... What is the BEST spot on the Island? I have 2 personal ones, but I'm wondering what everone else's are!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best spot for me is in the middle of Mary's Lake, listening to the lapping of water while you lay back in the canoe and watch the eagle soar early in the morning, with the mist is still on...descriptive enough? A few years ago when we had beavers on the lake they would swim up and slap the water by the canoe if you were just sitting in the middle going nowhere! It was great!! Second favorite spot...out by Mary McRae's grave, up on the hill.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorite spots are: The pier west of the lighthouse in the northern tip of the island......Laying in bed in the cabin at night listening to the waves crash against the shore........The bar when it was open.......Anywhere on the north shore......Wow! Hard to pick one favorite!
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting on the Munro's 'porch' swing listening to the quiet of BBI while observing Mackinac Island (from the Grand Hotel to Mission Point) and imagining the horses clip-clopping along the streets of Mackinac Island and the thousands of tourists wandering the island--some looking for history and some for souvenirs. The contrast between the two islands, and the knowledge that in just a few minutes I can experience peace or activity--and always with an overall sense of the history of the Straits--is very satisfying to me.
Pami-roo
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cindy!

What happened to the beavers? Are there still any in the lakes of Bois Blanc?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about where my favorite spot is and can't single out a one! When I set foot on the Island everywhere is my favorite.. Laughing
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, there are so many! One of my favorites is the little spit between the Twin Lakes. Seems to be a flyway for Loons and Eagles. The sunsets/sunrises are beautiful there too.
dave
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite spots change as I get older. When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to get down to the dock. We only took a break when we got hungry, at which time we'd visit another favorite spot - the Pines Hotel. Jenny would feed us lunch if we washed a bin of dishes or packed the salad bar with ice. We played with the pianos in the lobby, and challenged each other to games of checkers on that crochetted checkerboard. Of course all of that is gone now.
Then we'd run next door to the Hoover Community building, listen to music and horse around.
Now I am happy to be at Sand Bay, where my people are. And I enjoy all the new spots that my dad takes me to. I love the whole place.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite spot sadly has no beavers back Crying or Very sad ... yet. But the good news is that they are in the areas west of the lake where the water was flowing out. Unfortunately for the trail past Mary's Lake, to the north, because there is a spot where the water runs over the road and that section is pretty much under water...lots of water Surprised , but if the handy little fellows get busy this summer they could have that damm replaced at the end of the lake by midsummer and the trail will dry up without all of the water flowing through it! I'll keep you posted!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most favorite place is Sand Bay, a place for family and friends to gather and to lounge in the sun and watch my kids play with their cousins in the water. My next favorite place was around grandma's kitchen table at the cabin, still is a great place to sit and visit with my family.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's home!!! What more can I say??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Bobloette Reply with quote

My favorite place is the soverign nation of Bobloette.

Last year, Canadians staged an assault then took it over in order to establish a democracy there. Before that, absolute chaos and tyranny.

You have no idea of what/where Bobloette is?

OK. Now... If you had an island in the middle of a lake, which was located on an island, in the middle of a lake, what would you call it? Rumor has it that a pond with an island in it may developed on Bobloette. Then that island should be named it BObettette.

Whomever knows the place I speak of wins a year's subscription to "The places no one would ever think to look for you", journal.

Where is "Bobloette"?

PS, If you go there, you may encounter resistance from the natives.
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: I win, I win, I win!! what was I won?? Reply with quote

Lake Thompson!! It's hard to explain the concept to a bunch of people who live on the sides of hills, but I've tried!
dave
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I stood on Bobloette while trying to unstick a fishing lure the year before last. An island in a lake on an island in a lake, yep it would be Bobloette. Very Happy
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have been on that Island with my dog, Mackanac. It was his first trip in a kayak (he was 6 weeks old). He had his first shot of tequilla there too. He ate some beaver scat while I was fishing and I became very worried he might get Giardia (beaver fever) so I offered him some tequilla, hoping it would kill the parasites (I guess it worked, he never got sick). Every time he sees a bottle now I have to explain that it is ONLY for medicinal purposes! I'll try to post a pic of his first trip!

By the way, I'd prefer BBIII!!
dave
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should open up a tiny little tavern on Thompson Island... (The unimaginative name we always used) Wink

Dan
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Bobloette Reply with quote

Ok.. OK... You guys all win.

I hope you had passports because that place is under Canadian rule after they took it over in a vicious battle with the DNR weenies (who wanted to clear cut it).

Dan has the right idea. Relocate the tavern on BBette. I wonder how many people we could get on that island to bring it to standing room only? Bring out a boom box, some firewood... a canoe shuttle from the landing...good to go. Could become sort of an annual ritual? Only the brave at heart, survive to tell the tale.

Food for another topic here? I'm definately in on this one.

C
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis,
I jumped right on that because I figured the journal was another of your drinks![quote]"The places no one would ever think to look for you", journal. [quote] I'm guessing it's a vodka drink! I've had a couple of "the places you'd never look for yourself" drinks, but those of course were made with tequilla.... there may or may not have been a finger in them.

OK, tell us the story of the Canadians and the DNR..... what the heck are they wanting with the logs on island II?
dave
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Prime directive!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Rudy… Rudy… Rudy. You totally missed the prime directive. You need to get off the internet and start packing your combat gear for a recon mission.

Item #1: I called Canada and they said they were OK with code name SNBBDUECE (sovereign nation Bois blanc island/ island. So we are good there.

Item #2: Open your history book. Ownership of SNBBDUECE goes back to the battle of 1541 when France, Peru, Iraq and China wanted the gold, uranium and kryptonite deposits on SNBBDUECE and Canada wanted the beaver scat and the Mi DNR wanted the lumber. Remember that brutal/bloody confrontation? It was before the war of 1812. It really hasn’t been resolved since Canada spanked the DNR in 1903 and told them “Dear sirs, please leave” or otherwise get out… Cause they called dibs, first, and haven’t gotten over it. It has been kind of impolite ever since where they wont return phone calls etc.

Item #3: “places they would never look for you” isn’t a vodka or tequila drink. (but could be) This is operative code that you were supposed to translate (with your SNBBDUECE codebook). In order to take action and urgently respond in order to defend SNBBDUECE . Got that?

Item #4: I just got off the phone with the CIA. They said there were insurgents positioned on the North, South, East and West shores, waiting for an ATTACK signal. We wouldn’t want that, now would we?

This is your mission, should you decide to accept it: You are to depart the Lake Thompson landing at 0:4:00hrs tomorrow with scuba gear, armed with cruise missiles. Rob and Dan as back up.

I will be expecting a full report and will relay it to Canada.

DO NOT FAIL! SNBBDUECE fate lies in your hands.

Code name Conis.

PS, Don’t tell anyone I sent you this encrypted message: @34sfkdjoiohosdfswjhokznfsdfdonutdie4nuttin.

PSS, I also called the Coast Guard for back up. They told me they were Really-REALLY busy, and would make it if they could."Not their coast...not their problem...

marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is hilarious!!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dateline: Friday AM.

Since we have not heard anything from Rudy, we can assume he has accepted the mission and is somewhere out in the middle of Lake Thompson, scuba-ing around and reconing the situation. We have been watching for him to surface, on the spy satellite postioned over SBBBDUECE.

What I forgot to mention to Rudy was that SNBBDUECE was inhabited by spirits. Space aliens with leprosy, King Strang, Richard Nixon and many others... All of which have transmuted themselves into cedar trees so as not to draw attention. The last time I was out there, I split a ham and tuna sandwich with Jimmy Hoffa, who has cleverly disguised himself as a beaver.

Dont' believe me? Go out there and study knots on the the trees and you can see their faces. Of course a bottle of tequila will asist in unlocking these mysteries. After a couple bottles, you can hear them talking to each other and will you may want to join in especially when Elvis starts singing "heartbreak hotel", which has always been a BBDUECE favorite.

Please stay tuned:

Code name: Conis

rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OO
O
O
O
O
O

O
O
#Shocked blub, blub.....
hoffa says he's cold, Crying no @$)*^!!

Have seen what looks like a DNR officer in a boat, can't seem to make up his mind which way to go #Sleep . Have a rash in my wet-suit.... biological warfare #Onfire ? never trust a canadian! #Usa
attack eminent, so far no WMD, but who cares, they'll understand! #jumping
PS: which side are we on?
dnutdie4nuthin
#monalisa
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Mission accomplished? Reply with quote

Quote:
PS: which side are we on?

Right now, it's every man for himself. Might as well claim it and start your own country.

This just in from the Canadian Defence Ministry SPY-SAT.
It looks like a good news/bad news situation.

Good news: It looks like you found your way (eventually) to BBduece. so this would make the mission sort of a success?
Bad News: The insurgents have Lake Thompson surrounded; You might as well stay there as you will never get off, alive.
More bad news: Your support team, Rob/Dan and back on the landing drinking beer and are going to pass out or bail.

SPY-SAT image #1 of 2

OK... Now that you are there, The CIA has sent me this other one.

Looks like you aren't out there alone, Ol' J.H. might be a tad grumpy. The good news is you will have someone to sing with, or discuss politics.

The Other good news is that the tequila stash is only 25 meters NE.
The Bad news is there is only one bottle and Nixon has already been into it. You two can duke it out over the worm.

How much air you got left in your tanks? Let me know if you need some and I'll fed ex it, next week (today is Friday)

C
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: you Reply with quote

you two Laughing are just too funny
lol lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News Flash! I didn't get the island teaching job..... may have been that last post! Shocked Look out, now i don't have to behave myself anymore! #evil It's ok, I'm liking this double agent stuff better anyhow! And Conis, what ever you are having, save me some!
Extraordinary grafics!

air is running low, but EP says he can fix me up a cocktail to lower my metabolism, if he can just get his PDR back from Belushi. Margaret Thatcher says "hi, and stay the hell off my island".

News Flash #2
I am Claiming BBduece as rudyland.... any chance the Swann's Man and the LaBatt's distributer can add me to their runs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: