Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Future of the Island?!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does increasing development and population on the Island concern you?
yes
67%
 67%  [ 38 ]
no
32%
 32%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 56

JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Future of the Island?! Reply with quote

Hello All,

As a fourth generation Islander, the Island means the world to me, as I am sure it does to all of you. Has anyone out there been thinking about the future of the island? Where do you see it going? Where would you like it to go? Why do you love the island? Has anyone out there ever heard of sustainable development?
These are a few of the many questions I would like to ask all of you who value the island. I think it is well beyond time to start taking charge of our slice of heaven. Lets make some informed decisions about the future.

I believe that we can all work together to organize, discuss, and implement processes that will help to conserve the "sense of place" and quality of life on our island.

If anyone is interested in hearing more or getting together and discussing this and other related issues please reply ! I also have more information about sustainable development for anyone interested.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its about time someone adressed this.
ambs
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something that's been on my mind an awful lot... now if i only had suggestions to go along with it
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesskidder:

I am pretty much with you on this subject. You need to look back a year or so ago, Jan-Mar 04 when zoning/ building came up on this site. This subject was run into the dirt. Sleep well. Status Quo lives.

In those posts, I brought up what happened when Tom Monahan (Detroit Tigers owner /Dominoes Pizza Franchise owner) “took over” Drummond Island with mega development $$$ and wrecked the island. All pre zoning. Back in the 80’s, No zoning, no way to stop him. What happened then and there will never happen on BBI, now. Suggested reading.

By development, you mean what? You can’t stop progress. You can’t prevent change. Are we talking about a few new summer homes each year, or Mackinaw Island/Disneyworld II moving in?

First off. BBI is 70% (+/-) state owned. Unless the state gets wild hair^ to sell property, that land is off the list. On BBI, that ain’t happening. Great Lakes islands are high priority with the state.

So we are down to 30% salable. Of that 30%, 20% of it is family owned; has always and will always change hands privately. This is the good land, lakefront etc that will never see public market. Stuff that was built back when it was possible to build it, back in the old days.

So we are down to -10%. Of that -10 %… There is what? 2-3 commercial properties (zoned) on BBI? Geeze. There is a 6 week “populated” season. The island can support one bar /eats place and a B&B. Two businesses, as is. The old bar ain’t gonna open, sorry. Go-broke proposition.

The airport improvements? Needed for residents. I really don’t think it is going to make any huge development/access impact. On what?

So… on the 10% of available “marginally-developable” land, you may see a couple new mega summer homes and a few more cottages. What is worth “developing” as a vacation place, already has been. The cost of building from scratch on any island, in these times, is huge. If someone wanted that, they would be $$$ ahead to wait for an existing fixer-upper, few and far between as it is.

BBI zoning has looked forward. Gone are the free for all days of camper trailers with plywood additions “camps” littering up the woods. Power is expensive to bring into the back woods. No one is going to spend $150k on a cottage/code-built “house” where power isn’t close any time soon. Then sell it to who? No Power, no construction, no development. Anything built will be worth while and add to the islands value.

I don’t have my plat books in front of me. There are 2-3 large blocks of land held in family trusts, corps or whatever. To develop these commercially? Welcome to BBI zoning. Ain’t happening.

BBI is what it is and will be. There will be new, low impact, construction here and there. I very seriously doubt there will ever be large scale commercial development. It just isn’t there. Tom Monahan (days) is lone gone. Times have changed.

I may be wrong, but I see the long timers on BBI having put things in place to protect what they have. Called zoning and I believe it will work. Those in control, call the shots and make development decisions, just as it should be... and in the interests of those with a stake in BBI.

Sleep well.

C
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a large number of acres of state land up for trade or sale. They have finished their land usage program and are trading parcels right now, this spring 100 acres+/- went up for sale in small parcels all over the island from a land swap with the state. Most people don't want to go through the process (sometimes 2 to 3 years long) to acquire state land but the forms and the paperwork to start are on the DNR website. I would like to see limits, like on trailers etc, but they have those ordinances in place already. It would be great if the DNR/DEQ were to make wetlands determinations for the entire island instead of bit and piece here and there. So when you looked at a piece of land you would have that information available. People (us) need to remember that on BBI, we all have to be responsible for what shape we leave it in. A conscientious decision for each of us to preserve the island yet use it at the same time. Each time one person decides to bend the rules to suit them, whether it is driveways, trash, campfires, riding without helmets, fishing without a license, wrong septic systems, cutting trees on other peoples land, building in wetlands, it hurts the emotional part of Islander, the feelings part, because then anger gets in the way and clashes with that almighty greed for a dollar and the person who thought they could bend the rule was only thinking of themself, not the Island as a whole. Not the feeling part that we all crave for. I mean lets face it, we all love the island. We have to start with ourselves. Not maybe, possibly, future development.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to the fact that there won't be any HUGE developmental impacts because of the airport paving, but at the same time I feel that there will be some influx of people in the market for property. Pilots just like to fly, and you can guarantee that next year when the facilty directory shows BBI as a paved strip, you'll get more people flying in with bigger airplanes. Bigger airplanes cost more money, and I'm thinking people with money wouldn't be hesitant to buy property in a place which they are attracted to. It would just be interesting to see how much development/property ownership increases over a 5 or 10 year period after the runway gets paved.
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy,
I looked all over the DNR website and at all the land available. I didn't see anything about the island. Can you help me out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: future of the island Reply with quote

Conis,
Let me clarify a few things... when I said developement I DID NOT mean continual physical/economic growth. This sense of the word development, is neither biologically nor economically possible whithout destroying the umbilicus between ecosystem and economy (an ecosystem includes all living organisms interacting with their nonlivng physical environment, considered as a unit)

Development in the context of sustainable community, means personal and social transformation into a higher level of consciousness of cause and effect and a greater responsibility to be one another's keepers through all generations. While we are on the subject of definitions let me define a few other words I used... Community, in the sense of sustainable development, focuses on the primacy and quality of relationships among the people sharing a particular place (BBI) and between the people and their environment, particularly their immediate environment. Sustainablility, in teh sense of community development, is the act of one generation saving options by passing them on to the next generation and so on.

Zoning was brought up.... In the sense of Sustainable Community Development, zoning is the predetermined division of land based on what people think its best potential use is. While "best potential use" is meant to be in the most sustainable social/environmental sense, it is usually parlayed into disguised economic growth through political power from which few benefit financially. Whether or not this is the case on the Island, I do not know, nor am I implying that it is so. Zoning, therefore, like most ideas that are used as tools in human endeavors, has both beneficial and detrimental effects with respect to a sense of community within a landscape. Which of these alternatives (beneficial or detrimental) depends, of course, on the self-centeredness or other-centeredness (the personal morals and integrity) of those who make the decisions. Perhaps at the time when the zoning was put in place maybe those making the decisions were making them through informed awareness or not, I do not know. Again, this is why I pose such questions. Why not ask the questions, discuss them, and evaluate the current system. Is it working toward what we as "Islanders" want? Is it working toward our collective vison for the future?

Let me recap, Sustainable Development is often percieved as a nonlinear process of systems thinking through which the social significance of nonmaterial wealth, qualitative values, and heritage of both cultural diversity and identity can be account for in social decision making.

Sustainability often has at least 10 essential elements..
1. understanding and accepting the inviolate physical principals governing Nature's dynamics.
2. understanding and accepting that we do not and cannot manage Nature
3. Understanding and accepting that we make an ecosystem more fragile when we alter it.
4. understanding and accepting that we must reinvest in living systems even as we reinvest businesses
5. understanding and accepting that only a unified systemic world view is a sustainable world view
6. accepting our ignorance and trusting our intuition, while doubting our knowledge
7. specifying what is to be sustained
8. understanding and accepting that sustainability is a continual process, not a fixed end point.
9. understanding, accepting, and being ACCOUNTABLE for intergenerational equity
10. understanding, accepting, and being accountable for ecological limitations to land ownership and the right of private property.

10 things to think about indeed...

Here is another definition of Development that I feel is applicable.. Development, in the context of sustainability, is a process of DIRECTED CHANGE, of social maturation if you will. Development as social maturation is a psychological transformation, which causes people to voluntarily reach beyond the immediacy of self-centeredness in a conscious effort to be accountable for the effects present decisions may cause in the future. Development thus becomes a process of change guided by the principles of social and environmental justice-for all living things, not just humans, present and future.

Last edited by JessKidder on Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy! We are on the same page!

As far as getting the DEQ to map and regulate the wetlands on the island entirely and not just piece by piece is possible. Currently, I do not know if they have the money to just come and complete this project. However, if we (the islanders) get together and start talking and getting the ball rolling we can apply for a Costal Zone Management grant and hopefully receive enough funds to hire a GIS/Remote Sensing Firm (there is a great one based out of Michigan State University that has already done work for Mackinac County) to map the wetlands which will then lead to better regulation and avoid current and potential violations.

Sounds like we all need to get together and chat.
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, we certainly do get the sensitive issues going here from time to time! I'm still trying to change my avatar to a Cormorrant! I think we all have similiar feelings on this issue, they just come from slightly different perspectives! I am an Island lover, and an environmental tree hugger! I am not an Island land owner, but would love to be! I have realized the paradox even before becoming a true land-owner on the Island. In a perfect world I'd own it all and no one else would have any! I truly believe that those of us who TRULY love the Island feel that way. And who hasn't seen development that hasn't thought "gee, how much further North will I have to go to find solitude?" I noticed a particularly tall (virgin?) pine on the eastern side of Round Island and have already wondered how long it would take before the DNR guys located my tree-house? I do hate to see the lanes built and the land cut up into tiny lots, but again, not all of us can afford those 10 acre beach front estates. I was disheartened to read the post from the DNR stating that row boats could no longer be left at the put-ins. There is the end of an era, I thought sullenly to myself.
I do want to buy property and I want it to be the last lot sold! Selfish? You bet! But isn't that what this is all about? and selfish isn't always a bad thing if it protects the things we love.
On a closely related matter:
Pam has been in contact with a botanist or two from Lansing, discussing the flora of the Island. We did quite a bit of floral shooting while there and were astounded by the diversity and quantity of plant-life on the Island. I agree that a far-reaching plan should be developed to save a qualitatively and quantitatively diverse wetland. An Island wildflower guide is in the works.

Finally, as previously stated in an earlier post, we must take the first step in preservation of our world; think globally but act locally is more than a trite cliche'.

A few Gentle Reminders for campers:
1. There is no trash pick-up along the North Shore, so cans thrown in the low areas along the roads will remain there unless picked up by future campers (you insensitive (&^(&^)@#!).
2. Toilet paper and feces burried a few inches under the forest duff will remain there for only a short time, (yes alice, skunks and racoons do eat *poop*!). Please bag your debris and take it out! (a nice seat that snaps over a 5-gallon bucket can be found in the camping section of some stores and then the bucket can be lined with walmart bags).
3. Fires do not consume everything thrown in them (including cans, bottles and diapers).
4. Cedar, especially green, is a poor fire log, as are almost all green growing trees and shrubs! Leave your dan'l boone hachet at home and burn fallen timber and ugly drift wood (emphasis on ugly!).
5. Don't break glass around camp!
6. Pull your tent stakes up, don't just break them off!
7. Leave your nails at home! Trees have feelings, and although they don't seem to mind ropes and straps, nails make them bleed!
8. Make sure your fire is out!
9. If possible, leave a little kindling and wood for the next camper that will probably arrive at dusk just like you did!
10 Leave the camp better than how you found it!
and for the hunters: beach goers hate seeing your spent wads and shells along the beach almost as much as the ducks do! Pick them up!

There, I feel better!

Be the only mark over my grave
dave
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Sensitives issues indeed ..

But thats a good thing ... We can all share how we feel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to vent, but people should pick up after themselves and careless people shouldn't be allowed to use public places! I think the golden rule applies here as well as everywhere else in life. If everyone would leave an area better than what they'd expect to find it we could all be happy and live without so many rules!
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudy thumbs_up!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

Rudy .... When I menioned the "sensitive issues ".. I was not talking about

what you said about cleaning up the beach ... I was agreeing with what you said ... I coped and pasted it below ....

"Wow, we certainly do get the sensitive issues going here from time to time ..."

Last edited by theeislandgirl on Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Development Reply with quote

I started going to the Island in the early 50's. Then in 72 circumstances would not allow me to return except for day visits once in a great while. When I started going back to the island I could not belive how things had changed and in my opinion not for the best!

It was not the BBI I remembered. I understand it is about all state land but there must be developers that are working on control of what private land there is. I see new roads being carved out and land surveys being done everywhere.

BBI is a beauitful place and I think we are close to a point of no return as far as keeping it's isolated beauty and not over using it's natural wonders.

To simplelistic ? Maybe and Maybe not! Some times the KISS method is the best.

No matter what the Island will always be special to my familly as it is to all of you.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

Hello Jim ...

Welcome to the site .. Keep coming back Exclamation

I would say you are an ole timer and seen the best of Bois blanc ....

I dislike all the rules that have been made .. some of which had to be made and alot that has not ......

Good to see you here Jim ....
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie Faye
I know it will never be the way it was but I can dream!
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just returned home from a four day visit from the island. My first visit was ten years ago. While I dont have memories of long ago like some do, I know that the island has changed dramaticaly, (and in my opinion NOT for the better) in just the last ten years. For instance, in '95 I don't recall seeing the first "Posted, No Tresspassing" sign. They are everywhere now. I can only guess if they are being posted, it's because people don't respect the island or the other islanders as much as in the past. What really sets me off, though, is the lack of waving. I remember when EVERYONE on the island waved at EVERYONE else. Sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I didn't count, but I'd estimate that less than half of the people I waved to actually returned my greeting this weekend. Is this the kind of "devolopement" we want/need?

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. My family and I still had a wonderful weekend at the cabin and around the island. Just wanted to get a couple of things off my chest.
Dave
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Rudy thumbs_up! to the Gentle Reminders
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Jim .... Yes alot of us have wonderful Memories of Bois Blanc In the days of our youth ....
Happy Happy Happy

Dave .... Rant all you want ...... This is the place to do it ...

On the front page we were told we could share Memories .. Thoughts ..
views ... and opinions ..... This is what makes this site ..... If we could not talk about how we feel about out beloved Island then we would not have a Bois Blanc Site Exclamation
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hi Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:
Jim .... Yes alot of us have wonderful Memories of Bois Blanc In the days of our youth ....
Happy Happy Happy

Dave .... Rant all you want ...... This is the place to do it ...

On the front page we were told we could share Memories .. Thoughts ..
views ... and opinions ..... This is what makes this site ..... If we could not talk about how we feel about out beloved Island then we would not have a Bois Blanc Site Exclamation

Right on Connie Faye
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave...If I was there I would have waved at you....
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Dave!!
Dave Cox
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AlsOtherSister and Jim. I still wave at everyone. I realize that not everyone coming to the island these days is used to "friendliness", so I guess the best we can hope for is that we convert them, rather than the other way around.

Dave
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically that's what I try to do....convert.

I wave at everyone, whether they wave or not, and sometimes I will see that car again, that didn't wave....and that time, sometimes they will wave back. Just doing my part!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: