Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

My Road Sprinklers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: My Road Sprinklers Reply with quote

I decided to leave my road sprinklers on while back here in St. Louis. The first year I did this, claims came down that they ran non-stop for hours. The heads were turned towards the beach to "fix" the issue. I find it highly unlikely that they ran that long. Perhaps the original story was that they ran even during rain? At that time I did have some trouble with the rain sensor but it has since been upgraded. So now it's on for the real test and hopefully I have the sensor calibrated correctly.

If for some reason it floods the road, there is now a switch in the pump house (formally the top of the outhouse) on the beach to turn the system off. Mike White is familier with the system so he can also be contacted. Just don't pull the hose from the water and run the pump dry!

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
autumn
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long has those sprinklers been around? They seem like a great idea and a good car washer as well.
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put our's in maybe four years ago. I think they first started appearing perhaps seven years ago put I'm not positive. People have mixed feelings about them. You get the people that slow down to get the dust washed off their car but then you also get some walkers and joggers complaining. If they could just live on the road for a summer without them, I'm sure they'd stop complaining.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sprinklers in front of Marconi's have been there for better than 15 years.. Maybe the first ones to go in? That would be the Palmer House for those who may recognise the place by that name.. I admit to teasing the kids one time who rode by on their bikes and giving them a squirt! LOL! Oh, the good ole days... LOL!
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather complains about them spraying his car. I tell him to think of it as a free car wash.

That's amazing that the Marconi's sprinklers have been there that long cause it sure doesn't seem like it. I hate how the older you get, the faster time moves.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Sprinklers Reply with quote

Eric:

I vote for the sprinklers, knowing how the lime dust gets when it is dry.

I assume you are pumping water out of the lake? Must add up as far the the old electric bill? Nothing is cheap any more.

Question: Do you have the pump on a timer or light sensor? How big (like 1/2hp) is the pump you are using?

C
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the size of the pump. It could be 1/4 or 1/2hp. I really wish I had written that type of info down. Just the other day I needed to know the GPM and the picture I took of the pump is not clear enough. If anyone here wants to open my pump house, read the sticker and post the info here, go right ahead.

I have it on a timer. It runs 9 times in 24 hours. Three 7-min periods during the morning hours, three 10-min periods during the afternoon and then three 7-min periods in the evening with the last being at 10:30. I think I have them set to run about every 1.5 hours or so. The pump is a jet pump normally used with a pool. It can be wired for 110 or 220 but is better at 220 since it requires less amperage and therefore less power. I have taken my amp meter up to really see how much it costs to run but for 96 minutes out of the day, it can't be THAT much. The clothes dryer spins the meter much faster.

Yeah, I use the lake as the water source. It's been a pain since the water has dropped. I now have to dig a pit for my foot-valve to sit in. Now the problem is that with the water levels and the reef, all types of slimy algee crap grows that wants to get sucked into pipe. I have a screen over the valve but the screen can get gunked up and reduce the water flow. I could run the pipe way out across the reef but that would be too long for the pump to pull. Last year I tried digging a pit in the beach right near the pump so as to kinda make a well but couldn't get deep enough for an adequate supply without getting a backhoe.

I really wish I could figure out a way to put a moisture sensor in the road that way it would run as long as it needed and when it needed to keep the moisture at the right level. I can just picture it being torn apart every time the grader goes by.
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grader still goes by?

it's been too long since I've been on the island!

;)
hoverusa
Eric Evans
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about after every heavy rain or we'll have potholes everywhere.
autumn
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better Potholes than Pavement and all the city lights
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: