Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

My first trip was in October

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samspath
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: My first trip was in October Reply with quote

When you love someone so and you love something so, your hopes and fears are tangled in the wish that the someone will love the something as you do. But when that something is so very special, how can it be anything but beautiful for those in love.

My first trip was in mid October. It was the most beautiful day. The sun was shining, the sky was gorgeous, and the trees were brilliant with color. We were only on the island for a few hours and it captured me.

My second trip was the following September. We stayed a week at the B&B. People we met told us we were lucky – it was the best weather they had had in quite some time. It seemed last summer hadn’t been the best, in terms of weather.

We explored the island, we made it back to the lighthouse, we saw the sunset from the beach on the west end, we saw the bridge in the fog, we watched the lights from the mainland, we heard the buoys on the big lake while in the woods near Thompson Lake. The nights were cold but we snuggled together. I saw my first rattlesnake (“Honey, is that what I think it is?”), I was more intrigued (and respectful) than scared. I was glad that my husband and Shelby caught the snake and released it out in the woods. The snake means no harm – you respect him, he’ll respect you.

My husband believes the Island is a special place. There’s a certain magic there. It’s a place that connects people. It is such a part of his life (he has been coming to the Island since he was two). And, it fascinates him how he meets people anywhere and everywhere who are also connected to the Island.

We had only been there a few hours when another couple arrived at the B&B. I looked out the second floor window and wondered about the couple – who were they, where are they from, why did they come? I went outside. They were unloading their car. The woman saw me and started to greet me. I had the strangest sensation as I looked at her. I know her! We went to school together! As it was, all four of us grew up in the same small city and here we were on the Island at the same time. Now, for most of my life, I have lived within 15 miles of the house I grew up in and I’ve never run into anyone I went to school with and here I was hundreds of miles from home, running into people I know.

It was a wonderful week of exploration, fun, and quiet peace.

The day we left it rained.

This year (so far Very Happy ) we came up in May. Again, the weather was beautiful. My husband was pleased, as he was still a little nervous that I wouldn’t like the Island and, like each time before, the Island has greeted me with such splendor. Spring was well on its way – little purple flowers, like none I had seen before, were growing thick along the road we walked. The days were warm. The food (and the ice cream!) was good at Hawks. (I didn’t even really mind the bat that flew in the window of Hawks. He was small and lost. With considerable calm, Dan opened the window near our table and guided the bat out with a menu. And, we all laughed about the moment of the bat.) The night air was warm and gentle. The moon was so brilliant that we could easily see, even in the woods near Thompson Lake.

The day we left it rained.

My wonderful husband has shown me a beautiful place and it has become a part of me. During our time in May we discovered someplace wonderful and we plan to return soon and often. And, to soothe the small worries of my wonderful husband, I will tell him that I know the sun is always shining, even if it rains

Samantha Reynolds
-----------------------------------
Dan and I will be back on the Island for the weekend of the 4th. I hope to meet some of the people whose posts I've been reading here on the site.
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful story. It makes me want to be up there in a bad way. I also have had a funny incident with a bat, read my post in the summer stories thread over in the chit chat forum. I can relate with your husband (perhaps not on as high a level) as I remember the first time I took my then-girlfriend to the island. She loved it as well, and I hope when I have the chance to take my new girlfriend up there, she will fall in love with it as I did so many years ago.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the story, Samantha! You are a wonderful writer and your observation skills are excellent! Soo glad you are one of the many 'loveit' people.. Bet Dan is relieved.. Laughing Also glad you have joined us here at the site.. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: