Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

How do you get to ......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: How do you get to ...... Reply with quote

the old mill sight that I have seen pictures of? It's the mill that has the old truck near it. I've been there once but I can't remember how I got there! There is also another neat place that I can't remember how I got to either! It was an old house on the water(I can't remember which end) that had some neat fieldstone in it. Someone told me one time that an artist owned the cabin. It didn't look like anyone had been there in years when I saw the place a couple of years ago. It seems like the place had some fieldstone pillars outside near the water. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks....B. Knoll
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the mill you are talking about, with the old (1926 or so) Dodge truck parked outside. I recall the truck had a company name with a Woodward phone number on the door (started with "WO"). There's a picture of it on the Hawk's Landing web site. My Dad took me to the mill site a few times as a little kid, probably because he always wanted to buy a sawmill. I think it's actually been a working mill in the recent past, maybe still is... I don't know. There is a fellow by the name of Tom Boulan who owned a mill on the Island, and that one may have been his (I don't know).

Anyway... As I recall, it is on the far west end, where the main road straightens out, and to the north side of the road. There's quite a clearing there, or there used to be. It's hard to see anything from the road - you have to drive back on the overgrown two-track driveway a little bit. And I swear that we saw the remnants of a railroad track in that clearing, probably in the late '70s or so. I'd be curious to know if it's still there.

Take care,
Dan
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Great info! Reply with quote

Yes...it is still functioning....I have some cool pics...will have to dig them up! Lisa
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that mill is there and working off and on. It is privately owned by Bill Westcott, and you would need his permission to go in there. It is on the west end of the island, but you can't see if from the main road, (too many trees). The railroad tracks that Dan Renolds mentioned, are still there too, but they were for carting the sawn lumber from the millhouse into one of the storage buildings. Saved carrying it all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: