Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Vacation questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rsyork
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Vacation questions Reply with quote

Hello to all,
I have been lurking on this board for awhile, reading about your wonderful island.
In July my family will be visiting for a week. We have rented a house for the occasion. The house is on the beach. I am pretty excited as well as the rest of my family.
I just cannot wait to relax and explore your island.
I was hoping all of you could give me some vacationing advice.
Where is the best place to watch the sunrise/sunset? What sites are a must to explore?

Thanks so much for any adivce.

Renee'
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like sunrises at the Pines or Snake Island. But I'm usually still sleeping.. Cool Sunsets on the West end or North shore. Bring fly swatters and bug spray.. Skin so Soft from Avon works excellent to repel the beach flies..

Welcome to the forum, Renee'. Don't be shy now and drop a line when you get back from your stay on the Island.. Very Happy
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to purchase a tour map from the Historical Society. They are available at Hawk's for $2.
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We discovered a pretty cool phenomenon while camping on the North shore. As you probably already know, BBI is a good bit further North than the 45th Parrallel, almost to the 46th. That of course makes us over half way to the North Pole (from the equator). While watching and photographing the sunset over Mackinac Island, I was hypothesising where the sunrise would be in the morning. I was happy to find my predictions to be pretty close, (it was actually a little further North in the East than I thought). A person wouldn't have to be too much further North to have at least a glow in the Northern sky all night long! The sun reached it's furthest point in it's Northern climb on June 20th (Summer Solstice). Now each day is getting a little shorter, and it is heading back South. Kinda cool to think about the sun going Up-North too! AnywaY, to answer your question, I highly recommend you catch the sunrise and sunset below the cross on the end of Bible Road. If you are a Christian this may even be more of a special moment, but if not, you'll be in a great position for the coming and going of Old Sol.
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoyed the sunset from the West End, and when I am on the Island, I am never up early enough to see the sunrise, its a vacation for crying out loug! Laughing Laughing
Rsyork
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I get so busy in my daily life that I forget to appericate the mere act of watching the sunrise. Yeah, I know it is a vacation but I want to at least watch one sunrise, besides I can also take a nap as I sit on the beach and listen to the water (and or flies).
LOL

Thanks again
Renee'
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember the bug spray!! We just got back from a quick overnight visit.. We caught a sunrise and sunset.. Pics soon.. The beach flies were tough and we got swarmed by mosquitoes at the crack of dawn.. Stay with the breeze and have a great time! Very Happy
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Glad Reply with quote

Susie .. I am happy you got a trip in to the Island ..

Looking forward to your pictures ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now you guys have me nervous. We will be up there Saturday and I'm scared we will be eaten alive. I'll be sure to drench myself and my 2 year old in bug spray!!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid bugspray if I can but the dawn mosquito swarm changed my mind in a hurry! Laughing Even my dog got a dose..
marybeth
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right to assume that they arn't as bad near the the beach?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the breeze really.. I notice when I'm wet they are there to aggrevate me.. They feel like a bee sting or a jolt of electricity when they bite.. A nice heavy breeze or a real hot sun sends most into the woods.. Skin So Soft works great too.. No wind on the beach and they all group together there to attack you.. Shocked
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: shes Reply with quote

Shes so right !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rsyork
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing thanks for all the advice on the bugs. I will try and prepare the family. We now have bug spray and skin so soft. I will draw the line at a net hat. Laughing

How has the weather been? I live is lower Michigan (touching the Indiana state line) and it has been HOT Confused

Thanks again. You all have made me so excited. I cannot wait to get there.

Renee' Very Happy
Chris
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Renee,

We live in INDIANA touching the MICHIGAN state line :wave: Where are you located? We live in Howe, IN- just south of Sturgis, MI a couple of miles. Yes- it has been HOT here! Been watching the weather at BBI- looks pretty nice there. You are going to love it!

Chris
Rsyork
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually work in Sturgis. I live towards Battle Creek! Small world!!

Maybe we will get that rain they keep telling us we are gonna get. Too dry.

Renee' Razz
rudy
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were there 2 weeks ago the wind was so strong that if a skeeter lifted off it wouldn't have been able to land til finding a wind eddy in Detroit. I'm sure I heard several skeeters spatting as they hit cedars at the back of our camp! They generally don't get too close to me anyhow as I prefer Irish Garlic soap this time of year, along with garlic burgers and garlic shnapps. Seems to work well keeping the annoying people away too! #Onfire
Be the only mark over my grave
dave
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

Yep .. Garlic will do the trick .. My brother Lonnie used to eat Garlic like crazy and take the Garlic caps ... and it worked !
Rsyork
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I got home last night from my BBI vacation! I have to tell you I had a wonderful time. Beautiful!
We did attempt to explore the island, a little. I seen the sunset and I even managed to get up early enough (on two mornings) to see the sunrise. Of course I took a nap both days but it was worth it. The view was unbeleivable. We were right on the water.
As we drove around (husband and my 3 sons), we made sure we waved at everyone. So if you seen a truck full of wavers, that was us!
My husband went fishing and caught the largest small mouth bass he has ever seen. He was thrilled.
The flies were not too bad, we adjusted well. On the first night, after we tested the water, we notice two ladies out in the water with fly swatters. Not a bad idea.
The weather was wonderful. We had 6 kids with us, ranging from 16 yrs old to 3 weeks old. They all had a great time and found lots to do.
We did stop at Hawk's for ice cream and T-shirts.
Thanks to everyone for your advice and humor. You have a beautiful island and I enjoyed my stay.
Renee'
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Renee'! So happy you all enjoyed yourselves! Very Happy We want to see pictures! Did you get any? Sunrises are the best.. I try to catch at least one when I go up.. HHmmmm, Flyswatters! Why didn't I think of that! Laughing Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: